[Today at 12:57:23 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by PointWarrior
[April 30, 2024, 11:37:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[April 30, 2024, 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 30, 2024, 02:09:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Would Marquette Ever Add Hockey?  (Read 7812 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: Would Marquette Ever Add Hockey?
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2010, 10:33:29 AM »
Admirals played at the MECCA before the BC.

So you are saying we would have to be the second or third ranked school in attendance to compete?

http://www.uscho.com/stats/attendance.php

No, take a look at the average size of places that they play in.  We would most be like Ohio State in crowd size relative to rink capacity.  Marquette would not have a good program for awhile, and like it or not, that would be what it takes to get a substantial crowd.  So in the meantime, playing at the BC or the Cell, in a largely empty arena is HORRIBLE.  Ohio State games are miserable cause there is nobody there, and they don't have a terrible program in an Ohio State obsessed town. 

I love hockey, went to college at a school with a top 5 program the last 5 years and it was more fun than basketball and football combined, but short of Marquette finding/building a rink with 4-5K in seating, this is never feasible.  They would be better off adding men's and women's lacrosse which I think would be awesome.

LON

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2010, 11:01:29 AM »

It would be nice if you could substantively refute any argument that I have brought forward.  Instead, in two replies to me, you've called me grumpy and suggest that I no longer have sex.

And I'm supposed to take you seriously???

So you do have the sex, then?

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2010, 11:06:55 AM »
No, take a look at the average size of places that they play in.  We would most be like Ohio State in crowd size relative to rink capacity.  Marquette would not have a good program for awhile, and like it or not, that would be what it takes to get a substantial crowd.  So in the meantime, playing at the BC or the Cell, in a largely empty arena is HORRIBLE.  Ohio State games are miserable cause there is nobody there, and they don't have a terrible program in an Ohio State obsessed town. 

I love hockey, went to college at a school with a top 5 program the last 5 years and it was more fun than basketball and football combined, but short of Marquette finding/building a rink with 4-5K in seating, this is never feasible.  They would be better off adding men's and women's lacrosse which I think would be awesome.

I completely agree with all of the above...I thought you were saying that we would need 10 - 12,000 in attendance to compete.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2010, 11:26:24 AM »
So you do have the sex, then?

I have sat here with a blank screen for several minutes and cannot come up with a clever response...so I'm just going to say "yes."

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2010, 11:27:57 AM »
In the grand scheme... I believe hockey is second only to football in costs.  Ice time alone can run a program nearly $100,000/year.  That's probably enough to cover the entire budget for two smaller sports like X-Country and Golf.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2010, 11:34:17 AM »
yeah, its just a bummer that i cant get drunk and blow an afternoon watching X country.

maybe, if MU also opened up a brewery...

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2010, 11:42:02 AM »
24 schollies @ 40K = 960K
Equipment and Facilities = 250K
Coaches = 250K
Travel = 400K

Say roughly $2 million

Even if you could draw 10,000 at $10/head you'd need 20 games to breakeven.

That said put me down for 4 season seats at the glass
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

LON

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2010, 11:49:14 AM »

I have sat here with a blank screen for several minutes and cannot come up with a clever response...so I'm just going to say "yes."

Just easin' the tension, baby.

feedback