[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Transfers, Carousels, Decommits...  (Read 3242 times)

Benny B

• All American
Transfers, Carousels, Decommits...
« on: April 09, 2010, 09:10:27 AM »
Am I way off base here, but doesn't it seem like the coaching carousel has grown into quite the event over the past 5-10 years?  Every major news outlet has some sort of "tracker" or continuous update on all of the coaching changes occurring daily.  I'm still relatively young, but it doesn't seem like ESPN cut away from their regular programming (along with the requisite 6 hours of follow-up analysis) every time a coach was fired or changed jobs back in the 80s & 90s.

Further, coaching changes inevitably lead to de-commits and transfers, but it also seems like every player today who is unhappy for whatever reason is transferring or de-committing, regardless of who the coach is.  We have freshmen transferring for stupid reasons like "the offense isn't running through him" and the general public sentiment ranges from indifferent to apologetic.

Does anybody else agree that not only are there too many coaching changes these days, but they're all being over-hyped?  Also, how long before a kid transfers schools because the locker room benches are an inch too short (and will the public still be sympathetic)?

There are already enough clowns in the NFL, NBA & MLB.  I've always taken respite in college sports because it used to be about the game and the team, not the player and the hype.  Not so much anymore... I'm not looking forward to the day that the NCAA directs the BC to schedule MU and the Shrine Circus in the same time slot.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

CTWarrior

• All American
Re: Transfers, Carousels, Decommits...
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 09:56:08 AM »
In the words of the criminally underrated Cyndi Lauper (really, back in the 80s, if I had to bet on which of the two relatively unattractive pop acts Cyndi Lauper and Madonna would have a longer career, I would've bet on the one who could actually sing), "Money changes everything."

Kids get four seasons to showcase themselves for chasing the professional dollars, so they move to where they think they'll be best shown.  The recognition a school gets for successful football and basketball teams permeates the school in terms of increased admissions applications and donations, not to mention direct money from ticket sales, TV, merchandise, etc.

Stinks for fans, but you really can't blame anybody for doing what they think is best for themselves or their institution, even if the path they choose is sometimes misguided.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 10:51:30 AM »
wait, you think Cyndi Lauper can sing?

really?

and you didn't think Madonna was hot in the 80's?

really?

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 06:54:15 AM »
We have freshmen transferring for stupid reasons like "the offense isn't running through him" and the general public sentiment ranges from indifferent to apologetic.

I have a different memory of this than you.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

romey

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 07:28:50 AM »
It has trickled down to the high school level as well.  parents move to different school districts so their kid can play at a winning program all the time. I know of parents that either quit their job, commute two hours or have their son move in with someone else in the school district in "hopes" they can parlay it into a scholarship.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 10:42:32 AM »
wait, you think Cyndi Lauper can sing?

really?

and you didn't think Madonna was hot in the 80's?

really?

hahah, couldn't have said it better myself.  Though I do love the Cyndi Lauper part in "Goonies", those crazy kids.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 09:15:09 AM »
I have a different memory of this than you.

I wasn't speaking about just this one incident.  I was using it to make a point that the reasons the kids (and their handlers) are giving for transferring are getting less legitimate every day.

Nevertheless, maybe the actual reason in this particular case was something else; I'm simply using the rationale that Timmy M decided to take public.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

feedback