Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: How DJO could be unstoppable  (Read 5972 times)

HoopsMalone

• All American
How DJO could be unstoppable
« on: February 21, 2010, 04:13:00 PM »
I am loving DJO's game more and more.  His stroke is pure, and he gets into the lane.

Being that he has such a good outside shot and can jump, he needs to add a mid-range jump shot.  I thought he could have pulled up a few times in the middle rather than going all the way to the hoop and then throwing up a left-handed prayer from five feet out with bigs helping on him.  With the limited scoring options on MU this year, it is hard to criticize him letting it flew in close, but he could make life easier on himself. 

He is only a sophmore, so I can't wait to see him add a 12 foot pull up in the next two years.  You really can't help off of DJO, which will open the lane for Vander and Reggie in the future too.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
Re: How DJO could be unstoppable
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 04:23:43 PM »
I love his game, i just dont like the quite spells. He had 20 early in the second half and then nothing. Hes one of the guys on the team i dont mind shooting when he feels like it. Im also fine with Zar and Jimmy doing what they do and DJO has proven he deserves to take big shots as well. SHOOT MORE DJO.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 04:25:13 PM »
DJO has yet to put a complete game together. He shows 5 minute flashes of being the best player in the Big East, then he goes invisible for a bit. It could just be that he's taking his opportunities as they come, but I have a feeling that when it clicks for him, he's going to have some monster games. I could see him putting up multiple 40 point games before his time in an MU uni is up. He's the best pure scorer we've had since Wade.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 04:28:32 PM »
I would not mind him even letting some NBA range threes fly a little more often in the next two years.  His shots are dead on, and that range will really help spread the floor.  He always shot fakes from there, but I don't recall him letting it fly from 5-7 feet back. 

I love that he always has the ball in triple threat position like we are taught in grade school and he is always ready to fire if the shot looks good.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 04:29:42 PM »
Needs to be sharper with the ball but he has the tools.

The Pickle

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 04:30:41 PM »
He would also be unstoppable if he never missed a shot...

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 04:32:06 PM »
....and was 8 feet tall
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Pickle

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 04:36:01 PM »
...and could fly...

patso

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 04:38:28 PM »
And could run, jump and maneuver like a human squirrel

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 04:43:20 PM »
And could run, jump and maneuver like a human squirrel

Possibly one to many.

He'll develop a pull up jumper, it took McNeal 3 years to figure it out but something tells me DJO will have it by next year.  Its either a 3 or all the way to the hoop right now.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2010, 04:43:27 PM »
As of today...

DJO FT% = 63.2% (lowest among the starters)
DJO 3FG%= 49.1%
DJO FG% = 45.5%

Interesting as FTs are set shots from a line but he's shooting an incredible % from the 3pt line.
SS Marquette

The Pickle

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2010, 04:46:10 PM »
As of today...

DJO FT% = 63.2% (lowest among the starters)
DJO 3FG%= 49.1%
DJO FG% = 45.5%

Interesting as FTs are set shots from a line but he's shooting an incredible % from the 3pt line.

I don't know what to make of his numbers, but I do know it sucks to have a guard who can shoot but can't make free throws...

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2010, 04:46:50 PM »
IMHO, when he can go to his right as strong as he goes to his left and find a mid-range game, he'll be the complete package within the college basketball game.  He had some very poor turnovers today, but I absolutely love the way he plays.  His defense really seems to be improving as well.

harryp

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2010, 04:49:01 PM »
DJO needs to learn how to go to his right.  UC made him go right not left and that's what stopped him.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2010, 04:54:28 PM »
What's with the "Odom-Johnson"?  He's good enough the announcers and the network should get it right.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

The Pickle

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2010, 04:55:51 PM »
What's with the "Odom-Johnson"?  He's good enough the announcers and the network should get it right.

It's killer, now we can call him OJ.  I don't think there has been any other great athlete with that nickname...

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2010, 05:00:34 PM »
It's killer, now we can call him OJ.  I don't think there has been any other great athlete with that nickname...
You're forgetting the great cutter and slasher from USC
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

The Pickle

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2010, 05:01:47 PM »
Oh yeah, that guy could really murder a defense.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2010, 05:05:35 PM »
I am not sure of his right or his left, but I know this.  His game is much better than Wes, Jerel or DJ at this stage in their careers.
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2010, 05:22:44 PM »
With improving defense, if he can go to his right as well as left for shots - wow.  Throw in a mid-range jumper - yikes - unstoppable.  Even if he's not Rocky the flying squirrel :)

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2010, 05:34:04 PM »
I am not sure of his right or his left, but I know this.  His game is much better than Wes, Jerel or DJ at this stage in their careers.

They are different.  I would say Jerel was at a similar stage.  Jerel had great defense, effectively penetrate and finished, and a good 12 to 15 footer.  I think that Jerel was similar in his career and that injury at the end of the season was bad for the team.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

flash

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2010, 05:45:01 PM »
DJO played great today, however I would like to see him play well for the entire game, he shows flashes of greatness like he did today but he has a tendancy to disappear for stretches.  This will come with time, i think next year he will be our leading scorer my guess is somewhere from 15-17 ppg.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2010, 05:48:59 PM »
They are different.  I would say Jerel was at a similar stage.  Jerel had great defense, effectively penetrate and finished, and a good 12 to 15 footer.  I think that Jerel was similar in his career and that injury at the end of the season was bad for the team.

Jerel was NEVER that deadly from three.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Jacks DC

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2010, 05:58:21 PM »
DJO played great today, however I would like to see him play well for the entire game, he shows flashes of greatness like he did today but he has a tendancy to disappear for stretches.  This will come with time, i think next year he will be our leading scorer my guess is somewhere from 15-17 ppg.

Agree but I there's no doubt in my mind that Cronin spend a good portion of the halftime yelling at his guys to get a hand in DJO's face.  They really tightened up on him and he never seemed to force it too much.

Also I can live with DJO's turnovers with the way he attacks the rim.  I'm sure he could reverse it around the perimeter all day like Coobie and not have any TOs.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2010, 06:39:56 PM »
If he can continue to develop his game, I could see him ending up very much like a Ben Gordon type player.  I don't think I ever see him being a true point guard.

marquette99

• Starter
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2010, 06:44:47 PM »
Love his game - if he can just settle down on the pass and be willing to put the pass in someones chest instead of assuming they can make a perfect cut to the hoop and catch an 100 mph pass in stride.  Unstoppable shot and drive, and dwade and jerel both had some high turnover games - so I'm excited

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2010, 07:01:07 PM »
If he can continue to develop his game, I could see him ending up very much like a Ben Gordon type player.  I don't think I ever see him being a true point guard.

Good call on Ben Gordon.  He probably won't play point at MU because he will be playing the three for the rest of this year, and then the three with Vander on one wing and him on the other for the next two years.  With the team Buzz has recruited, I cannot imagine a lineup where he plays the 1. 

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2010, 07:26:29 PM »
I would have to say he would be unstoppable if he looked up on his drives and passed to either the open shooter or the forward down low every now and again. 

wyoMUfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2010, 07:54:49 PM »
DJO  = Awesome
So glad he is a Sophomore

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2010, 08:34:35 PM »
I wonder what kind of numbers he would be putting up in the JUCO ranks this year.  He is an elite talent.  Immediate impact player.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2010, 09:02:10 PM »
Could use more recruits from the state of North Carolina. I think the last one prior to Johnson-Odom was Barry Brennan. He rode the pines and was recruited through some family friendship with Al.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2010, 10:13:32 PM »
You're forgetting the great cutter and slasher from USC

OJ Mayo?  ;)

The Pickle

• Team Captain
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2010, 04:13:43 PM »

I don't think anyone ever thought he would be a true point guard, did they?  Is that what he was recruited for?  I can't imagine he was given the fact Cadougan was in the same class...

feedback