[Today at 09:58:46 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Viper
[Today at 09:52:10 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU Fan in Connecticut
[Today at 09:25:35 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by MarquetteDano
[Today at 09:22:06 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Poll

Do you think skipping Portsmouth will hurt Lazar's draft chances?

Yes
24 (36.4%)
No
42 (63.6%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Voting closed: April 12, 2010, 07:10:22 AM

Author Topic: POLL: Lazar 's choice to skip Portsmouth  (Read 2358 times)

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
POLL: Lazar 's choice to skip Portsmouth
« on: April 09, 2010, 07:10:22 AM »
Discuss.
SS Marquette

MerrittsMustache

• All American
Re: POLL: Lazar 's choice to skip Portsmouth
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 07:30:12 AM »
Following George Costanza's lead, it's always best to go out on a high note.
Unless he went to Portsmouth and completely destroyed the competition, it likely wasn't going to raise his stock any higher than it is right now. My assumption is that his agent heard enough positive things to believe Zar will be drafted or he might be willing to take a chance on allowing Zar to go undrafted, giving him a better opportunity to find the best fit like Matthews (who played for 2 teams in the summer league) and other players have done in the past.

- Does anyone think that Matthews' success this season will be in the back of any scout/GM's minds given that he, too, was a 4-year tweener from MU? I'd like to think so, but it's probably not the case.

- IMO, Lazar entered the dunk contest (as opposed to the 3-point contest) because he wanted to have an opportunity to showcase his athleticism, which is something scouts had questioned.

That's it for me! You've been great!

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 08:20:56 AM »
I really see Lazar going mid to late 2nd round, which would be great for him.  He would be a perfect role player on a playoff/championship contender.  He can shoot the three, and he can guard inside, plus he is a solid rebounder, not a very common skill set.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 08:36:47 AM »
if you aren't a big name, you have to keep your name out there and give everyone a shot to see you play.

just my opinion.

I know he could only have 'hurt' his draft stock according to some people, but by not showing up isn't he sort of saying that he played his best and will never play that well again?

just sayin'.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 08:38:10 AM »
- IMO, Lazar entered the dunk contest (as opposed to the 3-point contest) because he wanted to have an opportunity to showcase his athleticism, which is something scouts had questioned.

Also wasnt Lazar the MVP of that college All-Star game?  I didn't watch the game so I don't know how hard they played.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 08:40:51 AM »
He's definitely strong enough to play SF in the NBA. He is a little short, but plays bigger than he is.

The question is: Is he quick enough to defend, and is he quick enough to be effective on offense. He's decent with the ball, and he's a good shooter, but he's not exceedingly quick in either of those areas.

What he has going for him is great hands (on offense and defense), good touch from 6' and in, decent jumpshot, deceptive athleticism and good rebounding ability.  

Also, the NBA is a pick and roll league, so his ability to defend it and/or pick and pop could make a difference.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 08:44:10 AM »
As we saw with Wes, one of Lazar's biggest assets is playing tough and smart.  He has the skills. 

96warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 12:21:26 PM »
I think he showed enough in Indy that it's not going to hurt him to skip Portsmouth. And there is risk of injury in Portsmouth, which would suck a lot more. (risk of injury anytime, of course, but doesn't seem worth it for another showcase. after such a grueling season, he could use the rest and afford to sit this one out)

feedback