collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Julius Peppers and Chester Taylor  (Read 17231 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Julius Peppers and Chester Taylor
« Reply #75 on: March 06, 2010, 07:54:19 AM »
Yeah, I'm not sure how good that contract looks in year three, but that's OK.  The Packers need him to make a run.

LON

• All American
« Reply #76 on: March 08, 2010, 12:05:49 PM »
Yeah, I'm not sure how good that contract looks in year three, but that's OK.  The Packers need him to make a run.

I bet he retires after this year or next

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #77 on: March 08, 2010, 12:11:40 PM »
Just ask the Redskins how big name free agent signings generally work out... in the NFL you build through the draft.  The Cutler trade will probably end up being worth it in the long run, and the Gaines Adams situation was something that no one could have seen coming, so you can't really fault the Bears giving up those draft picks.  BUT, just eating it for a year might be better than giving a bunch of 30 year olds big contracts

The problem with the Bears eating it for a year means that if that was their viewpoint they would have fired the coaching staff, if they were going to keep the level of talent on the team the same. But I do agree that in the NFL you build through the draft.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #78 on: March 08, 2010, 12:12:08 PM »
Packers are one of the best run organizations in the NFL, run far better than the Bears are. At the end of the day though, they play in the smallest market in sports. If the NFL evolves the way it looks like it's going to, the Packers long term may be in trouble. Hub has posted this in Pro Football Weekly a few months back, and guys around the league are very worried about what could be going down in the next 5-10 years. No matter how well run the Pack are, there's only so many revenue streams that the team can tap based on it's location. The only plus from having the NFL turn into MLB (where it's Red Sox, Yankees, Cubs, etc), is the tv deal is still dispersed league wide. As much as people love the Packers in Wisconsin, at the end of the day, radio/media (non TV) revenue for the Bears/Giants/Redskins (etc) will make and be re-invested into player costs long term. I love Miller Lite and Allen Edmonds as much as the next guy, but will those corporations pony up what say Dr. Pepper will to be the corporate partner providing Cowboys football?

Point is, everything is chaning. Revenue streams that teams took in before will start going toward player costs (where they previously could not). Teams that draft well will be in great shape if the new rules stay after the new CBA. The Packers will be around, but could be at a huge disadvantage. I wasn't shocked for a second when they raised ticket costs this offseason. Eventually you'll probably see the Packers (and most NFL teams) over time develop a pure auction system for tickets. That day is coming real soon.

The Packers and Bears might be the only two properties to which Miller would pony up whatever it really took. Maybe the Vikings, Brewers & Red Wings too.
But I like to throw handfuls...

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #79 on: March 08, 2010, 02:23:15 PM »
i think that says as much about Cowboys football as the sponsor. nothing has the regional influence and advertising power of the Cowboys.  the combination of the adoration for the cowboys and their expansive fans make it one of the best investments a company could make. 

feedback