[March 18, 2024, 11:12:52 PM]

A Basketball Renaissance 50 Years In The Making by DavidBoone2inchesTaller
[March 18, 2024, 10:25:35 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by JWags85
[March 18, 2024, 10:01:37 PM]

NIL legal update by GoldenEagles03
[March 18, 2024, 09:10:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: Western Kentucky

Marquette
Marquette vs

Western Kentucky

Date/Time: Mar 22, 2024, 1:00 pm
TV: TBS
Schedule for 2023-24
UConn

Author Topic: [GoMarquette.com] "Gold Out" Planned Thursday Night When MU Hosts No. 19/21 Pittsburgh  (Read 48531 times)

BuzzSucksSucks

• Team Captain
Re: [GoMarquette.com] \
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2010, 11:22:40 PM »
Support your team, but only so far.  Stand on principle.

marq101

• Walk-On
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2010, 12:04:24 AM »
sigh. why does everything need to be a battle?

+1

Chances are if Marquette is your number one team you have blue, gray, and gold MU shirts.  So what's the big deal about throwing one on and getting loud with 17,000+ Marquette fans?

YoungMUFan4

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2010, 12:29:18 AM »
Louisville can do it

The Golden State Warriors can do it

Can Marquette do it?

bs4173

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2010, 12:33:21 AM »
Louisville can do it

Can Marquette do it?

Both look great. I would love to see that at the Bradley Center. Too bad some people love too hold a grudge, stick out as if to be recognized for being "die-hard" yet nonconformist fans, and ultimately bitch too much for it to work.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2010, 05:55:00 AM »
+1

Seriously. I don't disagree with you old-timers. But time and place.

Thursday vs. Pitt is neither the time nor place to make the statement.

WEAR GOLD.

I basically ignore and try to pretend the whole Golden Eagle name/mascot doesn't exist b/c it is so unoriginal and b/c like many, I hate the fact we abandoned Warriors. That said, while I will never wear anything of any color with "Golden Eagles" on it, I will certainly be at the game Thursday wearing MU Gold. I don't see why people wouldn't wear gold as a show of unity and support for the team. Funny how a nickname and less so a mascot are supposed to help unify a school community, and our administration bungled this thing so badly it truly is a divisive force among the MU community as a whole.

Wade for President

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2010, 07:52:28 AM »
Go to the game and cheer as loudly as possible, but wear whatever the heck you want.  This whole "GOLD" stuff is nonsense.  The Golden Eagles....yuck. 

GO WARRIORS!!

Give.  It.  A.  Rest. 

Honestly.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2010, 08:05:55 AM »
Some of you guys are just too crusty for your own good.

Lighten up.

Participate.

It's fun.

I promise.

Plus, I don't think not wearing gold is any sort of statement. If you refused to buy tickets and started a club that watched MU games, but refused to give any money to the school, and then sent pictures of your viewing parties to the administration, that would be a statement.

mugrack

• Team Captain
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2010, 08:14:12 AM »
It will never work at MU, too many old pain in the ass alums who wont wear gold, and people at the games with no real attachment to MU, who are just there for a game.  It's what we have now live in the past if you want, life goes on.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Re: [GoMarquette.com]
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2010, 08:32:04 AM »
I hate the Golden Eagle as much as anyone.  I drive around with a Warrior frame on my plates.

I'm wearing gold on Thursday.  When other schools do a white out, red out, gold out .. it's AWESOME, and contributes to a bigger home court advantage. 

Stop with the rationalization.  You can continue the protest of the GE on Friday.

Wear freaking gold just for that one game and help out.

LON

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2010, 08:52:45 AM »
The only gold shirts I have are Fanatics t-shirts from 2002-2006 and they look awful, but I'm still going to wear one of them and so will my Terrapin girlfriend.

I'll wear my Warriors shirt to the Louisville and ND games.  It's not that bad of a concession to make, and no one will hold anything against you.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2010, 08:59:03 AM »
There are several reasons it won't ever work and it's not just alums who despise our nickname.

Another reason is the color. We have a lot of older season ticket holders. When you're 75 years old, you're not going to wear a gold t-shirt to a game. Not many people have gold oxfords or sweaters in their closet. A white out would work much better.

Gold is an awful color and, when you associate it with our pathetic nickname, it's just not ever going to work.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2010, 09:04:30 AM »
There are several reasons it won't ever work and it's not just alums who despise our nickname.

Another reason is the color. We have a lot of older season ticket holders. When you're 75 years old, you're not going to wear a gold t-shirt to a game. Not many people have gold oxfords or sweaters in their closet. A white out would work much better.

Gold is an awful color and, when you associate it with our pathetic nickname, it's just not ever going to work.

No, they all have the Gold Sweater Vest and sit next to me. Personally, I am thinking of going with the gold banana hammock.  ?-(
But I like to throw handfuls...

LA

• Starter
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2010, 09:08:06 AM »
Give.  It.  A.  Rest. 

Honestly.

+1

Please get over yourselves and wear a gold freakin shirt.

mugrack

• Team Captain
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2010, 09:09:36 AM »
Every time they trot out some old fart to center court because they have had season tickets for 100 years, they are wearing something yellow, at least.

MUCrew

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2010, 09:11:45 AM »

This is why it won't work.  

It's not about "Golden Eagles" more than it is about Marquette.  Look, I don't refer to Marquette as the Golden Eagles either despite the fact that I went there as a Golden Eagle.  It's a nickname...just get over it for ONE night and wear gold to support ONE evening of MARQUETTE basketball.  It's not like they're asking everyone to wear green on Earth Day or Christmas to support those two days.  

I mean, gold isn't an ugly color when everyone in the arena is wearing the same thing.  You'll look like the outcast when you're the only one not wearing gold.  

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2010, 09:17:37 AM »
Only a whore would wear gold because Marquette asked for it. They've been asked to change our nickname back for many years. I'll be there and I will not have a stitch of gold on.

Outcast, my ass!!

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2010, 09:23:49 AM »
Only a whore would wear gold because Marquette asked for it. They've been asked to change our nickname back for many years. I'll be there and I will not have a stitch of gold on.

Outcast, my ass!!

Only a crusty old man would be so adamantly against something that is just for fun / school spirit.

GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 09:40:54 AM by 2002MUalum »

bma725

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2010, 09:27:08 AM »

Bull.  At every game there are hundreds of alums in that age group that wear gold and are happy about it.  Whether it's a t-shirt, sweater, vest or dress shirt, they wear the gold with pride because they're happy to represent Marquette and their support for the university isn't contingent on the nickname or anything else.

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2010, 09:32:33 AM »
I have Olive colored skin.  If I wear gold I look seasick.  It isn't fair!  Now no one will think I have spirit.  Darn it all.

Benny B

• All American
Dammit... Wear Gold. This isn't about the Mascot!
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2010, 09:34:17 AM »
Warriors fight.  Warriors struggle.  Warriors prevail.  And Warriors are rewarded.

And what is the universal reward, recognized by Warriors around the world?

Gold, of course.

Ipso facto, if you're a true Warrior, you will not hesitate to don GOLD on Thursday.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

SERocks

• Team Captain
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2010, 09:35:51 AM »
Wow.  I really don't get it.  I mean the school colors have been Blue & Gold for ages.  Wearing Gold has nothing to do with the Marquette "Gold" or "Golden Eagles" or even "Warriors" for that matter.

It has to do with team unity and spirit.  We are all on the same team, and can argue like siblings about the nickname, but let's all pull together when it counts and support our team!

Dang man....wear some gold.

If I could I would be there, wearing gold!

SERocks

PS - And frankly, since Warriors was out, I thought the best thing to do would be no nickname.  Just simply, "We are Marquette."  It would have been the only way to garner some unity on the issue.

SPS - Wear GOLD!

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2010, 09:41:29 AM »
All you old timers its time to move on.  I mean come on, show some support for the TEAM, some of you must live very sad lives if your rational to go to a MU game in blue is to stick it to administration.  Have fun being the people that REAL fans hate, your all acting like Brett Favre.....quit trying to stick to to anyone and support your ALMA MATER!  Don't forget I can almost guarantee the team will be wearing GOLD jerseys, so stop trying to protest something that is not going to change!  We have to move on!

GO MU! WEAR GOLD!

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2010, 09:42:21 AM »
Bull.  At every game there are hundreds of alums in that age group that wear gold and are happy about it.  Whether it's a t-shirt, sweater, vest or dress shirt, they wear the gold with pride because they're happy to represent Marquette and their support for the university isn't contingent on the nickname or anything else.

+1

The anger some people harbor over a color is pretty remarkable.  It's true that I don't normally walk around wearing anything gold....but I guess that's the point....you'll be at a Marquette game....in the Bradley Center....it's one of our school colors....always has been.  Those who are so adamantly against it should just wear black from head to toe...every game....that'll show 'em.  

I'm pretty sure a lot of people in Syracuse don't always walk around wearing bright orange either aside from game days....West Virginia doesn't seem to have a problem with a gold out....suck it up people.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2010, 10:01:35 AM »
You guys are lemmings!!! If I'm not wearing gold I'm not supporting the team? What a joke!!

You're probably the same guys who get excited when your company lets you wear jeans to work. Yeah!! Blues jeans!! At work!! This is awesome!!! And cookies in the break room, too!!!

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2010, 10:03:10 AM »
In my opinion if the old timers are going to complain about the student section, which as a recent grad I will admit is down this year, then we can complain about your stubbornness in not wearing gold.