Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Is MU in the NCAA Tournament if they lose to St. Johns?

Yes
118 (91.5%)
No
11 (8.5%)

Total Members Voted: 129

Author Topic: Is MU In?  (Read 6773 times)

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
Re: Is MU In?
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2010, 09:22:25 AM »
 Ok, so unfortunately my source for this is Wikipedia. The following is a list of teams that have been added to Division I basketball since 2000.

Alabama A&M
Albany (N.Y.)
Belmont
Binghamton
Elon
Gardner-Webb
High Point
Lipscomb
Longwood
North Dakota State
Northern Colorado
Oakland
Sacred Heart
South Dakota State
Stony Brook
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi
UC Davis
UC Riverside
Utah Valley

Without looking I think Oakland made the tourney 2 years ago or something. Yet Wright related college basketball to college football in that 50% of the teams in college basketball make it to a bowl game. Yea they do but alot of the games aren't watched, and involved 6-6 Notre Dame teams, how is that rewarding a team for a successful season. ITS ALL ABOUT MONEY!
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2010, 09:22:36 AM »
One of the reasons I've turned to adding more teams to the tournament isn't so much that there are more D1 teams as that there seem to be more conferences and thus automatic bids. 20 or so teams in the tournament every year are probably not in the best 65 teams in basketball, which is what I think the tournament should be. Some teams are dancing merely because they won their conference, not because they play consistently quality basketball.

Yea but you can't cheapen the regular season to the point that a lot games don't matter anymore.  If you want the best teams in the country to play in an end of year Championship tourny then get rid of automatic bids all together and take the best 64.  This is obviously all about money for the networks and universities and job security for the coaches hence the support but there is a fine line to walk so that the tourny doesn't become less of a spectacle.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2010, 09:30:31 AM »
Ok, so unfortunately my source for this is Wikipedia. The following is a list of teams that have been added to Division I basketball since 2000.

Alabama A&M
Albany (N.Y.)
Belmont
Binghamton
Elon
Gardner-Webb
High Point
Lipscomb
Longwood
North Dakota State
Northern Colorado
Oakland
Sacred Heart
South Dakota State
Stony Brook
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi
UC Davis
UC Riverside
Utah Valley

Without looking I think Oakland made the tourney 2 years ago or something. Yet Wright related college basketball to college football in that 50% of the teams in college basketball make it to a bowl game. Yea they do but alot of the games aren't watched, and involved 6-6 Notre Dame teams, how is that rewarding a team for a successful season. ITS ALL ABOUT MONEY!

ND St. made the tourney.

also, its depressing how many of those teams we have played.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2010, 09:37:08 AM »
One of the reasons I've turned to adding more teams to the tournament isn't so much that there are more D1 teams as that there seem to be more conferences and thus automatic bids. 20 or so teams in the tournament every year are probably not in the best 65 teams in basketball, which is what I think the tournament should be. Some teams are dancing merely because they won their conference, not because they play consistently quality basketball.

I do not believe that there are any more conferences with auto bids than there used to be.  The only new conference is the Great West, but they don't have an auto bid.

The reason we have a play in game is because of the breakup of the WAC and the Mountain West.  The compromise over who got the auto bid was solved with the addition of th play in game.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2010, 10:34:10 AM »
RawdogDX you are much too nice.  Anyone with the moniker "chitownwomanizer" is a meatball!

You mean he went to summer camp with Bill Murray?  No wonder he is hilarious.

and please call me Raw.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2010, 01:23:29 PM »
Ok, so unfortunately my source for this is Wikipedia.

HIJACK

http://news.cnet.com/2100-1038_3-5997332.html

/HIJACK

what the fulce?

• Walk-On
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2010, 01:27:39 PM »

Alabama A&M
Albany (N.Y.)
Belmont
Binghamton
Elon
Gardner-Webb
High Point
Lipscomb
Longwood
North Dakota State
Northern Colorado
Oakland
Sacred Heart
South Dakota State
Stony Brook
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi
UC Davis
UC Riverside
Utah Valley

Belmont made it two years ago and almost upset Duke in the first round.

http://espndb.go.com/ncb/recap?id=284000043

Mu2323

• Starter
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2010, 01:28:35 PM »
If not we are def a lock for a #1 seed in the NIT

GoPanthers33

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2010, 03:35:45 PM »
With the win over St. Johns I think the debate is over (If it was even a debate anymore) We are IN and now are playing for seeding  :D

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2010, 03:56:31 PM »
ND St. made the tourney.

also, its depressing how many of those teams we have played.

So has Albany, Belmont, Binghamton, and Sacred Heart off the top of my head.  Bama A&M might have too.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2010, 04:01:31 PM »
The reason we have a play in game is because of the breakup of the WAC and the Mountain West.  The compromise over who got the auto bid was solved with the addition of th play in game.

Current NCAA rules are that there will be 34 at large bids, and the number of teams in the tournament will be the number of automatic bids (currently 31) plus 34.  I think 64 is the right number.  Pretty much half the big conference teams get in, that ought to be enough, and nobody else they add will have any kind of chance to do much of anything.

The percentage of football teams that go to bowls is, of course, totally irrelevant.  Only 2 NCAA football teams make the football NCAA tournament.  Everyone else is in football's version of the NIT.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

YoungMUFan4

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2010, 04:18:49 PM »
didn't wisconsin play texas A&M CC

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2010, 04:21:28 PM »
we are in, now lets win more and get a good seed.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

feedback