[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by GoldenEagles03
[April 29, 2024, 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[April 29, 2024, 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 29, 2024, 11:00:09 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Brad Stevens To...  (Read 13796 times)

HoopsMalone

• All American
Re: Brad Stevens To...
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2010, 06:20:40 PM »
Do we really?

No, but there is nothing wrong with it when there is a thread about a good coach doing some good things at a school by him. 

Who cares if people come onto Marquette's message board and discuss a guy who took us to the Final Four and coached here nine years.  I find it relevant and entertaining personally.  I still find Bill Clinton jokes funny too even though he is not president, and I still find Crean jokes funny and Crean discussions relevant even though he is not our coach anymore.  Crean is forever tied to MU.

CrimsonNCrean

• Starter
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2010, 06:29:00 PM »
No, but there is nothing wrong with it when there is a thread about a good coach doing some good things at a school by him. 

Who cares if people come onto Marquette's message board and discuss a guy who took us to the Final Four and coached here nine years.  I find it relevant and entertaining personally.  I still find Bill Clinton jokes funny too even though he is not president, and I still find Crean jokes funny and Crean discussions relevant even though he is not our coach anymore.  Crean is forever tied to MU.

He certainly thinks he is.......   check out his latest twitters...   8-)
"I better walk before they make me run"

Coach Norman Dale

• Starter
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2010, 07:31:41 PM »
Butler has a solid system in place, and Brad Stevens both lives it and sells it with the mantra of "winning the Butler way".  As I have watched this team I have noticed that it is built in a way very similar to how Bob Knight built many of his most successful Indiana teams -- with a core of midwest (mostly Indiana) kids who make good decisions on and off the court and are willing to work hard at both ends of the court.  

And while he has kept a good thing going at Butler, it will be interesting to see what he does next.  If he leaves the next Butler coach will almost certainly be a promotion for a current Butler assistant as that is how they have done it for a long time, and it is how they perpetuate the system.

As for Lickliter, I did not follow the Iowa situation until recently, but from what I read he was getting his foundation in place.  Steve Alford left that program in a state of disrepair and decline -- in regard to players, fan support and reputation.  So to expect Lickliter (or anyone) to turn it around in 3 years was silly.  I believe that schools must give a coach the time to get his own players in place before a true evaluation can be made.  

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2010, 07:49:20 PM »
Lickliter was done in by a lot of his players transferring.  It's too bad for him, but hopefully he will find a way to redeem his career.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2010, 07:55:14 PM »
If Stevens can get some high-profile recruits to head to Butler, he'll stay.

If not, STRIKE WHILE THE IRON IS HOT, Brad!
SS Marquette

chapman

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2010, 08:40:50 PM »
Agree with others...why leave Butler to re-build a program like DePaul or SJU which might give you a nice salary but nothing else to work with, or try your luck across the country somewhere like Oregon?  He's due for a good pay raise and should wait for a job that isn't going to put him in a position to be going back to a Horizon school not named Butler four years later.  If you're 53 it's worth it to cash in, but at 33 he's got a lot more to shoot for.  Be patient and wait for Indiana, Notre Dame, Illinois, maybe even Louisville to open up in a couple years.

As far as Butler being better next year, who knows.  That's what everyone was saying a year ago about Villanova. 
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 08:45:48 PM by chapman »

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2010, 12:50:32 PM »

Dude, it's a sickness.  Let it go.  You'll find  another prom date.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2010, 09:12:10 PM »
You are right.  But hopefully Buzz is at a place where he sees what Crean got (over two million) and sees that it's enough.  I can see Butler's coach or Northern Iowa's coach (getting half million/year) wanting to change.  But hopefully Buzz is a guy who will see $2+ million and maybe closer to $3 million as enough.

Money counts, but money Marquette has.

And hopefully, Buzz will see what Crean got when he moved on, as well.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2010, 09:14:40 PM »
where? Bet you don't see him sign a 10 year extension at Butler. At 33 yrs. old, this America, is your next "hot" coach.
In the meantime, it would be very cool to see the Bulldogs win the whole shabang in their home city.

I agree about how cool it would be to see Butler win it all.

No chance though, Cinderellas make the final four, but they don't survive there.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2010, 09:20:07 PM »
Stevens will eventually be hired at Indiana.  Mark my words.  No knock against that other guy but there are forces at work that will make this happen within the next two years if not sooner.  This is an educated guess. 

I've got to agree with your conclusion.  I think your timing is a little quick though.  Stevens has to be thinking of this as well.  How many miles is he away from Bloomington, now?  If you're gonna move up, how perfect is it to do so without relocating from the recruiting area you know best and are best known in?

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2010, 09:23:39 PM »
Lickliter and Collier made bad choices and basically took the first BCS job offered.  stevens is now in a position to do better.  After this seasosns final Four run he will get interest, if those jobs are ones he can win big in he could/should take it.  the only one out there that would be good for him would be Oregon. 

Otherwise, he can sit back, next years team wil be really good too.  After next year possibly better positions might open up.  After this Final 4 he will be a very hot commodity for at least a few years, especially with the Butler core still intact.  He can bide his time for a great job.

Look what a final 4 and mediocre results over the next 5 years did for a coach we know.

And hey, don't forget those especially good 2011 and 2012 recruiting classes in Indiana.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2010, 10:53:18 PM »
Stevens will eventually be hired at Indiana.  Mark my words.  No knock against that other guy but there are forces at work that will make this happen within the next two years if not sooner.  This is an educated guess. 

If I had a nickel for every time it was virtually guaranteed over the years that Jim Crews would be the next coach, or Coach K, or Pat Knight or Thad Matta or Steve Alford, etc, etc.

On one hand you say it's an educated guess, but in another part you say forces are at work as if it's a done deal.  Doesn't sound like a guess at all based on what you're saying.   

Stephens may well be the guy, but it's pretty rare for a major program in the Big Ten to hire a guy with only 2 years head coaching experience.  It's been done, especially if they are an assistant within, but pretty rare.

Haven't you already had to eat your computer once?   ;) 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2010, 08:05:44 AM »
I agree about how cool it would be to see Butler win it all.

No chance though, Cinderellas make the final four, but they don't survive there.

Butler isn't a Cinderella.  They were pre-season top 15, haven't lost a game since December, and have the same seeding as Michigan State. 

George Mason was a Cinderella...Villanova in 1984 was a Cinderella...Butler isn't one.

mugrad99

• Team Captain
No reason to change the way he recruits
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2010, 08:19:45 AM »
Dan Dakich was on his radio shoe, and he named several coaches that made it to a final four, then changed their recruiting techniques to try to land the big boys, and failed.

Guess you all can name one  :)

Coach Stevens may eventually leave, but he has a great thing going at Butler. A major school in a mid major conference, entrenched with the High School basketball coaches in Central Indiana, (arguably one of the hotbeds for players in the nation, and where the High School Coaches seem to have more influence then the AAU coaches).

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2010, 09:24:55 AM »

Butler isn't a Cinderella.  They were pre-season top 15, haven't lost a game since December, and have the same seeding as Michigan State. 

George Mason was a Cinderella...Villanova in 1984 was a Cinderella...Butler isn't one.

A very good point.  Like Memphis (but not like Memphis in any other way), Butler really is a "high major" program in a "mid-major" conference.
Still, I don't see them getting past Michigan State, cool as that would be.

You can add the Penn 1979 team that lost to Magic Johnson's Michigan State team in the final four to the Cinderella list too.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: No reason to change the way he recruits
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2010, 09:46:41 AM »
Dan Dakich was on his radio shoe, and he named several coaches that made it to a final four, then changed their recruiting techniques to try to land the big boys, and failed.

Guess you all can name one  :)

I think Dakich is right.  Same thing happened in football with Barry Alvarez.  They went to the Rose Bowl in 1994 and went after all the big fish only to come up bridesmaids each time....and they suffered.  Eventually, he pulled back and went after the kids that made more sense which put them back into the plus column more often than not.

Of course the irony is that when TC or others sign "only" 3 star and 4 star players, then they have mentally challenged people like Hayward\Canadian Dimes and some of their fans screaming about recruiting classes.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2010, 07:04:05 PM »

Agreed. If Crean doesn't do VERY well in the next couple of years and Stevens is available and still successful, its beyond logical. It is fate.
We Are Marquette