collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:41:27 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:07:56 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:00:22 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Brewers Back to the AL?  (Read 5973 times)

Benny B

• All American
Brewers Back to the AL?
« on: April 21, 2010, 08:38:53 AM »
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AucfIh8uEGDUHEHdj7GO1LkRvLYF?slug=jp-alignment042010

Jeff Passan suggests that instead of realigning divisions in MLB, simply scrap the divisions and go back to a two-league format with the top four teams in each league making the playoffs.

Honestly, I don't care about realignment... what caught my eye in the article is where Passan, as an aside, said that perhaps MLB should go to 15 teams in each division, "move Milwaukee (or another willing participant) to the AL..."  He isn't the first one to suggest this.

Why does everyone assume Milwaukee would be first in line to go back to the AL if offered the chance?  I can't speak for everyone, but I'm perfectly happy with the Brewers being in the NL and always assumed everyone else was. 

Personally, I think NL is a better brand of baseball (I like the requisite strategy involved when pitchers hit), and the rivalry with the Cubs is great for baseball and the fans.  Not only does it serve the Brewers economically, but it also gives Cubs fans (including those who care more about their safety, convenience or simple restroom technology than "historical significance") another alternative to watch a Cubs game close (sometimes closer) to home.  Move the Brewers to the AL, and not only does the Brewer brand decline, but so does the Cub brand (minimally, not significantly).  Sure, you get the Yankees once a year to help with the ticket sales in Milwaukee, but the Twins and White Sox will never provide the rivalry that is Brewers/Cubs.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Brewers Back to the AL?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 09:02:45 AM »
Interesting because the scenerio that's rumored is the Brewers joining the Big Ten and the NL then grabbing Butler with dominoes then falling in various directions.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 09:04:20 AM »
Pshaw.  The current format is great.  The only tweak we need is to kick the Yankees and Red Sox out of the league.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 09:19:04 AM »
I'd be for it with the caveat that Jeff Suppan is required to stay in the NL.

Plus, it would bring back the older(meaning better) rivalries we had in the AL the first time around.  Nothing the Cubs have done compares to the old days between the Brewers and Sox.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 10:31:53 AM »
I'm for the realignment to eliminate divisions OR for the Brewers to move back to the AL. Not both.  I don't want to have to deal with the Yankees and Red Sox taking up two of the playoff spots every year. 

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 10:40:55 AM »
Stupid! Keep them with the Cubs and Cards rivalries.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 10:43:42 AM »
Stupid! Keep them with the Cubs and Cards rivalries.

Is there really that big of a rivalry with the Cardinals?  And the Cubs rivalry just seems more contrived as a way of hating things Chicago.  I feel its similar to people mentioning a Cubs-White Sox rivalry. Just because two fan bases don't like each other doesn't mean its a rivalry.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 10:51:44 AM »
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AucfIh8uEGDUHEHdj7GO1LkRvLYF?slug=jp-alignment042010

Jeff Passan suggests that instead of realigning divisions in MLB, simply scrap the divisions and go back to a two-league format with the top four teams in each league making the playoffs.

Honestly, I don't care about realignment... what caught my eye in the article is where Passan, as an aside, said that perhaps MLB should go to 15 teams in each division, "move Milwaukee (or another willing participant) to the AL..."  He isn't the first one to suggest this.

Why does everyone assume Milwaukee would be first in line to go back to the AL if offered the chance?  I can't speak for everyone, but I'm perfectly happy with the Brewers being in the NL and always assumed everyone else was. 

Personally, I think NL is a better brand of baseball (I like the requisite strategy involved when pitchers hit), and the rivalry with the Cubs is great for baseball and the fans.  Not only does it serve the Brewers economically, but it also gives Cubs fans (including those who care more about their safety, convenience or simple restroom technology than "historical significance") another alternative to watch a Cubs game close (sometimes closer) to home.  Move the Brewers to the AL, and not only does the Brewer brand decline, but so does the Cub brand (minimally, not significantly).  Sure, you get the Yankees once a year to help with the ticket sales in Milwaukee, but the Twins and White Sox will never provide the rivalry that is Brewers/Cubs.

The Brewers came over from the AL so it seems logical to many people that they'd be the team to go back. IMO, it would make the most sense to move Houston to the AL West if they were going to go with two 15-team leagues.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 11:27:40 AM »
the first problem with any baseball realignment is the trying to associate Texas teams with the "West" division.

I thought the NL was more lucrative than the AL, but I do like the strategy of NL baseball and pitchers hitting regardless of money, so I'd prefer the brewers to stay.  the NL East and AL East need to be realigned somehow. I think there is too much talent in those divisions. Both have 3/4 great teams with a pretty crappy bottom dweller.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 11:32:20 AM »
Is there really that big of a rivalry with the Cardinals?  And the Cubs rivalry just seems more contrived as a way of hating things Chicago.  I feel its similar to people mentioning a Cubs-White Sox rivalry. Just because two fan bases don't like each other doesn't mean its a rivalry.

It's a common misconception among Brewer fans that Brewers-Cubs is a marquee rivalry in MLB. The truth is, the Cubs don't really consider the Brewers a fierce rival and Cub fans don't have an obsession with the Brewers like many Brewer fans have with the Cubs. Yes, they had some heated games a couple years ago but that was largely based on the circumstances (i.e. the pennant race). Similarly, the Cubs had a brief "rivalry" with the Astros a few years back when they were both contenders and playing intense, late-season games. As the Astros fell off, the "rivalry" dwindled. As the Cubs and Brewers both appear to be trending downward, the rivalry will likely follow suit (although, admittedly, the close proximity of the cities will keep the rivalry alive slightly longer than the one with Houston). If you think about it, the Cubs didn't really become the Brewers' most hated opponent until the Brewers became a good team. I remember going to games in the late 90s/early 2000s and most Brewer fans thought of it as just another game...except that County Stadium actually had people in it  ;)

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 06:41:08 PM »
The Brewers will never move back to the AL as long as Bud Selig is around. The revenue the team generates from the Cubs games mean too much to the franchise. They had nothing even remotely similar when they were in the AL. The Cubs are a guaranteed sellout every time they visit. In fact, it's likely one of the biggest reasons the teams switched leagues...many people thought other teams made more sense.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 07:02:39 PM »
Can we talk about Marquette going back to Warriors now?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 07:13:19 PM »
The Brewers will never move back to the AL as long as Bud Selig is around. The revenue the team generates from the Cubs games mean too much to the franchise. They had nothing even remotely similar when they were in the AL. The Cubs are a guaranteed sellout every time they visit. In fact, it's likely one of the biggest reasons the teams switched leagues...many people thought other teams made more sense.

Kansas City was the first team asked to switch, but they said no.  I'm not sure of what the circumstances around that were though.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2010, 10:45:25 AM »
I think t is also a little cheaper for the Breweres to field a contending team in the NL than the AL due to the fact that you don't have to pay for an extra bat to occupy the DH.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2010, 09:31:28 PM »

Yes, the 3 million in attendance was all from the 9 or so Cubs games, and nobody went to the other 72 games.  They had nothing similar in the AL because they didn't have a brand new park to draw fans, and when that got old follow it up by actually winning some games and paying players. 

It's easier to compete in the NL.  They aren't going to ask, but I'd be surprised if any of the teams volunteered to move to the AL.  Maybe a couple of the teams out west since the division has only four teams to compete with.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2010, 09:58:24 PM »
If we go to the AL, the Pirates better come with us.

MUFC9295

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2010, 01:55:51 PM »
Interleague play made divisional baseball even less relevant.  Winning a banner in a garbage division is a dubious honor to say the least.  AL NL... even that distinction is antiquated.  Even in the other major sports, winning divisional titles is more akin to every little Timmy and Johhny feels good by getting equal playing time.  1 league and winner takes all.  No need for the WS.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2010, 02:01:28 PM »
Interleague play made divisional baseball even less relevant.  Winning a banner in a garbage division is a dubious honor to say the least.  AL NL... even that distinction is antiquated.  Even in the other major sports, winning divisional titles is more akin to every little Timmy and Johhny feels good by getting equal playing time.  1 league and winner takes all.  No need for the WS.

This Brewer fan would take a division title.  I don't care if they get relegated to the Special Olympics division to get one.  1982 was a long time ago.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2010, 02:47:11 PM »
It's a common misconception among Brewer fans that Brewers-Cubs is a marquee rivalry in MLB. The truth is, the Cubs don't really consider the Brewers a fierce rival and Cub fans don't have an obsession with the Brewers like many Brewer fans have with the Cubs.

It's true.  Here in Chicago, the Brewers are thought of as just another team like the Reds.  The only team fans consider a rival in the division is the Cards.

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2010, 02:52:53 PM »
It's true.  Here in Chicago, the Brewers are thought of as just another team like the Reds.  The only team fans consider a rival in the division is the Cards.

As a Cubs fan in Milwaukee I consider it a quasi-rivalry (over the last couple years when both teams were relevant at least) because when the Cubs lose to the Brewers I get so much $h!t.  Therefore the games have added importance to me to avoid the $h!tstorm.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2010, 03:24:13 PM »
I agree with you copious.  When I was at Marquette is was fantastic beating the Brewers with half my friends being Brewer fans.

Now that I am back home in Illinois though, it's just another game.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2010, 03:34:56 PM »

I disagree.  There's a certain buzz around Wrigley when the Brewers are in town that certainly doesn't rise to the level of a White Sox or Cards game, but it is far and away different from when any other team is at Wrigley.

No, the Brewers aren't a rival, but aside from the White Sox and Cards, those games are more meaningful to Cubs fans than any other game on the schedule.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2010, 03:48:30 PM »
I disagree.  There's a certain buzz around Wrigley when the Brewers are in town that certainly doesn't rise to the level of a White Sox or Cards game, but it is far and away different from when any other team is at Wrigley.

No, the Brewers aren't a rival, but aside from the White Sox and Cards, those games are more meaningful to Cubs fans than any other game on the schedule.

Could it be because of the large number of Brewers fans in the stands?  There was definitely a buzz in the bleachers when I was at a Brewers-Cubs game last summer due to the constant back and forth.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2010, 06:52:58 PM »

ri·val
–noun
1. a person who is competing for the same object or goal as another, or who tries to equal or outdo another; competitor.
2. a person or thing that is in a position to dispute another's preeminence or superiority: a stadium without a rival.
3. Obsolete. a companion in duty.

As a Cards fan, I fiercely hate the Cubs because they think they are actually a rival of the Cards, when in reality, they have historically been the 2nd worst team in the division.  There is a huge difference between a rivalry and hatred and oftentime these two are mistaken for each other.  To have a rivalry, the two teams must be on the same level and competing for something.  The Cubs very rarely fit this mold in comparison to the Cards.

Cubs fans like to look down on the Brewers as some inferior franchise, but then turn around and think they are on the same level as the Cards, when in reality, the Cubs are a lot closer to the Brewers than the Cards in terms of history, and are actually looking up at every other team in the division.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2010, 08:10:33 PM »
Damn Cubs fans. 

BOOM!  Roasted.

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2010, 01:24:16 PM »
Two 15-team Leagues isn't going to happen if only for the reason that it requires that at least one team be off every single day, unless MLB comes up with a way for 3 teams to play in the same game.

In the alternative, it would mean interleague play every day for at least one game, which kind of cheapens the idea of interleague play.
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews