[Today at 12:50:35 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by warriorchick
[Today at 12:06:20 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: David Cubillian  (Read 8297 times)

GregClausenForever

• Scholarship Player
Re: David Cubillian
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2010, 10:02:20 AM »
Would you concede that he is the worst player to average nearly 30 mpg? I'd be hard pressed to find another...

Bottom line is that at 30mpg the man should do more on the court. I cant remember anyone to do less with that many minutes at MU

T Squared comes to mind.  Except for an awesome dunk every third or fourth game, he contributed virtually nothing to the Final Four team.  Yet he started every game.

Seriously, he averaged almost 26 minutes a game with averages of 5.8 ppg, 2.7 rpg, and 1.8 apg.  Those numbers are about even with Cubes. 

Granted, he didn't have to do much that year, was just kinda along for the ride.  But he was a bit of a defensive liability despite being so athletic.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2010, 10:20:52 AM »
I'm just very surprised Cadougan is getting no minutes at all.  Even with the foul trouble today, he did not even step on the court.  Seems like a big waste to have him play this year,

Yeah, you know if he really isn't ready to contribute and be on the floor, then they should have tried to keep the red-shirt on him.  If they thought he *could* contribute, and he just isn't ready, then they made a mistake.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2010, 10:27:00 AM »
But in the end does a coaches opinion matter when it comes to Jr taking off the redshirt?  Nope. It is his decision and his alone.

In regards to Cubes, is he a prime time #2? No, but who else is going to get all those minutes at SG?  I like the leadership and experience he is bringing to this team. Like every other starter on this team we absolutely can't afford not to have him.

Edit: Sultan- wasn't singling out your comment, just more as a general thought to the "why did we let him come back" line of thinking.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 10:32:08 AM by MU_B2002 »
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2010, 10:28:04 AM »
But in the end does a coaches opinion matter when it comes to Jr taking off the redshirt?  Nope. It is his decision and his alone.

I know....that's why I said "tried to keep the redshirt on him."

dsfire

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2010, 12:17:57 PM »
Wow.

Cubes did not have a good night last night, to put it kindly.  That aside, he's really stepped up this year - especially in the wake of the Cadougan injury.  He's usually the last offensive option on the floor (something we're not used to from our shooting guards), but is ranked 16th in the Big East for offensive rating in conference play, mostly due to shooting 3s at nearly 40%.  Add to that he's often playing PG when Acker's off the floor, and has the second best assist-to-turnover ratio in the conference (behind Acker).

I've been really impressed with how Cubillan has played this year.  If you're looking for someone to slash and create, he's not your guy, but his shot has returned to pre-injury form and he's been able to distribute to the guys that are taking the shots.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2010, 12:43:54 PM »
I like Cubby, I really do, but he played an absolutely awful game last night. Towards the end of the 1st half, did he just "leave" the ball off a dribble for a teammate to come grab only to see it taken the distance by that Pitt player? That was just atrocious.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2010, 01:04:12 PM »
I like him as well, he has contributed a lot this year but last night he had a couple of big meltdowns. I think the Pitt defense unnerved the whole team

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2010, 01:12:36 PM »
Would you concede that he is the worst player to average nearly 30 mpg? I'd be hard pressed to find another...

In certain games when hes not needed i guess its ok to leave him out there as he does atleast guard someone. Games like today I'd rather take 30 minutes and 6 buycks turnovers over what he provides- atleast dwight is making an effort to get past defenders and produce a bit

Bottom line is that at 30mpg the man should do more on the court. I cant remember anyone to do less with that many minutes at MU

I don't like ripping on student athletes, especially ones that are playing.  The kid has had some really good games this year, tries his best.  I'm happy to rip on coaches, fans, refs, but I don't like ripping on the players (I do violate this at times much to my chagrin)

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2010, 01:16:05 PM »
Coobey's problem is matchups.  Against some teams he matches up well.  Against bigger quicker G's (last nite for sure ), Coobs just is out of his element.

Last nite, unfortunately, Acker got into foul trouble, putting Coobey at the point for extended minutes.  Not his true role and it showed last nite on both ends of the court.

Unless he is hitting his shot and not turning the ball over, Coobey is a role player.  Role players can't get 30 minutes a game unless they contibute something.  Had Mo stayed out of foul trouble, I suspect his minutes would have been much less last nite.

Gotta admire David's effort and heart though.  A true Warrior.