[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: David Cubillian  (Read 8276 times)

schubert33

• Starter
David Cubillian
« on: February 18, 2010, 11:21:30 PM »
I'm sorry but Cubbie is the worst starting 2 guard in MU history. Why on earth did they blow Cadoughn's redshirt to sit on the bench and watch that mess??
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 11:25:09 PM by schubert33 »

KipsBayEagle

Re: David Cubillian
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 11:23:06 PM »
I do feel very bad for Cadougan.  He shouldn't be in the mix this year.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 11:24:13 PM »
If Acker hadn't been sitting with 4 fouls, you wouldn't notice Cooby as much.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Doris Burkes Thong

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 11:25:18 PM »
Cadougan is a huge defensive liability. Can't play a guy that's going to get beat off the dribble on every defensive possession. We're already scrambling on defense as it is by havign to double down on bigs.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 11:26:02 PM »
Lay off Cubby.  He's performed well.  As anothoer poster said, Mo's foul's hurt.  If Cubby hits one more 3, it's a much different game.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 11:26:14 PM »
I told my friend that he may be the worst player in MU history to average approximately 30 mpg in a season and he got offended- what a pansy

Honestly though, he brings very little to the table, esp for playing so much

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 11:27:50 PM »
Cadougan is a huge defensive liability. Can't play a guy that's going to get beat off the dribble on every defensive possession. We're already scrambling on defense as it is by havign to double down on bigs.
If thats the case, Buzz should have explained to him that he should keep his red shirt, and not burn a year sitting on the bench.  This poor kid busts his you know what trying to get back, and is rewarded with a year of burnt eligibility, probaly a slight loss of confidence in his game for being benched, and now dealing with an incoming recruiting class that is essentially all players gunning for his position.

schubert33

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 11:29:15 PM »
Lay off Cubby.  He's performed well.  As anothoer poster said, Mo's foul's hurt.  If Cubby hits one more 3, it's a much different game.

What did he do, besides dribble the ball off his foot twice!!  Be honest with yourself, he wouldn't start in the Horizon league.  Look at the starting 2 guards in that league, he wouldn't start, bank it!

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 11:41:40 PM »
when he turns it over it always seems to be a crucial point. No shots from outside either

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 11:46:07 PM »
I'm sorry but Cubbie is the worst starting 2 guard in MU history.

Back off the ledge...he's not even the worst starting 2 guard in the last 20 years at MU. 

schubert33

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 11:47:24 PM »
Back off the ledge...he's not even the worst starting 2 guard in the last 20 years at MU. 

WHO WAS WORSE???

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 11:48:02 PM »
WHO WAS WORSE???
Dameon Mason (shutter)

JustinLewisFanClubPres

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2010, 11:54:29 PM »
Be honest with yourself, he wouldn't start in the Horizon league.  Look at the starting 2 guards in that league, he wouldn't start, bank it!

Is this an insult or a compliment to Cubillan?  A lot of our team wouldn't be playing much or at all elsewhere in the Big East or elsewhere.  There are a lot of good guards in the Horizon league but none are on our team this year.  We've been extremely competitive this year and its had much less to do with talent than hard work and everyone on the team deserves a lot of credit for it.

It's a tough loss after we've been playing well but we should be extremely happy with the way our team plays.  We could be perennial bottom-dwellers after the guys we lost last year but we've bounced back with very few hiccups this season.  

This team deserves a break from their fans after a tough night.  

schubert33

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2010, 11:56:31 PM »
Is this an insult or a compliment to Cubillan?  A lot of our team wouldn't be playing much or at all elsewhere in the Big East or elsewhere.  There are a lot of good guards in the Horizon league but none are on our team this year.  We've been extremely competitive this year and its had much less to do with talent than hard work and everyone on the team deserves a lot of credit for it.

It's a tough loss after we've been playing well but we should be extremely happy with the way our team plays.  We could be perennial bottom-dwellers after the guys we lost last year but we've bounced back with very few hiccups this season.  

This team deserves a break from their fans after a tough night.  

I just don't understand why he plays soooooooooooooooooooooooo much.   Play Dwight or JR at the 2, anything is better the David!!!!!!!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2010, 12:04:29 AM »
WHO WAS WORSE???

Logtermann when he started the first few years comes to mind first

I was at MU during Dukiet and O'Neill....there were a lot of guys on those teams that started that could not start on this team.  Anglavar another (and I love Anglavar).  Flory.  Foley. (I realize the last two weren't 2 guards)

schubert33

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2010, 12:08:06 AM »

I was at MU during Dukiet and O'Neill....there were a lot of guys on those teams that started that could not start on this team.  Anglavar another (and I love Anglavar).  Flory.  Foley. (I realize the last two weren't 2 guards

Logtermann as a senior was wayyyyyyyyyyyy better then Cubbie!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2010, 12:10:13 AM »
As a senior, yes.  But you said the worst starting 2 guard in MU history.  There were years when Logtermann started in which he was not as good as Cubillan.  Couldn't guard anyone his first few years, too reluctant to take the shots, etc.  Sorry, I took you literally.   ;)  I agree that the two senior years, I'd take Robb, but that's not what you said. 

Hang in there.

schubert33

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2010, 12:12:52 AM »
As a senior, yes.  But you said the worst starting 2 guard in MU history.  There were years when Logtermann started in which he was not as good as Cubillan.  Couldn't guard anyone his first few years, too reluctant to take the shots, etc.  Sorry, I took you literally.   ;)  I agree that the two senior years, I'd take Robb, but that's not what you said. 

Hang in there.

I am currently on the ledge, and I know that you shouldn't come down hard on a non-professional athlete, but I just don't get why he plays so much..

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2010, 12:24:26 AM »

Would you concede that he is the worst player to average nearly 30 mpg? I'd be hard pressed to find another...

In certain games when hes not needed i guess its ok to leave him out there as he does atleast guard someone. Games like today I'd rather take 30 minutes and 6 buycks turnovers over what he provides- atleast dwight is making an effort to get past defenders and produce a bit

Bottom line is that at 30mpg the man should do more on the court. I cant remember anyone to do less with that many minutes at MU

flash

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2010, 01:05:23 AM »
He is definatley the worst stater in the Big East, He probably wouldnt start on any power conference team.  With that said, he has had some great games this year, 6-6 game against georgetown and a couple of other solid outings.  However, I honestly cant wait for him to be gone next year.... He really brings almost nothing to the table besides intensity. I have no idea how a big east school offered him a scholership... he should be playing in the horizon leaue or some other mid major

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2010, 01:12:15 AM »
He is definatley the worst stater in the Big East, He probably wouldnt start on any power conference team.  With that said, he has had some great games this year, 6-6 game against georgetown and a couple of other solid outings.  However, I honestly cant wait for him to be gone next year.... He really brings almost nothing to the table besides intensity. I have no idea how a big east school offered him a scholership... he should be playing in the horizon leaue or some other mid major

He's got some positives- defensive intensity, passion, seems to have decent leadership, can showboat with the best of them, can be a streaky spot shooter (so could kinsella), can land a job with espn deportes, etc

All of this translates to the 6-10 minutes per game he should be getting- Ill concede 12-16 mpg on this thin team

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2010, 01:30:57 AM »

I was at MU during Dukiet and O'Neill....there were a lot of guys on those teams that started that could not start on this team.  Anglavar another (and I love Anglavar).  Flory.  Foley. (I realize the last two weren't 2 guards)

Cubillan is averaging 6.1 ppg, 2.8 apg and 1.5 rpg in more than 29 mpg. Offensively, he is easily the least productive guard OF ANY KIND to play those kind of minutes in at least 45 years.(that's as far as I could go back) I love his effort and intensity and will give him a standing ovation on senior day. But to say MU has given 29 minutes to a weaker 2 guard in the last 20 (or 45) years is just wrong.

WxWarrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2010, 01:42:16 AM »

Of course not... he's a TC recruit.

Anyway, David never has and never will be a stat stuffer, but he doesn't have to be.  We've won without big numbers from him.  What hurt us more tonight was a subpar performance by Lazar (4-17).

New Era Warriors

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2010, 02:33:10 AM »
I bet you guys weren't saying this when he went 6-6 from downtown vs. Georgetown.....  ;)

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2010, 02:51:42 AM »
I'm just very surprised Cadougan is getting no minutes at all.  Even with the foul trouble today, he did not even step on the court.  Seems like a big waste to have him play this year, but hell he probably doesn't want to be around here an extra year anyway.  I must say Cubillan does not bring much to the table as some people said.  If he's shooting hot he is an asset, and his defense is overrated but still decent.

However, I do think Cubillan is doing the best he can and working hard and I commend him for that.  I don't think anyone expected him to do much this year after witnessing his decline the past two seasons, so I suppose we are getting more from him than most of us expected (at least more than I expected).

GregClausenForever

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2010, 10:02:20 AM »
Would you concede that he is the worst player to average nearly 30 mpg? I'd be hard pressed to find another...

Bottom line is that at 30mpg the man should do more on the court. I cant remember anyone to do less with that many minutes at MU

T Squared comes to mind.  Except for an awesome dunk every third or fourth game, he contributed virtually nothing to the Final Four team.  Yet he started every game.

Seriously, he averaged almost 26 minutes a game with averages of 5.8 ppg, 2.7 rpg, and 1.8 apg.  Those numbers are about even with Cubes. 

Granted, he didn't have to do much that year, was just kinda along for the ride.  But he was a bit of a defensive liability despite being so athletic.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2010, 10:20:52 AM »
I'm just very surprised Cadougan is getting no minutes at all.  Even with the foul trouble today, he did not even step on the court.  Seems like a big waste to have him play this year,

Yeah, you know if he really isn't ready to contribute and be on the floor, then they should have tried to keep the red-shirt on him.  If they thought he *could* contribute, and he just isn't ready, then they made a mistake.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2010, 10:27:00 AM »
But in the end does a coaches opinion matter when it comes to Jr taking off the redshirt?  Nope. It is his decision and his alone.

In regards to Cubes, is he a prime time #2? No, but who else is going to get all those minutes at SG?  I like the leadership and experience he is bringing to this team. Like every other starter on this team we absolutely can't afford not to have him.

Edit: Sultan- wasn't singling out your comment, just more as a general thought to the "why did we let him come back" line of thinking.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 10:32:08 AM by MU_B2002 »
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2010, 10:28:04 AM »
But in the end does a coaches opinion matter when it comes to Jr taking off the redshirt?  Nope. It is his decision and his alone.

I know....that's why I said "tried to keep the redshirt on him."

dsfire

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2010, 12:17:57 PM »
Wow.

Cubes did not have a good night last night, to put it kindly.  That aside, he's really stepped up this year - especially in the wake of the Cadougan injury.  He's usually the last offensive option on the floor (something we're not used to from our shooting guards), but is ranked 16th in the Big East for offensive rating in conference play, mostly due to shooting 3s at nearly 40%.  Add to that he's often playing PG when Acker's off the floor, and has the second best assist-to-turnover ratio in the conference (behind Acker).

I've been really impressed with how Cubillan has played this year.  If you're looking for someone to slash and create, he's not your guy, but his shot has returned to pre-injury form and he's been able to distribute to the guys that are taking the shots.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2010, 12:43:54 PM »
I like Cubby, I really do, but he played an absolutely awful game last night. Towards the end of the 1st half, did he just "leave" the ball off a dribble for a teammate to come grab only to see it taken the distance by that Pitt player? That was just atrocious.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2010, 01:04:12 PM »
I like him as well, he has contributed a lot this year but last night he had a couple of big meltdowns. I think the Pitt defense unnerved the whole team

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2010, 01:12:36 PM »

In certain games when hes not needed i guess its ok to leave him out there as he does atleast guard someone. Games like today I'd rather take 30 minutes and 6 buycks turnovers over what he provides- atleast dwight is making an effort to get past defenders and produce a bit

I don't like ripping on student athletes, especially ones that are playing.  The kid has had some really good games this year, tries his best.  I'm happy to rip on coaches, fans, refs, but I don't like ripping on the players (I do violate this at times much to my chagrin)

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2010, 01:16:05 PM »
Coobey's problem is matchups.  Against some teams he matches up well.  Against bigger quicker G's (last nite for sure ), Coobs just is out of his element.

Last nite, unfortunately, Acker got into foul trouble, putting Coobey at the point for extended minutes.  Not his true role and it showed last nite on both ends of the court.

Unless he is hitting his shot and not turning the ball over, Coobey is a role player.  Role players can't get 30 minutes a game unless they contibute something.  Had Mo stayed out of foul trouble, I suspect his minutes would have been much less last nite.

Gotta admire David's effort and heart though.  A true Warrior.