[Today at 09:42:15 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Its DJOver
[Today at 02:41:31 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by MU82
[Today at 08:19:01 AM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by Hards Alumni
[Today at 06:23:42 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: DePaul's New Coach Pulls A Crean Move On Clemson  (Read 9103 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: DePaul's New Coach Pulls A Crean Move On Clemson
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2010, 03:52:39 PM »
How soon we forget.  Tod Kowalczyk to Toledo.  He talked to his team before he left.  And rather than giving them some B.S. about having to explore all his options, he flat out told them that if he were offered the position, he would probably take it.

At the lower level moves, much more likely to happen.  At the higher majors, where deals are struck very quickly, you have a greater chance of the situation happening where kids \ team \ etc find out in a manner that no one wants.

Deal is struck, new school wants immediate news conference, etc, etc.  Doesn't always happen that way, we can all find examples where it was handled "well" and we can find examples where it wasn't (Crean to IU, Howland to UCLA, Purnell to DePaul, etc, etc, etc)

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2010, 03:53:48 PM »
How soon we forget.  Tod Kowalczyk to Toledo.  He talked to his team before he left.  And rather than giving them some B.S. about having to explore all his options, he flat out told them that if he were offered the position, he would probably take it.

I stand corrected.

I wonder if that will/can happen with the higher profile jobs, but nevertheless, your example is valid.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2010, 04:05:04 PM »
At the lower level moves, much more likely to happen.  At the higher majors, where deals are struck very quickly, you have a greater chance of the situation happening where kids \ team \ etc find out in a manner that no one wants.

Deal is struck, new school wants immediate news conference, etc, etc.  Doesn't always happen that way, we can all find examples where it was handled "well" and we can find examples where it wasn't (Crean to IU, Howland to UCLA, Purnell to DePaul, etc, etc, etc)

And somehow it never occurs to the hiring school to wonder if such a lack of integrity (too strong a word? okay consideration) being shown by their new coach to be is a good thing.  Maybe it does, and the school wants a barracuda, I don't know.

Interestingly enough, when I checked into Crean's firing of one of his assistant coachs before the Big Ten tournament, I found that Crean said little, but one of his big code phrases about what happened was that loyalty to the program had to be an assistant's first priority.  Scuttlebutt was that Roshown McLeod had put out feelers to other schools about assistant jobs for next year.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

DawsonCreekFillanderer

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2010, 05:33:25 PM »
Crean said little, but one of his big code phrases about what happened was that loyalty to the program had to be an assistant's first priority.

This is akin to a whore preaching chasteness. The subtitles at the bottom of the screen for Tanned Tommy's speech read, "I DEMAND each of you to pledge unyielding loyalty to me, The Tom Crean, now and forever more.."

A lot like the pledge SS men made tro Adolf Hitler and not the German state.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2010, 05:44:13 PM »
Comcast Sports Chicago/Tribune Live just had a tease before break that Chicago H.S. coaches are not happy at all with the hiring of Purnell......anybody have any insight?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 05:46:40 PM by SaintPaulWarrior »

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2010, 05:55:24 PM »
This is akin to a whore preaching chasteness. The subtitles at the bottom of the screen for Tanned Tommy's speech read, "I DEMAND each of you to pledge unyielding loyalty to me, The Tom Crean, now and forever more.."

Seriously dude? Crean is now compared to Hitler? REALLY? I mean, c'mon.

DawsonCreekFillanderer

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2010, 06:01:19 PM »
2002 must be an engineering major or biz adder as his logic is flawed. The comparison was to personal loyalty pleadges vice pledges to an institution. And trust me - Tommy Crean demands personal loyalty at all costs.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2010, 06:36:11 PM »
Whitney Young's coach....Simeon's coach....both said they wanted a coach with Illinois ties.  Purnell reached out to them and they are open to it.....also said that when Bias died Lefty called up Purnell (asst.) to clean out Bias's room of all the coke and Purnell refused and said let the facts be the facts.  Best De Paul could do.

Fullodds

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2010, 10:31:17 PM »
Purnell didn't lie about the circumstances leading up to his departure.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2010, 08:39:37 AM »

You injected Hitler into an internet arguement.

This instantly makes you wrong.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2010, 11:17:22 PM »
Oh. My. God.  Let it go.  It is over and done.  Let it go.  This is really getting ridiculous.

dpu70

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2010, 12:33:28 AM »
For your information, Oliver Purnell went back to Clemson on Wednesday to meet with his players.  Class move by a classy guy.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2010, 01:15:21 AM »
For your information, Oliver Purnell went back to Clemson on Wednesday to meet with his players.  Class move by a classy guy.

But is THIS classy?

"Phillips said Purnell left South Carolina without addressing his players, many learning via text message and on Twitter before interim coach Ron Bradley officially notified them at a 7:30 a.m. breakfast meeting."

or THIS?

"Clemson athletic director Dr. Terry Don Phillips said during a news conference he was shocked by Purnell's decision to leave. He said he learned of the move during a phone call from the coach at about 1:30 a.m. Tuesday."

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/news/story?id=5059657

I hope you were being sarcastic.
SS Marquette

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2010, 02:09:29 AM »
And somehow it never occurs to the hiring school to wonder if such a lack of integrity (too strong a word? okay consideration) being shown by their new coach to be is a good thing.  Maybe it does, and the school wants a barracuda, I don't know.

Interestingly enough, when I checked into Crean's firing of one of his assistant coachs before the Big Ten tournament, I found that Crean said little, but one of his big code phrases about what happened was that loyalty to the program had to be an assistant's first priority.  Scuttlebutt was that Roshown McLeod had put out feelers to other schools about assistant jobs for next year.

It goes much beyond that in terms of McLeod.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2010, 02:11:03 AM »
2002 must be an engineering major or biz adder as his logic is flawed. The comparison was to personal loyalty pleadges vice pledges to an institution. And trust me - Tommy Crean demands personal loyalty at all costs.

What makes me laugh is you guys are talking to this guy as if you don't know who he was as a "former" poster not long ago (in fact, not long at all ago).

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2010, 06:20:24 AM »

I think SI did a story on the Asst coach from Baylor that blew the whistle at Baylor.  At the time of the story, he was working 2 jobs to make ends meet.  He'd tried for the last few years to get back into coaching but hadn't been able to find an offer because for the fact that he had betrayed his Head Coach (who was covering up a MURDER).

Coaching is a twisted world, but it seems that loyalty is more regarded then integrity/honesty.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2010, 01:57:13 PM »
You must be a huge Kevin O'Neill fan then.
Chicos refr reminds me of a question for all here...
A couple coaches retired, most were fired, ..., but apart from Crean, O'Neill is the only other MU coach to leave for another job (Tennesee), ....
did he handle departure better?
was he (in your judgment), a better/worse person than Crean?
does anyone here also nurture long term ill will toward him?
did you burn your video copy of Hoop Dreams?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 01:59:55 PM by houwarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2010, 02:09:31 PM »
MU's misfortune was this was Kevin's first head coaching job. Was he crude? Definitely. Truth be told, he was one heck of a defensive coach and recruiter. Likely to have our best overall coach in the span between Al and Buzz.
As for Crean, is it possible to be lower than a snake's belly?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2010, 02:18:27 PM »
4ever
wasnt it Creans first head coaching gig too (Oniell was asst at AZ for Lute Olson; TC was asst for Izzo at Mich State)----
--so exactly how do you see them differently, or are they both down with snake bellies?
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2010, 02:40:12 PM »
By Kevin's own admission, he would have behaved differently had he been more seasoned or more mature. The same can be said for Majerus. It was MU's misfortune or miscalculation that both were our unseasoned head coaches.
Crean, on the other hand, given another 50 years of experience, will never change. He believes his way is the only way. He's hopeless.
I actually liked both O'Neil and Majerus, though at the time surprisingly, Majerus was ill-prepared to be a head coach on this level.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2010, 03:12:14 PM »
Chicos refr reminds me of a question for all here...
A couple coaches retired, most were fired, ..., but apart from Crean, O'Neill is the only other MU coach to leave for another job (Tennesee), ....
did he handle departure better?
was he (in your judgment), a better/worse person than Crean?
does anyone here also nurture long term ill will toward him?
did you burn your video copy of Hoop Dreams?

Yes. Better. Some, not many. No.

Kevin certainly had his demons. He was impatient and brusque. He was often crude. His problems with alcohol had consequences (anger and infideldity among them). He was also charasmatic and straightforward. In short, a big man with big flaws - think Othello.

TC was a small, petty sort who got his jollies demeaning those he considered his inferiors - secretaries, waitresses, basically anyone he couldn't use to improve his own lot in life. A phony with no real friends who only cultivated relationships with those who could further his career (Dick Strong, Tony La Russa, etc.). In short, a devious, scheming poser - think Iago.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2010, 03:16:00 PM »
Eloquent man, poetry in motion, simply solid.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2010, 04:15:14 PM »
Eloquent man, poetry in motion, simply solid.
Your man-love for TC is ever expanding.  Your heart is bursting.   ::)

wadefan#1

• Starter
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2010, 05:12:11 PM »
figures DePaul would sign a guy like that

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2010, 05:35:55 PM »
Yes. Better. Some, not many. No.

Kevin certainly had his demons. He was impatient and brusque. He was often crude. His problems with alcohol had consequences (anger and infideldity among them). He was also charasmatic and straightforward. In short, a big man with big flaws - think Othello.

TC was a small, petty sort who got his jollies demeaning those he considered his inferiors - secretaries, waitresses, basically anyone he couldn't use to improve his own lot in life. A phony with no real friends who only cultivated relationships with those who could further his career (Dick Strong, Tony La Russa, etc.). In short, a devious, scheming poser - think Iago.

wow (although any posting group may have variants, and differring takes among it ) your analysis/take is very very well done--- tyvm. the single post covers it all.

I have to ask ---can you assess him and ascribe a Shakespearean character to Buzz, ...maybe Petruchio from The Taming of the Shrew--lol.