Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette Hate?  (Read 15581 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Marquette Hate?
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2010, 01:18:58 PM »
wow you seem to have all kinds of stats yet you avoid the fact that 2/3 of my original post dealt with nothing politically.

Additonally, you do appear to use fact on occasion, since that is the case why dont you let us know how many other states have voted democratic the last 6 elections.  You are funny becuase despite your capital letters screaming does not change the facts.  MAybe you are insulated but Wisconsin is liberal left by every definistion out there.  state congress who cares baout that?  The Wisonsin cogressional sentate and Reps are almost always almost entirely democratic and then Wisconsin votes 6 for 6 and you wnat to argue.  Wow clownish!!  Heck the only repub. they ever voted for was Reagan!

I avoid the 2/3 of the original post because it isn't important to the discussion, and a good portion of it, I agree with.

State elections give a much better impression of state values rather than federal elections.  Anyone in politics will tell you that.

Yes, WI has voted Dem for POTUS the last 6 elections, but did you actually look at the percentages of how much the state was won by?  My guess is no, you didn't.  1988 Bush won by 3.6%.  1992 Clinton won by 4.4%. 1996 Clinton won by more than 10%, but it was against Bob Dole.  2000 Gore won by 0.22%, 2004 Kerry won by 0.38%. 2008 Obama won by more than 10%, but it was against John McCain.  4 of those 6 elections are considered close.

As for Federal Congressional members, I will give you the senate has been Dems for a while... Kohl is far from being a true liberal though, and as SOSW said, Feingold is a liberal, but also very libertarian.

The HOR has 8 members from WI, and 5 of the 8 are currently Dems.  If you look back to 2001 there were 4 of each Dem and Rep.

How can you keep defending this?  There are no facts in your favor... just your terrible spin, which is utterly unconvincing.

Wisconsin is not a VERY LEFT LEANING LIBERAL STATE.

Did you really change names just so people don't have you on ignore anymore?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 01:27:51 PM by Hards_Alumni »

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2010, 02:19:46 PM »
I have not lived in the state of Wisconsin for 23 years.  However, I have lived in Madison and went to UW-Madison.  I was raised in Southeast Wisconsin.  My opinion may be very out dated but I always felt Madison had a superior attitude when comparing itself to the rest of the state.  I always felt Madison took care of themselves much better than the rest of the state.  UW-Madison had a left reputation especially in regards to the bombing during the Vietnam war that killed a researcher.  I always felt UW-Madison took pride in their left reputation and being the Berkley of the midwest.  In the early 80s when I was at Madison they had Chinese "visiting scholars".  I remember studying in the engineering library and everyday watchng this one visiting scholar copying US Patents.  Now fast forward 27 years and look what we got.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2010, 02:43:46 PM »
I have not lived in the state of Wisconsin for 23 years.  However, I have lived in Madison and went to UW-Madison.  I was raised in Southeast Wisconsin.  My opinion may be very out dated but I always felt Madison had a superior attitude when comparing itself to the rest of the state.  I always felt Madison took care of themselves much better than the rest of the state.  UW-Madison had a left reputation especially in regards to the bombing during the Vietnam war that killed a researcher.  I always felt UW-Madison took pride in their left reputation and being the Berkley of the midwest.  In the early 80s when I was at Madison they had Chinese "visiting scholars".  I remember studying in the engineering library and everyday watchng this one visiting scholar copying US Patents.  Now fast forward 27 years and look what we got.

Anyway, I grew up there and have family there.  I don't live there any longer.  My observation is that Madison has pretty much mellowed from the 70s and 80s.  Yeah, it is still liberal, but the hippies are aging and there is a pretty good entrepreneurial spirit in town.  It may actually be more Stanford than Berkeley now!  It's also not as "inbred" as it used to be.  (And believe me...I know how inbred it was as far as attitudes, etc.)

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2010, 02:50:27 PM »

Anyway, I grew up there and have family there.  I don't live there any longer.  My observation is that Madison has pretty much mellowed from the 70s and 80s.  Yeah, it is still liberal, but the hippies are aging and there is a pretty good entrepreneurial spirit in town.  It may actually be more Stanford than Berkeley now!  It's also not as "inbred" as it used to be.  (And believe me...I know how inbred it was as far as attitudes, etc.)

Maybe.  I currently live in the area and the hippies are old... but now they are sitting on the city board, etc. :)

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2010, 03:30:27 PM »

It's the opposite.  MU is free (at least through the common application), whereas you have to pay to apply at UW-Madison.

Hmm. I applied a few years ago and I though MU had a 40 dollar fee, but could be waived if you got something from an alum and you didn't have to pay for UW. Although I do know that I applied to just UW and not any of the other Wisconsin system schools (at least I think, now I'm having doubts about what I did haha).

MU gimp ONE

• Team Captain
« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2010, 04:22:21 PM »
Now i haven't read all the replies, so this may have already been mentioned. 

Not saying this thread is for sure... but have you ever wondered about some of these random "poll the audience" type threads?  they get started by someone with 1-3 posts and basically set it up for us to either brag about ourselves to no end, or tear down someone else.  I get suspicious that it's not a troll that just wants to post a link on their own board to say... look at these MU *ssholes and how mighty they think they are. 

"You know, most people would kill... to be treated like a god, just for a few moments." - Coach Norman Dale

MUFan11

• Walk-On
« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2010, 04:59:56 PM »
MU gimp that was not my intention at all. I was just saying what's happening at my high school. I didn't intend for it to blow up like this.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2010, 05:14:46 PM »
MUFan, nothing wrong with your original question.  Some people just can't leave politics out of things.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2010, 05:46:56 PM »
I have lived around USA, and in most states, the big state school always has the broad fan base, and the private programs, regardless of comparative success, are narrower fan based--also, often termed more elitist. In NC the vast majority of public, even in Durham is pro UNC and anti Duke. With few exceptions toward the privates (Miami/ USC/Notre Dame football, come to mind---yes USC is private) the larger public goes with the "big" public state  school. The UW vs MU debate is normal, to most places, not unique.
The original threader, a high schooler , should take solace in his MU uniqueness, selectivity, independence and good taste, and special pride in "Bucking" the crowd of lemmings, esp at such a young age--congrats.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2010, 05:57:50 PM »
Hmm. I applied a few years ago and I though MU had a 40 dollar fee, but could be waived if you got something from an alum and you didn't have to pay for UW. Although I do know that I applied to just UW and not any of the other Wisconsin system schools (at least I think, now I'm having doubts about what I did haha).

My son applied to MU last year, using the Common Ap, and he didn't pay.  I know for a fact that you have to pay $25 or so to apply at UW even if you do it online.  (You can apply to all UW schools for the same $25.)

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2010, 06:18:09 PM »

My son applied to MU last year, using the Common Ap, and he didn't pay.  I know for a fact that you have to pay $25 or so to apply at UW even if you do it online.  (You can apply to all UW schools for the same $25.)

I applied in 2007 and the App fee was waived for being one of the first 500 or so to apply. Not sure exactly what they do now but I doubt everyone can apply for free. There were over 19,000 applicants this year. That's a decent haul even at $25 a pop. (Even better if you're Harvard whose App 3 years ago was $90)

EDIT-After doing the research:
Marquette- 65.2% acceptance rate for fall of 2008 (for 15,193 applicants)
Wisconsin- 52.7% acceptance rate for fall of 2008 (for 25,478 applicants)
http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/milwaukee-wi/marquette-university-3863

MAR App fee- $30
WIS App fee-$44

Those are the most recent numbers
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 06:39:04 PM by pux90mex »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2010, 07:45:23 AM »
I applied in 2007 and the App fee was waived for being one of the first 500 or so to apply. Not sure exactly what they do now but I doubt everyone can apply for free. There were over 19,000 applicants this year. That's a decent haul even at $25 a pop. (Even better if you're Harvard whose App 3 years ago was $90)

EDIT-After doing the research:
Marquette- 65.2% acceptance rate for fall of 2008 (for 15,193 applicants)
Wisconsin- 52.7% acceptance rate for fall of 2008 (for 25,478 applicants)
http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/milwaukee-wi/marquette-university-3863

MAR App fee- $30
WIS App fee-$44

Those are the most recent numbers

False.  Marquette has no application fee.

http://www.marquette.edu/student/ugrad/applytoday.shtml

"There is no application fee."

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2010, 08:58:32 AM »
When I applied (fall of 2002 for entry in fall of 2003) I had my fee waved by having an MU Alum sign something. Maybe the application itself.

Maybe they've removed the fee since then.

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2010, 09:09:10 AM »
I avoid the 2/3 of the original post because it isn't important to the discussion, and a good portion of it, I agree with.

State elections give a much better impression of state values rather than federal elections.  Anyone in politics will tell you that.

Yes, WI has voted Dem for POTUS the last 6 elections, but did you actually look at the percentages of how much the state was won by?  My guess is no, you didn't.  1988 Bush won by 3.6%.  1992 Clinton won by 4.4%. 1996 Clinton won by more than 10%, but it was against Bob Dole.  2000 Gore won by 0.22%, 2004 Kerry won by 0.38%. 2008 Obama won by more than 10%, but it was against John McCain.  4 of those 6 elections are considered close.

As for Federal Congressional members, I will give you the senate has been Dems for a while... Kohl is far from being a true liberal though, and as SOSW said, Feingold is a liberal, but also very libertarian.

The HOR has 8 members from WI, and 5 of the 8 are currently Dems.  If you look back to 2001 there were 4 of each Dem and Rep.

How can you keep defending this?  There are no facts in your favor... just your terrible spin, which is utterly unconvincing.

Wisconsin is not a VERY LEFT LEANING LIBERAL STATE.

Did you really change names just so people don't have you on ignore anymore?

the funny thing is your numbers simply back up my stance...but you state there are no facts in my favor...in fact they are all in my favor.  Now you can argue closeness all you want but show me the other 6 states that have all gone Dem in the POTUS election and they like wisky are left leaning leiberal...son a spade is aspade

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #64 on: April 09, 2010, 10:37:17 AM »

False.  Marquette has no application fee.

http://www.marquette.edu/student/ugrad/applytoday.shtml

"There is no application fee."

Thanks for that. No wonder applications have skyrocketed. Good strategy.

MARQKC

• Starter
« Reply #65 on: April 09, 2010, 10:45:04 AM »
Or, maybe it's just that some people raise themselves up by putting others down.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #66 on: April 09, 2010, 11:00:31 AM »
the funny thing is your numbers simply back up my stance...but you state there are no facts in my favor...in fact they are all in my favor.  Now you can argue closeness all you want but show me the other 6 states that have all gone Dem in the POTUS election and they like wisky are left leaning leiberal...son a spade is aspade

Shall I start a poll, Hayward?  Who is the bigger kook?

Is that something you really want?

Remember, your exact quote was, "Wisconsin is very liberal left leaning stae" (I even left in your misspelling).  Backed up by my arguments and my statistics, you can see that Wisconsin is not a very liberal left leaning state.  It is, and has been, a battleground/swing state.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #67 on: April 09, 2010, 05:44:28 PM »
Thanks for that. No wonder applications have skyrocketed. Good strategy.

Well, they had to.  So many people apply via the Common Application, and if you charge while many others do not, my guess is your numbers will go way down.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #68 on: April 09, 2010, 06:24:39 PM »
Part of the rationale for getting rid of the application fee is the need to to ramp up raw application numbers, because the US News rankings take into account acceptance rates. Having no application fee reduces disincentives to apply.

pillardean

• Team Captain
« Reply #69 on: April 09, 2010, 08:05:21 PM »

Madison= liberal
Milwaukee= Dem (Unions)
 rest of the state pretty Republican.  Throw Out Dane and Milwaukee County and the State is extremely Red. 
Marquette University, Spring '08

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #70 on: April 09, 2010, 09:49:58 PM »
Madison= liberal
Milwaukee= Dem (Unions)
 rest of the state pretty Republican.  Throw Out Dane and Milwaukee County and the State is extremely Red. 

Not really.  The north is moderate to red and the western part of the state around Eau Claire and LaCrosse are moderate to blue.  (Both areas are represented by Democrats in Congress.) The only parts of the state that I would call "extremely red" are suburban Milwaukee and the Fox Valley.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #71 on: April 10, 2010, 09:06:56 AM »

Not really.  The north is moderate to red and the western part of the state around Eau Claire and LaCrosse are moderate to blue.  (Both areas are represented by Democrats in Congress.) The only parts of the state that I would call "extremely red" are suburban Milwaukee and the Fox Valley.

correctamundo.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #72 on: April 10, 2010, 09:13:44 AM »
In 2008, McCain only won 13 of Wisconsin's 72 counties.  8 of them were in the SE portion of the state.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #73 on: April 10, 2010, 09:15:50 AM »
This thread might be dumber than the "is it a guard's game?" threads.  And certainly less relevent to anything.