2025 Bracketology by MarquetteMike1977
[Today at 12:57:10 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Lennys Tap
[June 02, 2024, 09:43:52 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by Skatastrophy
[June 02, 2024, 08:27:35 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 02, 2024, 09:27:42 AM]

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by MUbiz
[June 01, 2024, 11:08:53 AM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: DJO or a Big?  (Read 7281 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: DJO or a Big?
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2010, 01:35:58 PM »
This and the other thread regarding late signing of bigs are both missing a huge point.   When we signed DJO last year, we did not NEED bigs.    We had Otule and McMorrow on campus with JMay and Roseboro coming. We needed guards more, as we were looking at having Cadougan, Buycks, Acker, and Cubi as our only guards.  So we signed DJO.    And then the death-spiral for our bigs started. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2010, 02:18:29 PM »
I don't think either will go... but that is where we can agree to disagree.

Ebanks will go, and will be a first rounder.

And I stand by my statement that I wouldn't trade anyone else (unless I can have two Lazars :)) for the reasons these guys stated.

As for Harangody.  The game plan for him is simple.  Let him do his thing.  Guard everyone else... and win.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2010, 02:33:46 PM »
This is a good point, Mbao was a late signee -we'll see how he turns out.  My belief is that Buzz loved the way Mizzou played last year in the NCAA, and wants to have a lineup full of versatile players that can pass, dribble and shoot.  He will likely rotate his 6 guards in 8 minute interals, apply full court pressure all 40 minutes of the game.  I do think Newbill will turn out to be a very good player for MU - just basing it off of his coaches comments and the fact he plays in Philadelphia...got to be some good competition in that city.

I think Newbill will turn out to be good too.  I just think it's easier to find guards that can contribute right away than bigs.  We essentially had a roster spot for next year that we don't need a major contribution from.  I would have rather used that spot to get a big man and let him develop for 2 years until he's ready to contribute.  While I think Newbill will be good, I think we could have found another comparable guard in the future that could contribute when we need him.

Now we'll be in the same position in a few years where we need to find a big that can come in and contribute right away, and as posters on this board have demonstrated repeatedly, those types of players are nearly impossible to find.  We had a perfect opportunity to bring someone in, maybe even redshirt him, and develop him for the future when we needed him.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 02:49:46 PM by Litehouse »

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2010, 02:41:28 PM »
I think Newbill will turn out to be good too.  I just think it's easier to find guards than can contribute right away than bigs.  We essentially had a roster spot for next year that we don't need a major contribution from.  I would have rather used that spot to get a big man and let him develop for 2 years until he's ready to contribute.  While I think Newbill will be good, I think we could have found another comparable guard in the future that could contribute when we need him.

Now we'll be in the same position in a few years where we need to find a big that can come in and contribute right away, and as posters on this board have demonstrated repeatedly, those types of players are nearly impossible to find.  We had a perfect opportunity to bring someone in, maybe even redshirt him, and develop him for the future when we needed him.
Can't argue with this point.  Well thought out.  The only thing I'm going to counter with is that I do think Buzz will land a Top 100, maybe two Top 100 Bigs in the 2011 class.  If he can get 2 of those guys, their upside will likely be higher than any of the marginal bigs available in this spring signing period - and their development may not take quite as long as the longer shot/project type bigs available now. 
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2010, 02:50:56 PM »

And I stand by my statement that I wouldn't trade anyone else (unless I can have two Lazars :)) for the reasons these guys stated.

As for Harangody.  The game plan for him is simple.  Let him do his thing.  Guard everyone else... and win.

OK dude, its fine that you don't like Gody.  But we would be ranked if we swapped those players, hence, we would be a better team. 
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2010, 02:53:02 PM »
If Buzz can get a guy like that, then that would be great.  I'm also not as concerned since Otule still has 3 more years left.

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2010, 02:56:39 PM »
My concern continues to be his health / durability.  Hope his body holds out.  If so, I expect him to be a serviceable "big".  You don't need to have a star at every position.
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2010, 03:00:20 PM »

To be fair, that's not necessarily a reflection on him, but rather a reflection on the rest of that team.

I HATE Gody, but he's an awesome college player.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2010, 03:59:59 PM »
I do not believe Otule is a BE caliber center.

He was a Crean big man recruit; 'nough said.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"