[Today at 02:47:50 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by MUbiz
[Today at 12:32:43 PM]

Point guard or big by Jockey
[Today at 11:37:56 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 10:25:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bilas gives the Warriors some love  (Read 7421 times)

Milkshakes

• All American
Bilas gives the Warriors some love
« on: March 04, 2010, 03:35:15 PM »
The following is from today's online discussion with Jay Bilas on espn.com:

"Jay, who's your sleeper next week in the Big East tourney? I really feel like Seton Hall can go and win 2 or possibly 3 games at MSG.

Jay Bilas  (4:13 PM)

Marquette. Guards, and playing really well. They Golden Eagles....aw, forget it....the Warriors are really tough minded and good. Lazar Hayward is one of the truly underrated stars in the college game."

Several reasons to like this post!

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
Re: Bilas gives the Warriors some love
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 03:42:46 PM »
Once again, somebody points out how ridiculous our name change was. If Warriors was a truly offensive name, would people still be using it regularly...more than 15 years(!) since it was stripped away!!?!?!?

Incidentally, I don't think we're a good pick in the BE tournament.

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 04:00:59 PM »

I don't think we're a good pick in the BE tournament.

Agreed.  We all saw how gassed the team was in the 2nd half against Florida St.  Add to that a season's worth of wear and tear, and I'd be surprised if we were playing next Friday. 

That said, I'll have no complaints if the team proves me wrong.

GoldenWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 04:38:42 PM »
Agreed.  We all saw how gassed the team was in the 2nd half against Florida St.  Add to that a season's worth of wear and tear, and I'd be surprised if we were playing next Friday. 

I think Bilas just meant he could see us winning a few games, not necessarily winning the tournament.

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 04:40:25 PM »
some on this board would argue that Jay is an out dated Old Timer for calling us Warriors.  I submit that those same people dig Techno music.

PJDunn

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 04:49:03 PM »
Golden Eagle???  Am I on the Southern Miss rivals site?? 

Bilas got it right.

SacWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 05:16:33 PM »
I've always thought Bilas was a pretty bright guy, for an ESPN analyst. Just like everyone else on that network he seems to love talking about Duke-UNC, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt considering he's a Duke grad and all.

I don't know I think we can make it pretty far in the tournament. We've shown plenty of heart and effort all year long. I think what's hurting us is that we're really not playing for anything (especially if we beat ND), whereas everyone around us, UCONN, ND, Loserville, USF, Seton Hazell, etc. are all playing for a spot in the field.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 06:35:14 PM by SacWarrior »

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 05:33:50 PM »
Uhhhhhhhhh, Pitt isnt playing for a spot in the field.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 06:14:34 PM »

you will see more of Junior and EW if we get to Fri/Sat. This team is also in much better shape than Fla State. That game was many moons ago.

sailwi

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 06:27:51 PM »
Advancing in the tournament will depend on a lot on seed, don't want to play a 1 in the second game, UK, KU would not be good matchups for us.  A 7 or 6 seed would be the ultimate but I haven't researched it enough to know if that is even possible.

SacWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 06:34:48 PM »
Uhhhhhhhhh, Pitt isnt playing for a spot in the field.

That was my bad I dont know why the hell I said Pitt

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2010, 07:51:41 PM »
I think Bilas was going for the lower case w warriors connotation by bringing up the old nickname.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

GoldenWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2010, 08:56:36 AM »
Advancing in the tournament will depend on a lot on seed, don't want to play a 1 in the second game, UK, KU would not be good matchups for us.  A 7 or 6 seed would be the ultimate but I haven't researched it enough to know if that is even possible.
Bilas is only talking about the Big East tournament here guys... some people are taking it like he's saying we are making a run in the NCAA tourney, and he's not

redddog13

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2010, 09:25:20 AM »
If he thinks we can make a run in the BE tourney, why couldn't MU win a few games in the dance?

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
MU has slowed it down since Flo State and NCState games
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2010, 10:20:50 AM »
True, we ran out of gas against Flo State on the third straight game of playing, but don't forget we were playing a very hectic, tiring pace early in the season.  We were averaging 69 trips down the court, well above the NCAA average.  I think Buzz realized we didn't have enough depth to go for a steal every trip down, so he completely slowed things down on both ends.  Going into the ND game MU actually plays at one of the slowest paces in the nation, averaging only 64.4 trips down the court per game (293rd fastest of 347)
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2010, 10:46:02 AM »
This team is in incredible shape.  I'm always surprised at these guys goin 38-44 minutes and not losing a step.  I think their conditioning can not be overlooked in regards to their success with such a short lineup this year.

tower912

• All American
Re: MU has slowed it down since Flo State and NCState games
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2010, 11:43:27 AM »
True, we ran out of gas against Flo State on the third straight game of playing, but don't forget we were playing a very hectic, tiring pace early in the season.  We were averaging 69 trips down the court, well above the NCAA average.  I think Buzz realized we didn't have enough depth to go for a steal every trip down, so he completely slowed things down on both ends.  Going into the ND game MU actually plays at one of the slowest paces in the nation, averaging only 64.4 trips down the court per game (293rd fastest of 347)

Don't tell anybody, but we are playing at the same speed as Wisconsin.    Which pains me more than I can say, but is obviously the best plan for this shallow, short team.     
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

boyonthedock

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2010, 12:40:38 PM »
I've always thought Bilas was a pretty bright guy, for an ESPN analyst. Just like everyone else on that network he seems to love talking about Duke-UNC, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt considering he's a Duke grad and all.

I don't know I think we can make it pretty far in the tournament. We've shown plenty of heart and effort all year long. I think what's hurting us is that we're really not playing for anything (especially if we beat ND), whereas everyone around us, UCONN, ND, Loserville, USF, Seton Hazell, etc. are all playing for a spot in the field.

I can forgive him talking up UNC DUKE a lot, because he went to duke. I would talk up MU a lot if i were an analyst.

PLus, bilas has had nothing but good things to say about marquette for years now. Has liked the team since at least the 3 amigos frosh year. makes him one of my prefered analysts.

LON

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2010, 12:53:20 PM »
Don't tell anybody, but we are playing at the same speed as Wisconsin.    Which pains me more than I can say, but is obviously the best plan for this shallow, short team.     

Our offense is still more fun to watch (and play in) than the swing.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2010, 02:03:59 PM »
Agreed.    And with a legit 9.5 man rotation like Buzz wants, I am sure MU will play at a faster pace.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2010, 02:06:23 PM »
But we are still infinitely more fun to watch. That is what counts!

GoldenWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2010, 02:22:04 PM »
If he thinks we can make a run in the BE tourney, why couldn't MU win a few games in the dance?
I'm not saying that we can't make a run in the NCAA tourney... I'm simply pointing out that this quote only speaks to the Big East tourney... earlier in the thread it seemed like people were reading it like he said we r making a run in the NCAA's and he didn't, that's all.

Man I hope we make a run though in the NCAAs!!!  But the simple fact we are in this thing is amazing!

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2010, 02:53:40 PM »
Agreed.    And with a legit 9.5 man rotation like Buzz wants, I am sure MU will play at a faster pace.
Is Acker coming back next year to be the .5? 

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
Bilas like MU
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2010, 06:04:50 PM »
Just watched some show and the topic was "What bubble team will make a run in the tourney?" 

Bilas liked Marquette because of our guard play.  Why are we still considered a bubbled team?  Oh well...
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com