[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Which early exit loss stings the most?

Washington (2010)
23 (12.9%)
Missouri (2009)
40 (22.5%)
Stanford (2008)
103 (57.9%)
Alabama (2006)
6 (3.4%)
Tulsa (2002)
6 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 177

Author Topic: Most devastating NCAA losses in recent history  (Read 9008 times)

Warrior of Law

• All American
Most devastating NCAA losses in recent history
« on: March 18, 2010, 09:50:07 PM »
This is getting difficult...
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

BaltimoreMC

• Starter
Re: Most devastating NCAA losses in recent history
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 09:52:16 PM »
I'm going Mizzu b/c it was the 3 amigos last chance to get to the sweet 16

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 09:54:28 PM »
Is there a tie option???

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 09:55:15 PM »
God, that list makes me sick.   I wonder if Pomeroy could rank a decade of NCAA games for "luck".  

I'm guessing MU would be at the bottom of the list, even with a FF run.

5 years, 2 wins to show for it.

marquetteff03

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 09:55:55 PM »
Stanford bc of the twin freak shows, what a dagger at the buzzer.

romey

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 09:56:13 PM »
Perhaps what's most disheartening is there have been four heartbreakers in the last five years.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 09:58:27 PM »
Stanford is the only one I still think about every once in a while.  Well at least every time I see that ugly mug moping on the Nets bench.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 09:59:28 PM »
my brother is a mizzou grad, so for me personally, it was last year's loss. but that falling down, behind the hoop, eyes closed, with his left hand garbage that lopez hit a few years ago was probably the most disheartening thing i've seen in a long time

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 09:59:48 PM »
The Michigan State loss in 2007 was a brutal display, too, but at least you knew they were going to lose 2 minutes into the game.  Kinda like the Kansas FF game in 2003.  

This is what we shoot for all season?  Painful, very, very painful.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 10:00:00 PM »
The first half of Michigan state was like a knife to the belly. Where do I vote for that one?

chapman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 10:02:25 PM »
Stanford.  Not even close for me.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 10:03:38 PM »
This one isn't so bad.  We weren't expected to be here at the beginning of the year.  We clearly exceeded expectations.  

Last year was the worst because we had Sweet 16 talent but didn't seal the deal.

mugoose

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 10:07:21 PM »
stanford.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 10:09:44 PM »
Tonight doesn't even register. I would have been thrilled with an NIT bid before the season started, and we just lost to what is clearly a pretty good team, that found its groove at the right time. The only disappointment with tonight was the inability to do what MU always seems to be able to do...defend and rebound. This one was far from devastating. Stanford on the other hand...

GregClausenForever

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2010, 10:12:21 PM »
It's Tulsa.  Easily.  What a let-down.  Awesome season, unacceptable loss.

MU111

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2010, 10:12:53 PM »
Yuck, this list makes me sad.  Stanford was definitely the worst, though.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2010, 10:34:28 PM »
i had to go mizzou. end of an era (and it was my senior year). the drama of dom coming back - ill never forget how we ran around our house like little girls at 1 am.  then we ran into mizzou, and the free throw debacle with the "injury" and all the rest. i remember when we lost that game, we all just sort of looked at each other like "what now?" ...horrible...

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2010, 10:39:52 PM »
Another vote for Stanford.  Still waiting for us to snatch one of these victories from the jaws of defeat in the tourney.  Actually, I would be happy if we could just have a game that we seemingly have in hand not turn into a nailbiter in the tourney.  Since the FF run we have underperformed pretty badly in the tournament.  Actually, since Al McGuire retired we've performed pretty badly in the tournament except for 1994 and 2003.  I don't know why it's a knife in my heart each time.  I should be used to it by now.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2010, 10:45:41 PM »
If we beat Stanford does Tom Crean stay?  I always thought that loss truely let Tom know he reached his ceiling at Marquette.

It's possible the Stanford loss was actually a good thing.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2010, 10:56:22 PM »
Stanford: because Lopez simply went down and stood in the same spot every possession and proceded to make the basket. I don't how many times in a row but watching us let him get to his spot and toss one in was exasperating and still galls me. No adjustment and I was furious at Crean for not adjusting.

This year it is inevitable that taller teams go inside on us where we are powerless to defend and rebound. Great effort from everyone . they gave all they had this year

mug644

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2010, 11:00:23 PM »
I gotta say Stanford, but I wonder what the largest leads we had in each of those games. Being up by 15 in the second half tonight (even though it never felt that big, nor very solid) and losing really hurts. Weren't we up by 10 or so against Stanford?

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2010, 11:34:09 PM »
Washington

Missouri

Stanford

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2010, 10:29:23 AM »
The difference is in 2010, we had on our "home" unis, ergo the higher seed.  Okay, who's ready for November 2010??

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2010, 10:40:42 AM »
Stanford was the worst. McNeal played out of his mind, they had a couple chances to win and couldn't do it.

That, and our coach at the time couldn't figure out how to stop them from walking up and making one pass into the post...

I'd rank em as such-

1) Stanford
2) Washington
3) Missouri
4) Alabama

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2010, 10:46:40 AM »
Missouri.

Because of the baseline violation. it hurts more when you dont give yourself a chance to win the game. Also because of the now named Marquette Rule.

Stanford was a tough one and so was Washington, but we just got beat by their shots. Albeit Lopez's circus shot was tough to swallow, at least we put ourselves in position (defense) to win the game. We just got beat... it has to happen, even to us.
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

State Street Warrior

• Starter
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2010, 10:53:10 AM »
Stanford and this one because we had it won it seemed.  Although thinking DJ would be back for Mizzu made me really confident, and ditto on running around the house going nuts.  (also a Sr that year)

I'm actually re-watching the Stanford and Mizzu endings along with Nova from last years BET just to remind myself that if I survived those I can survive this. 

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2010, 10:59:28 AM »
I'm actually re-watching the Stanford and Mizzu endings along with Nova from last years BET just to remind myself that if I survived those I can survive this. 

Wow, after you're done maybe you should go introduce yourself to Herb Pope.  He shakes hands kinda funny, but you shouldn't notice anything after watching those games  :-\

shiloh26

• Starter
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2010, 11:03:19 AM »
Missouri.  The final minutes was just a series of asking myself "did that really just happen?" in a bad way.  The 'injury' and the ringer free throw shooter, the baseline, the whole buildup of Dom making it back, and it being the 3's last game... it was just an emotional trainwreck. 

Tommy Brice for Coach

• Team Captain
  • Tommy Brice is my hero
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2010, 11:09:22 AM »
Although thinking DJ would be back for Mizzu made me really confident, and ditto on running around the house going nuts.  (also a Sr that year)

Funny story... some friends and I were at a house party the night before the game when we heard DJ was coming back to play Mizzou. We proceeded to run around the party and then up and down the block at 1 in the morning yelling that we were going to the final four. Of course, we lost the next day.  :(

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2010, 11:16:01 AM »
Tulsa was the most devastating.  We were a 5 against a 12.  The others were higher seeds (I think, Don't remember the Alabama seeding).

Although Washington was lower seed, they were exactly the type of team that hurts us.  The pace of play was againat us last night.

shiloh26

• Starter
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2010, 11:34:46 AM »
Tulsa was the most devastating.  We were a 5 against a 12.  The others were higher seeds (I think, Don't remember the Alabama seeding).

Although Washington was lower seed, they were exactly the type of team that hurts us.  The pace of play was againat us last night.

If I'm not mistaken we were a 7, Alabama was a 10. 

What made last night devastating had nothing to do with the numbers next to the names, it had everything to do with watching the most fun team I've have ever seen play its last game together, and knowing how close it was.  This team never ceased to amaze game after game, and it was just so hard to watch them out there for the last time losing like that.

State Street Warrior

• Starter
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2010, 11:38:16 AM »
Wow, after you're done maybe you should go introduce yourself to Herb Pope.  He shakes hands kinda funny, but you shouldn't notice anything after watching those games  :-\

You know I think I'd take a Pope shot to the boys for a post season win this year.  I'm doing great 0-3 in 12 months.  This game, Packers fumble TD in OT, and my Tigers get beat in extras of a 1 game playoff after being up 3 games with 4 to play.  It's been a bad year for my heart.

ohiomarqfan

• Walk-On
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2010, 12:12:10 PM »
Stanford. The 3 amigos best shot (Mcneal hurt the yr before and Dom the year after)...But the most devastated I've been in the past 10 yrs concerning Marq b-ball was hearing about Diener's injury. I'v never felt so bad for someone in a long time.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2010, 04:54:55 PM »
Stanford. The 3 amigos best shot (Mcneal hurt the yr before and Dom the year after)...But the most devastated I've been in the past 10 yrs concerning Marq b-ball was hearing about Diener's injury. I'v never felt so bad for someone in a long time.

Right. While I said Stanford was the most devastating NCAA loss in recent history, the worst ending to a season was Diener's injury. Not only did it keep him from surpassing GT as all-time leading scorer, we all knew it was the end to the season...moreso than McNeal and DJ's injuries more recently. The feeling of Travis being gone, both for him and the team, was most certainly devastating.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2010, 11:07:02 PM »
Missouri.  Terrible way to lose with Laz stepping over the line.  Had to feel for him.  I would have loved to see if DJ could have actually contributed had they played in the second weekend. 
While this years hurts I still think this whole NCAA trip was gravy.  Last year we were robbed of what could have been a "special" season when DJ went down.

flash

• Team Captain
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2010, 12:32:43 AM »
I think the Stanford loss hurts the most, followed by the Washington loss.  These losses were so devastating because we had both of them!!  Both losses were by last second shots by our opponent.  The reason the Missouri loss is not as bad because, even if Lazar inbounds the ball, we still have to go the length of the court and score in under 3 seconds, very unlikeley.  I still am cringing from that shot Brook Lopez made.  That was the absolutley devastating. 

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2010, 06:47:51 AM »
All of these are unacceptable.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Jam Chowder

• Team Captain
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2010, 09:33:19 AM »
This is the most soul-crushing thread ever. I thought I was over the UW loss, but this thread served to remind me that I'm not over any of them.

Marquette65

• Starter
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2010, 09:47:29 AM »
What about the Michigan State loss in Winston Salem?  Probably the most embarrassed  performance I've ever seen.  Couldn't score, couldn't defend, not even close to showing up.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2010, 09:49:57 AM »
If we beat Stanford does Tom Crean stay?  I always thought that loss truely let Tom know he reached his ceiling at Marquette.

It's possible the Stanford loss was actually a good thing.

I think the point in which Crean knew he couldnt do any more at MU was when he lost Shumpert to Georgia Tech. He put everything he had into that recruitment, including the D-Wade appearance at Madness.  I think that sealed the deal for TC...

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2010, 10:20:53 AM »
Crean was itching to leave here long before that. Too bad he didn't.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2010, 10:55:32 AM »
The Stanford game was just profiled as one of the best 2nd round moments of all time by CBS College Sports, not me.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2010, 04:20:45 PM »
For me, an oldtimer, the most devastating loss wasn't played on the court. It was when Jim Chones went Pro right before the tournament. I think we could have gone all the way that year. Don't blame him though, I think he got a 5 million dollar signing bonus. This was during the NBA/ABA signing war.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2010, 05:04:24 PM »
Oldtimer, the only argument with Chones leaving early is that he left in Feb. 1972 during the season the day after the Warriors beat Jacksonville at the Arena. Totally BF'ed MU. Also, the reported money was $1.5 mil. Nowhere near 5 big ones. I will agree we stood an excellent chance at the National Championship had he stayed.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2010, 05:11:32 PM »
Without a doubt, and not even comparable to other losses, MU's losing to theOSU in Athens, GA in 1971 when Meminger fouled out with about 5 min. (for the first time ever in a high school or college game) left on a charge was devastating. Also, in 1978 the year after the championship. the Warriors loss to Miami of Ohio on Whitehead's elbow swing was a close second.
I was at the loss to theOSU. Long trip home. MU was ranked #2 in the polls with an anticipated game vs.perennial #1 UCLA coming up.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Final Four or Bust

• Starter
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2010, 10:59:49 PM »
To me this was the most painful, in part because we did have a substantial lead with about ten minutes to go.  It was like watching a train wreck in slow motion, and when that ball bounced off DJOs hands out of bounce you just knew the outcome.  Losing on last second shots hurts, and getting blown out in some of the most embarrassing games is bad, but there is something about losing a decent lead as the game winds down that is just a dagger.

If we want to talk painful, the MU tournament games I've seen in person (in chron order):

1)  Kansas in New Orleans
2)  Michigan State in Winston-Salem
3)  Kentucky in Anaheim (a win!)
4)  Stanford in Anaheim
5)  Washington in San Jose

wildbill sb

• Team Captain
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2010, 11:29:01 PM »
Miami of Ohio was our crowning Bucky F'ing Dent moment. Defending National Champs with virtually everyone back. That loss was the beginning of the downward spiral and our journey in the darkness...

You got that right, bro. 
“I’m working as hard as I can to get my life and my cash to run out at the same time. If I can just die after lunch Tuesday, everything will be perfect.”  - Doug Sanders, professional golfer

GoldenWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2010, 04:25:07 PM »
It's really a toss up between Mizzou and Stanford for myself... a baseline violation still kills me that's how the amigos ended their careers with us and Stanford would've been a huge feat given the twin 7 footers and that ridiculous shot they hit... really a toss up for me.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2010, 05:47:17 PM »
Stanford, because I think that year we had the biggest chance to go far

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2010, 07:36:48 PM »
seems to be a runaway between Stanford and Missouri, which is like having to choose between two layers of hell. 

Stanford was the (only) year of the big 3 that everything finally seemed like it was falling into place. we were primed to make our run and then everything came crashing down to a sideshow bob lookalike that talked like a cross between a surfer and a gargoyle.  just seemed unfair (even for MU fans).

Missouri was the year we felt like the sun might really not come up the next day.  So much turnover, so much uncertainty, and most of all, I don't think I will ever really miss just having a group of guys to cheer for like I did those three.  I've been a huge fan of a lot of teams, but growing with those guys was an experience and a half.  When everything ended so anticlimactically and unceremoniously, for the first time in a while there wasn't next year to look forward to.

my vote went to Missouri just for the sheer crashing down sensation as that game ended.  it was a loss i could really physically feel.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2010, 10:10:39 PM »
Stanford, because I think that year we had the biggest chance to go far

Nope, Texas and would have taken Too Tan Tommy to school.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

shiloh26

• Starter
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2010, 10:37:22 PM »
seems to be a runaway between Stanford and Missouri, which is like having to choose between two layers of hell. 

Stanford was the (only) year of the big 3 that everything finally seemed like it was falling into place. we were primed to make our run and then everything came crashing down to a sideshow bob lookalike that talked like a cross between a surfer and a gargoyle.  just seemed unfair (even for MU fans).

Missouri was the year we felt like the sun might really not come up the next day.  So much turnover, so much uncertainty, and most of all, I don't think I will ever really miss just having a group of guys to cheer for like I did those three.  I've been a huge fan of a lot of teams, but growing with those guys was an experience and a half.  When everything ended so anticlimactically and unceremoniously, for the first time in a while there wasn't next year to look forward to.

my vote went to Missouri just for the sheer crashing down sensation as that game ended.  it was a loss i could really physically feel.

Personal +1.  The fact that I was a senior didn't help anything.  That was the day that my friends and I looked at each other and knew that this whole college thing was over.  It's like we could keep forgetting about it as long as basketball was still there.  Tear. 

feedback