[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Lazar will be making a living in Europe...  (Read 4471 times)

WxWarrior

• Scholarship Player
Lazar will be making a living in Europe...
« on: February 13, 2010, 10:40:55 PM »
That's what the color commentator said on TV.  Not sure what his name was, but he is a former NBA scout.  I can't wait to see Lazar prove him wrong. 

A different body type than Wes, but about the same size with a similar game... maybe a better outside shot.  Wes might be a bit quicker but Lazar has a more consistent outside game (despite today's effort).  Plus, if nothing else, Wes is proof of how important the intangibles of hard work/effort can be.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Re: Lazar will be making a living in Europe...
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 10:58:14 PM »
I think he prefaced his comments with "it depends on what team he ends up with (drafted?)" meaning that Zar's chances improve if it's a team that can utilize him. But as the commentator had stated, he felt Zar is probably going Euro.
SS Marquette

WxWarrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 11:03:16 PM »
So he's going to get drafted, then go Euro?  The opinion really wouldn't have mattered (to me) except "former NBA scout" on your resume does give him some credibility.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 11:04:17 PM »
So he's going to get drafted, then go Euro?  The opinion really wouldn't have mattered (to me) except "former NBA scout" on your resume does give him some credibility.

Drafted ONLY if he falls to the right team...but probably will be playing in Europe next year.
Does that make sense?
SS Marquette

WxWarrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 11:07:03 PM »
Thanks Champs.  Yes, and that certainly could be the right call.  It'll be fun to watch it all play out.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 11:32:09 PM »
In case you we wondering the announcer was David Kaplin.  I only knew him from WGN radio.  But apparently he was a scout for the Pacers

http://www.wgnradio.com/shows/sportscentral/wgnam-sportscentral-information,0,1106767.story

🏀

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 11:36:49 PM »
In case you we wondering the announcer was David Kaplin.  I only knew him from WGN radio.  But apparently he was a scout for the Pacers

http://www.wgnradio.com/shows/sportscentral/wgnam-sportscentral-information,0,1106767.story

Kaplan is an idiot. While Lazar will probably be a Euro player, Kaplan is still an idiot.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 12:30:36 AM »
Kaplan is an idiot. While Lazar will probably be a Euro player, Kaplan is still an idiot.

Agreed.  Reading his blog is like reading a third graders homework.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 07:07:27 AM »
His point was that Lazar probably can't ballhandle well enough and isn't quick enough to guard the 2, isn't smooth, athletic or quick enough with his shot to play the 3, and is too small to play the 4 in the league.   He had nothing but praise for how he played THIS game, however. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010, 07:34:28 AM »
Kaplan has credibility. Try to be objective in evaluating Hayward's game for the NBA. Is he a 3 or 4. Can he play the 2? Answer those questions. Lazar ends up in Europe and certainly is not a lock for the 2nd rd.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

nyg

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2010, 07:40:59 AM »
He also mentioned that there were like 17 NBA scouts at the game a few times.  Zar did not hurt his chances with his performance, but I agree with his assessment.

Now Dom Jones hurt himself by going 6 for 26, while the center, Famous put on a good display.

Butler by missing a few shots under the basket and DJO, with his worst performance of the year, did not impress them.

You have to wonder sometimes if the players actually know there are that many scouts at a game and they try to overdo it in impressions.   

burger

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2010, 08:52:49 AM »
That is why the guy is not an NBA scout any more......

I guess he has not heard of players like Quentin Richardson or Adrien Dantley.....

The guy can go crawl back into his UCONN hole....

Of course they were a Final 4 contender this year......

What a BUTT!

Every see an over and back by the way?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2010, 09:33:53 AM »
I've said this before, but Lazar Hayward is pretty much the same type of player that Marcus Landry was last year.  And Landry is having trouble getting on the floor for the Knicks.  If either one of them was two inches taller, and 25 lbs heavier like Carl Landry is, I would think they have the inside out game to stick around the NBA for a long time.

But they don't.  Regardless, you can make lot of money for a long time in Europe.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2010, 09:45:55 AM »
This whole "you can make alot of money in Europe" idea is one of the bigger misunderstandings in basketball.

Yes...there are an abundance of leagues and plenty of opportunities to play...but to think it is a gold mine for college players not good enough for the NBA is a little bit of a stretch.

Jacks DC

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2010, 10:09:37 AM »
I actually liked Kaplin's call of the game.  I don't think he is alone in his view that Heyward is probably going to end up in Europe.

DJO did not post a great line by his standards but played great defense on Jones.  Nice to see he has the ability to play D like that when he has to.

GregClausenForever

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2010, 10:39:18 AM »
Kaplan has credibility. Try to be objective in evaluating Hayward's game for the NBA. Is he a 3 or 4. Can he play the 2? Answer those questions. Lazar ends up in Europe and certainly is not a lock for the 2nd rd.

You're right on.  He's just not quick enough to play the 2 or 3, and he's not very skilled at putting the ball on the floor. 

He's probably strong enough to play the 4, but I don't see it happening in the NBA.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2010, 10:44:37 AM »
This whole "you can make alot of money in Europe" idea is one of the bigger misunderstandings in basketball.

Yes...there are an abundance of leagues and plenty of opportunities to play...but to think it is a gold mine for college players not good enough for the NBA is a little bit of a stretch.

You CAN make a lot of money. It's not guaranteed like in the NBA (league minimum isn't that high). But I personally know someone who played in Spain and made $200k (with a free beach-side condo) for several years. Yes, you still need something else for later in life, and its not what NBA players make, but he did pretty well for himself.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2010, 11:26:17 AM »

Butler by missing a few shots under the basket and DJO, with his worst performance of the year, did not impress them.
\quote

I thought Jimmy Bulter played a hell of a game.  One thing I loved about his game was that when at the top of his key he took his opponent on the dribble to the hole a couple times.  

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2010, 11:58:19 AM »

I guess I should have clarified.  You can make enough money to make a decent living and save some away for your future, all while playing the sport you love.  No you are not an instant millionaire, but it isn't a bad living.