[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: So I Just Watched the Tiger Woods Apology  (Read 11299 times)

d6

• Scholarship Player
Re: So I Just Watched the Tiger Woods Apology
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2010, 02:27:43 PM »
Kinda wish he would have walked out, declared that his wife and family deserve an apology and a better husband/father, and the rest of you (including me) need to get a life and don't deserve any apology for anything.  He's a golfer.  That's it.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2010, 04:14:54 PM »
For those of you who wonder why the man got married... Heres the answer

That doesn't suck to wake up to every morning... I mean unless you smell of another woman, and she has a 9 iron in hand.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2010, 11:58:14 PM »

That doesn't suck to wake up to every morning... I mean unless you smell of another woman, and she has a 9 iron in hand.

Or unless she says to Tiger, "I've got the P and you don't get it anymore.  Thanks for the money."
 Absent that....why in the world would he not be happy with that answer?
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

wildbill sb

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2010, 12:35:22 AM »
Speaking of Buddhism, I believe it was Confucius who once said:

Man who drive well in fairway not always fare well in driveway.

+100
“I’m working as hard as I can to get my life and my cash to run out at the same time. If I can just die after lunch Tuesday, everything will be perfect.”  - Doug Sanders, professional golfer

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2010, 07:36:36 AM »
My initial reaction to the tabloid headline before the car accident sums up  my views here.

"But he's not cheating at golf?  Ok then."

I kinda wish that he'd completely turn heel and start walking out to the first tee with a Ric Flair style robe on with 3 or 4 valets carrying his clubs.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2010, 07:55:08 AM »

Yeah, but he could have had that and better without getting married.  It's not as though sex outside of marriage was a big deal to him.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2010, 08:45:39 AM »

Yeah, but he could have had that and better without getting married.  It's not as though sex outside of marriage was a big deal to him.

See also: Jeter, Derek.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2010, 08:55:59 AM »
I wonder if, in the history of fame, there's ever been an apology where the audience sits back and says "wow.  That was a great apology.  You sound contrite, described your sins, and have asked for our forgiveness.   Pitch perfect."

Personally, I think he did fine.  Besides him being nailed to a cross while answering questions from the press, he said all the right things.

So what if it was scripted and he didn't deliver it tearfully, like a male Meryl Streep. 

Agreed.

Let's face it, a lot of people held Tiger in such high esteem, and now that he has "let them down", he can't do anything right.

Personally, I've just learned to like my athletes for their abilities, not their character.

I hope my next door neighbor is a "good guy", I hope my favorite athletes are good at sports.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2010, 10:39:25 AM »
See also: Jeter, Derek.

Tiger is not Derek Jeter. Matter of fact, Tiger is basically a dork. His problems stemmed from trying to live up the the role as "the man." He's not Jordan, he's not Barkley. He's just a guy who probably never had a girlfriend until he won the 1997 Masters. Fame overwhelmed him and he went hog wild. Those other guys are true athletes and have probably been banging chicks since their mid-teens. They know how to work these things.  He knew he wanted the spoils, he's just such a dork that he didn't know how to keep in somewhat cool. Now he's basically ruined life in the road for all these other superstar athletes...all because they let Urkle in on their little society.

The problem is, I don't care how much rehab Tiger goes through, how many times he apologizes, he went waaaay too far. Not even the guys I mentioned were screwing Perkins' waitresses in church parking lots. Seriously, who does that?

He'll get his golf game back, but he's going to be the butt of jokes and the subject of a lot of snide comments for the rest of his life. It's too bad, really. At one time I think he really was almost the perfect role model...doting and dutiful son, flashy, a name kids relate to. It's almost tragic, really.

LON

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2010, 12:44:19 PM »
He should have used ashleymadison.com

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2010, 01:51:06 PM »
Tiger is not Derek Jeter. Matter of fact, Tiger is basically a dork. His problems stemmed from trying to live up the the role as "the man." He's not Jordan, he's not Barkley. He's just a guy who probably never had a girlfriend until he won the 1997 Masters. Fame overwhelmed him and he went hog wild. Those other guys are true athletes and have probably been banging chicks since their mid-teens. They know how to work these things.  He knew he wanted the spoils, he's just such a dork that he didn't know how to keep in somewhat cool. Now he's basically ruined life in the road for all these other superstar athletes...all because they let Urkle in on their little society.

The problem is, I don't care how much rehab Tiger goes through, how many times he apologizes, he went waaaay too far. Not even the guys I mentioned were screwing Perkins' waitresses in church parking lots. Seriously, who does that?

He'll get his golf game back, but he's going to be the butt of jokes and the subject of a lot of snide comments for the rest of his life. It's too bad, really. At one time I think he really was almost the perfect role model...doting and dutiful son, flashy, a name kids relate to. It's almost tragic, really.

Wasn't talking about Jeter's personality, I was talking about the fact that Jeter's STILL not married.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

LON

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2010, 02:29:02 PM »
Wasn't talking about Jeter's personality, I was talking about the fact that Jeter's STILL not married.

Pretty sure he is engaged to Minka Kelly, though.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2010, 04:39:32 PM »
Pretty sure he is engaged to Minka Kelly, though.

Still not married, though.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2010, 06:13:30 PM »
Agreed.

Let's face it, a lot of people held Tiger in such high esteem, and now that he has "let them down", he can't do anything right.

Personally, I've just learned to like my athletes for their abilities, not their character.

I hope my next door neighbor is a "good guy", I hope my favorite athletes are good at sports.

This viewpoint has become very popular of late but I think it requires some examination. If this is really how you feel then it must necessarily apply to your most favorite of athletes - Marquette basketball players. Suppose Monterale Clark somehow is acquitted of sexual assault and is cleared by the NCAA. Would you say character be damned if he's the big who could help our team?

I guess I'm old fashioned, but I could never root for a horse's ass like Barry Bonds. Based on your criteria he should be my favorite player of all time. Not for me or hopefully my kids.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2010, 06:24:30 PM »
I wonder if, in the history of fame, there's ever been an apology where the audience sits back and says "wow.  That was a great apology.  You sound contrite, described your sins, and have asked for our forgiveness.   Pitch perfect."

Personally, I think he did fine.  Besides him being nailed to a cross while answering questions from the press, he said all the right things.

So what if it was scripted and he didn't deliver it tearfully, like a male Meryl Streep. 

I agree that judging his "performance" is as futile as it is immaterial. Tiger and only Tiger knows what's in his heart. If his family is important to him he'll prove it over time. If not, it wouldn't matter if he was Laurence Olivier in front of the cameras.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2010, 06:49:00 PM »
This viewpoint has become very popular of late but I think it requires some examination. If this is really how you feel then it must necessarily apply to your most favorite of athletes - Marquette basketball players. Suppose Monterale Clark somehow is acquitted of sexual assault and is cleared by the NCAA. Would you say character be damned if he's the big who could help our team?

I guess I'm old fashioned, but I could never root for a horse's ass like Barry Bonds. Based on your criteria he should be my favorite player of all time. Not for me or hopefully my kids.

It's a fair point, and I'll have to clarify my position:

Obviously I don't want criminals playing for MU, and I hope all of MU's players represent MU well while they play and after they play.

MU is a part of who I am, and therefore I really hope to have great players and great people representing the school.

As far as professional athletes, I still have players I "like" better than others for whatever reason (always liked Derek Jeter for example).

But, if it comes out that Derek Jeter cheats on his fiance and is generally a douche, I'm not going to be pissed and expect Derek Jeter to apologize to me.

Will I be disappointed? Yea, maybe a little. But, I'm not looking at professional athletes as role models in life. Truth is, most pro athletes were the best player on their team/league since they were very young, and many of them have inflated egos and sense of worth that makes it hard for them to be "good people".

With this said, there are some good guys out there. I'm just saying that I'm not developing a big emotional connection to pro athletes because I really just like them for being good at sports. 

In all fairness, I don't have any kids, so maybe when I'm a dad I'll be tougher on athletes as my kids look up to them.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2010, 08:10:24 PM »
It's a fair point, and I'll have to clarify my position:

Obviously I don't want criminals playing for MU, and I hope all of MU's players represent MU well while they play and after they play.

MU is a part of who I am, and therefore I really hope to have great players and great people representing the school.

As far as professional athletes, I still have players I "like" better than others for whatever reason (always liked Derek Jeter for example).

But, if it comes out that Derek Jeter cheats on his fiance and is generally a douche, I'm not going to be pissed and expect Derek Jeter to apologize to me.

Will I be disappointed? Yea, maybe a little. But, I'm not looking at professional athletes as role models in life. Truth is, most pro athletes were the best player on their team/league since they were very young, and many of them have inflated egos and sense of worth that makes it hard for them to be "good people".

With this said, there are some good guys out there. I'm just saying that I'm not developing a big emotional connection to pro athletes because I really just like them for being good at sports. 

In all fairness, I don't have any kids, so maybe when I'm a dad I'll be tougher on athletes as my kids look up to them.

I agree that adults shouldn't have "big emotional connections" with professional athletes. That said, I'd still rather root for a good guy than a jerk. And when I find out a guy I rooted for is a jerk I root for somebody else.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2010, 09:22:04 PM »
I agree that adults shouldn't have "big emotional connections" with professional athletes. That said, I'd still rather root for a good guy than a jerk. And when I find out a guy I rooted for is a jerk I root for somebody else.

Totally fair.

I guess it just depends on the amount of "jerkiness" for me.

EDIT: Brett Favre is a pretty big jerk because of his ego. However, I don't think he's as big of a jerk as most people like to think, nor do I really care that he's a diva. He's REALLY good at professional football.

In the professional world, people who are extremely good at their jobs are often given leeway. I don't pretend to approach Brett any differently.

The amount of "leeway" just differs for everybody I suppose.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 08:21:06 AM by 2002MUalum »

feedback