[Today at 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: KFC Yum! Center  (Read 7918 times)

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

State Street Warrior

• Starter
Re: KFC Yum! Center
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 12:02:29 PM »
That is one of the worst names ever. I liked the first comment though.

"Was the "Sypher Center" taken?"

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 12:07:01 PM »
Calling that place the deep fryer would be hilarious though

Most recent yahoo comment:
Pitino's abortion field house.

heh

wyoMUfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 12:25:36 PM »
extra crispy. lol

Louisville is so gay

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 02:44:04 PM »
I bet the "spread" there is finger lickin good.   ;D

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 04:33:50 PM »
Is the spread you are talking about for the arena or cypher.

Maybe the name should be the KFC Table Spread Arena/Depository.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 04:43:35 PM »
A lot of money coming in to the school and city for that.  I'm sure they'll come up with a clever nickname for it. 

MU is seeing $0 dollars for any naming rights, even if the Bradley Center was named with a corporate sponsor they still wouldn't see any money.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 04:46:47 PM »

So good that Rick, and one of his paisans might go for a Double Down.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 04:50:02 PM »
'Yum!', really? I've never thought "OH! KFC! Yum!" I have thought "OH! KFC! Delicious!" and then later felt "Ughhhhh...KFC...everytime"

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 06:53:43 PM »

Do you normally ask for white or dark meat?

"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 09:43:22 PM »

Do you normally ask for white or dark meat?

legs, breasts, thighs, doesn't really matter.  just want to make sure all the feathers are plucked before eating.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 11:07:05 AM »
Yet again corporate America swoops in to put their big ugly stamp on an arena. These bastards (Yum!) have been shrugging off human rights violations for years, think about that the next time you eat Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, KFC, Long John Silver's. I think I'd rather have a corporate sponsorless stadium than a criminally backed one.
But ya on a lighter note, terrible name.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 11:22:14 AM »
These bastards (Yum!) have been shrugging off human rights violations for years, think about that the next time you eat Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, KFC, Long John Silver's.

That's what makes it extra-delicious. 

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 12:03:47 PM »
Yet again corporate America swoops in to put their big ugly stamp on an arena. These bastards (Yum!) have been shrugging off human rights violations for years, think about that the next time you eat Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, KFC, Long John Silver's. I think I'd rather have a corporate sponsorless stadium than a criminally backed one.
But ya on a lighter note, terrible name.

You mean when I eat a fried chicken, that used to be alive?  And the big corporation killed it so that I would be able to eat it?  Oh, the horror!
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 12:06:17 PM »
You mean when I eat a fried chicken, that used to be alive?  And the big corporation killed it so that I would be able to eat it?  Oh, the horror!

When he says human rights violations, I don't think he is referring to chickens.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2010, 12:10:53 PM »

When he says human rights violations, I don't think he is referring to chickens.

simply eating KFC could be considered a human rights violation.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2010, 12:14:21 PM »

Yeah...spose I should read a bit more closely before making cracks.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2010, 12:30:06 PM »

hahaha, yes thank you. last time i checked chickens aren't humans. i'm referring to the treatment of the migrant workers, particularly Florida food providers, i.e. tomatoes. Yum! refused to take responsibility for their suppliers, who were, in some cases, essentially enslaving their workers. Taco Bell continued to buy products from these suppliers despite being fully aware of what was going on; Yum! did nothing either. It was so bad that a new labor policy was drafted that explicitly prohibited indentured servitude. Kind of ridiculous to have to directly state that huh? I don't want this to turn into a political discussion, but I think anyone can see the problem in what was going on.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2010, 12:43:25 PM »

Chickens have rights too! PETA says so! There is nothing worse than killing, eating and enjoying 10-12 million chickens every year!

MUHoosier is 1 or maybe 2 posts away from saying that UW did the 'right thing' by Cutting Nike Off Over Labor Concerns and supporting "Fair Trade" Jerseys. Thankfully MU has Converse Wade Brand

http://www.newser.com/story/85695/wisconsin-first-to-cut-nike-off-over-labor-concerns.html

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2010, 12:48:18 PM »
How didn't they do the right thing.

educate me, please.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2010, 01:05:38 PM »
hahaha, yes thank you. last time i checked chickens aren't humans. i'm referring to the treatment of the migrant workers, particularly Florida food providers, i.e. tomatoes. Yum! refused to take responsibility for their suppliers, who were, in some cases, essentially enslaving their workers. Taco Bell continued to buy products from these suppliers despite being fully aware of what was going on; Yum! did nothing either. It was so bad that a new labor policy was drafted that explicitly prohibited indentured servitude. Kind of ridiculous to have to directly state that huh? I don't want this to turn into a political discussion, but I think anyone can see the problem in what was going on.

Wait... so farmers in Florida were "essentially" practicing indentured servitude?  Then it got so bad that Florida had to enact a law against what was "essentially" indentured servitude but wasn't because that would be illegal (in reality)?

So a supplier to Yum! brands was acting within the bounds of the law in Florida and it's somehow Yum's fault that the supplier was doing something "almost illegal?"  Sounds like the Florida legislature took care of whatever the apparent issue was, so what's the big deal? 

Yum! was getting products legally from a company that was acting legally.  It's not Yum's job to police or legislate business practices that they don't agree with from their suppliers.  Yum's responsibility it to their shareholders.  I'm sure they have enough on their plate running their own business without trying to run someone else's business too.  This sounds like a big non-issue to me.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2010, 02:06:19 PM »
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 10:31:30 AM by JWags85 »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2010, 04:14:49 PM »
I like Kentucky Grilled Chicken.  If that makes me less of a human being, then so be it.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2010, 04:41:58 PM »
Wait... so farmers in Florida were "essentially" practicing indentured servitude?  Then it got so bad that Florida had to enact a law against what was "essentially" indentured servitude but wasn't because that would be illegal (in reality)?

So a supplier to Yum! brands was acting within the bounds of the law in Florida and it's somehow Yum's fault that the supplier was doing something "almost illegal?"  Sounds like the Florida legislature took care of whatever the apparent issue was, so what's the big deal? 

Yum! was getting products legally from a company that was acting legally.  It's not Yum's job to police or legislate business practices that they don't agree with from their suppliers.  Yum's responsibility it to their shareholders.  I'm sure they have enough on their plate running their own business without trying to run someone else's business too.  This sounds like a big non-issue to me.

I'll agree that it's not their responsibility to police business practices. That's not what I'm saying though, they knew what was going on, and only budged when massive boycotts were affecting business. Although that may not be criminal, you suggest that you have no problem with that. There is a difference between the letter and the spirit of the law after all.

I used the word "essentially" for brevity sake, and also b/c I don't have a working definition of 21st century slavery in the United States; fortunately its not something I encounter on a daily basis. I'm not sure where you get off being such a smart ass about the whole thing, I guess that's how some people are.

I also don't know how you got anything from my post about the Florida legislature. The truth is, these suppliers were not acting within the bounds of the law, thus they were convicted in federal criminal court for slavery, kidnapping, and other charges. My problem with Yum! is that they knew what was going on, and only changed their stance once convictions were handed out to smaller guys down the food chain and realized that this was terrible for business, they could be next, and would have a lot more to lose than those already convicted.

If you don't take issue with a corporation condoning this kind of activity (even if it was in the past) then you have no soul. The attitude that Yum! adopted concerning this matter was disgusting, and I won't support them or any attempt they make to promote themselves.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2010, 04:51:05 PM »
The attitude that Yum! adopted concerning this matter was disgusting, and I won't support them or any attempt they make to promote themselves.

So now we have yet another reason to root against Loserville.  As if we needed any...

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2010, 05:12:57 PM »
How didn't they do the right thing.

educate me, please.

I just thought it was just another dumbass leftist shortsighted thing to do. bla bla bla  companies are exploiting poor people, by setting up factories in developing countries and paying workers a fraction of American workers' wages bla bla bs. Most Madison students are clueless spoiled idealists

Nike gives people in developing countries JOBS, no one is forcing them to take those jobs, but it's worse to not work there. There's nothing wrong with sweat. Those companies allow people in those countries to work their way out of poverty. Gotta give those developing countries a chance by giving them more business.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2010, 05:18:55 PM »
muhoosier, I understand where you are coming from, but you do realize that pretty much every tomato sold in the US during the winter months comes from similar suppliers right?  Furthermore, YUM signed off on its agreement with CIW more than five years ago.  How long are you going to protest???

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2010, 06:27:21 PM »
I just thought it was just another dumbass leftist shortsighted thing to do. bla bla bla  companies are exploiting poor people, by setting up factories in developing countries and paying workers a fraction of American workers' wages bla bla bs. Most Madison students are clueless spoiled idealists

Nike gives people in developing countries JOBS, no one is forcing them to take those jobs, but it's worse to not work there. There's nothing wrong with sweat. Those companies allow people in those countries to work their way out of poverty. Gotta give those developing countries a chance by giving them more business.

That's my contention as well.  When people are comparing what a person makes in the USA to assemble a shoe vs Malaysia it is the wrong argument.   The cost of living in those countries is very very low and the wages correspond to what that market bears.  Just as a marketing person in Los Angeles makes more than one in Dubuque, Iowa because that's what the market bears, even if it's the same job.

Now, by no means am I saying some of the conditions they have in these countries is acceptable, or the hours, etc.  That has to be cleaned up, but the wages comparison to American workers is an absurd comparison on so many economic levels.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2010, 06:53:33 PM »
That's my contention as well.  When people are comparing what a person makes in the USA to assemble a shoe vs Malaysia it is the wrong argument.   The cost of living in those countries is very very low and the wages correspond to what that market bears.  Just as a marketing person in Los Angeles makes more than one in Dubuque, Iowa because that's what the market bears, even if it's the same job.

Now, by no means am I saying some of the conditions they have in these countries is acceptable, or the hours, etc.  That has to be cleaned up, but the wages comparison to American workers is an absurd comparison on so many economic levels.

But this was in Florida.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2010, 07:28:17 PM »

But this was in Florida.

I understand that, but that claim (wages are "slave wages") is made constantly about industries that are overseas as well and I've never understood the comparison having any legitimacy at all.  I know it's a tangent from the discussion, but it was mentioned by another poster so I was drafting off of it.

Two weeks ago I was in Hawaii and spoke to some locals about the pineapple and sugar cane industries.  The locals were saying that the industries have taken a huge hit and moved down to Chile and other parts of the world because the labor costs were just too high in the states.  I have no doubts that the Pineapple picker in Chile will make a lot less than the one in Hawaii but the other side of the equation seems to be lost in those comparisons.  The cost to live in Hawaii and the wages expected to be provided to cover those costs are so completely different than Chile.  The locals were upset and complaining but when I asked them if they were the owner of the company, what would they do.....they all said....move to Chile.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2010, 08:55:08 PM »
Popeyes is vastly better.

Wife says she knew about this weeks ago.. she used to work for Yum! foods (headquarters) and had many coworkers in Louisville she still talks with occasionally.  Many of them are sad because they hoped it would be built closer to Lexington and be painted blue.  That rivalry certainly does run deep!
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

WildBill77RT

• Scholarship Player
  • I know where the Superbar is
Nickname for new Louisville Arena
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2010, 10:33:10 PM »
As many of you have heard, the naming rights for the Louisville Cardinals basketball teams' new arena have been sold to Yum! brands who own KFC, Pizza Hut, and Taco Bell, The stadium will now be named the KFC Yum! Center.

Personally, I think it sounds ridiculous, especially after leaving a facility with a great stadium name (Freedom Hall).  I mean the stadium name has punctuation in it, and to boot, it's an exclamation point, and to boot once more, it's in the middle of the freaking name. </ rant>

Anyways, any good nicknames for their new center that can emphasize the sheer ridiculousness of their new arena?

My submission: The Kentucky Taco Hut
\\\oo///

DawsonCreekFillanderer

• Scholarship Player
Re: Nickname for new Louisville Arena
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2010, 10:41:29 PM »
The Colonel

DawsonCreekFillanderer

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2010, 10:45:00 PM »
or...Slick Rick's Chicken Shack: It's Finger Lickin' Good!

WildBill77RT

• Scholarship Player
  • I know where the Superbar is
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2010, 10:48:21 PM »
or...Slick Rick's Chicken Shack: It's Finger Lickin' Good!

That's what Karen Sypher said!
\\\oo///

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2010, 11:00:29 PM »
I saw a blogger on ESPN.com who called it "the Bucket"

Sawsi

• Starter
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2010, 11:29:28 PM »
I liked the "deep fryer" which I saw in an article posted in another thread.

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2010, 11:52:25 PM »
This one's too easy:  The KFC Bucket.
The General has taken on a new command.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2010, 06:18:12 AM »
The Karen Cypher Chicken Coop with All ServiceTtable
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2010, 06:38:15 AM »
I think they should call it the Olive Garden. 

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2010, 02:52:37 PM »
So is that why they can no longer call it "freedom" hall
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full