Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Cracked Sidewalks] Looking ahead to 2010-2011  (Read 2673 times)

CrackedSidewalksSays

[Cracked Sidewalks] Looking ahead to 2010-2011
« on: February 11, 2010, 01:00:03 PM »
Looking ahead to 2010-2011

Written by: noreply@blogger.com (Tim Blair)

During the last three weeks the nature of Marquette's roster next season has taken shape with verbal commitments from a pair of recruits and the decision to redshirt another player.

A couple of weeks ago I looked at the fallout from the surprising verbal commitment of 6'4" guard D.J. Newbill.  Newbill is a classic under the radar kid who appears to be blowing up as a senior, prompting MU to push for a verbal as other programs began to make their way to Strawberry Mansion.  To be sure Newbill is a talented player but his verbal ensured that Buzz Williams would have six guards on the roster next season while the Warriors maintained a gaping hole(s) on the baseline.

About that baseline gap......

Recently Buzz Williams announced that 6'10" sophomore Chris Otule will redshirt this season.  The big Texan will have three years of eligibility remaining.  On the one hand it is disappointing that Otule won't be able to return to help the Warriors down the stretch, but the redshirt year could help him and the team immensely.  In the more intense collegiate environment Otule's body has yet to hold up and perhaps an additional season to improve his overall strength, conditioning and durability will lead to more consistent minutes in the coming years.

Perhaps the most important roster news of the last several weeks was the verbal commitment of 6'6" forward Jae Crowder from Howard Junior College in Big Spring, Texas. Originally from Georgia, Crowder went largely unnoticed in high school but his play as a freshman at South Georgia Tech was spectacular.  At South Georgia Tech Crowder averaged 17 points and 10 boards, and was named the player of the year by the Georgia Junior College Athletic Association.

According to reports Crowder transferred out of South Georgia Tech because the college was not accredited, potentially limiting his collegiate options.  This year at Howard Crowder is averaging 18 points, 9 rebounds and better than two steals per game for the 21-1 Hawks.

While undersized at 6'6" Crowder is apparently up to 230 pounds offering the kind of muscle and girth that will fill a huge need on the baseline next season.  Is Crowder enough?  Certainly not but with the pressure on, Buzz landed a player to fill the program's most acute need and was able to corral a more mature player at that.  One interesting aspect of Buzz' player development to date is that he is much more adept at coaching, teaching and developing mature talent than he is true freshmen.  The in-season development of Jimmy Butler last year, the steady play of Darius Johnson-Odom and the improved production from Dwight Buycks this year are in stark contrast to the uneven freshmen performances turned in by Jeronne Maymon, Erik Williams and Chris Otule, none of whom made appreciable contributions as freshmen.

Heading into next season Buzz Williams will have one of the deepest backcourts in the BIG EAST -- Dwight Buycks, Darius Johnson-Odom, Junior Cadougan, Vander Blue, D.J. Newbill, and Reggie Smith.

This group of guards is collectively bigger and more talented than the current vintage and they'll be complemented by wing/combo forwards like Erik Williams, Joe Fulce, Jimmy Butler, Jae Crowder, and Jamail Jones.  Perhaps big men Yous Mbao and the recuperating Chris Otule will be ready for primetime by next fall.

A quick look at the handy MUScoop Scholarship table shows that Marquette will have a deeper and more talented roster next season, full of interchangeable parts enabling Buzz Williams to potentially confuse opponents with a vast array of lineups.  The team will remain massively inexperienced on the baseline and expecting Mbao or Otule to deliver consistent production would be a mistake.  However, the baseline talent deficit will have to be overcome by the roster's other strengths if the program expects to build on its encouraging performance this season.

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2010/02/looking-ahead-to-2010-2011.html

radome

• Team Captain
Re: [Cracked Sidewalks] Looking ahead to 2010-2011
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 01:12:16 PM »

One interesting aspect of Buzz' player development to date is that he is much more adept at coaching, teaching and developing mature talent than he is true freshmen.  The in-season development of Jimmy Butler last year, the steady play of Darius Johnson-Odom and the improved production from Dwight Buycks this year are in stark contrast to the uneven freshmen performances turned in by Jeronne Maymon, Erik Williams and Chris Otule, none of whom made appreciable contributions as freshmen.

Isn't that a bit harsh?  Maymon is Maymon, Otule hasn't really played yet.  I think EWill will be the barometer.  Jimmy, DJO and JB were already seasoned.  I do agree that we don't quite yet know how Buzz is at developiong talent.  We did see improvement in Otule. The JC players arrived with more talent.  Let's see how EWill turns out next year.  I believe that he has the most, by far, undeveloped talent on the team.  I predict that EWill will surprise us next year.

CrackedSidewalksSays

[Cracked Sidewalks] Looking ahead to 2010-2011
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 01:15:03 PM »

During the last three weeks the nature of Marquette's roster next season has taken shape with verbal commitments from a pair of recruits and the decision to redshirt another player.

A couple of weeks ago I looked at the fallout from the surprising verbal commitment of 6'4" guard D.J. Newbill.  Newbill is a classic under the radar kid who appears to be blowing up as a senior, prompting MU to push for a verbal as other programs began to make their way to Strawberry Mansion.  To be sure Newbill is a talented player but his verbal ensured that Buzz Williams would have six guards on the roster next season while the Warriors maintained a gaping hole(s) on the baseline.

About that baseline gap......

Recently Buzz Williams announced that 6'10" sophomore Chris Otule will redshirt this season.  The big Texan will have three years of eligibility remaining.  On the one hand it is disappointing that Otule won't be able to return to help the Warriors down the stretch, but the redshirt year could help him and the team immensely.  In the more intense collegiate environment Otule's body has yet to hold up and perhaps an additional season to improve his overall strength, conditioning and durability will lead to more consistent minutes in the coming years.

Perhaps the most important roster news of the last several weeks was the verbal commitment of 6'6" forward Jae Crowder from Howard Junior College in Big Spring, Texas. Originally from Georgia, Crowder went largely unnoticed in high school but his play as a freshman at South Georgia Tech was spectacular.  At South Georgia Tech Crowder averaged 17 points and 10 boards, and was named the player of the year by the Georgia Junior College Athletic Association.

According to reports Crowder transferred out of South Georgia Tech because the college was not accredited, potentially limiting his collegiate options.  This year at Howard Crowder is averaging 18 points, 9 rebounds and better than two steals per game for the Hawks.

While undersized at 6'6" Crowder is apparently up to 230 pounds offering the kind of muscle and girth that will fill a huge need on the baseline next season.  Is Crowder enough?  Certainly not but with the pressure on, Buzz landed a player to fill the program's most acute need and was able to corral a more mature player at that.  One interesting aspect of Buzz' player development to date is that he is much more adept at coaching, teaching and developing mature talent than he is true freshmen.  The in-season development of Jimmy Butler last year, the steady play of Darius Johnson-Odom and the improved production from Dwight Buycks this year are in stark contrast to the uneven freshmen performances turned in by Jeronne Maymon, Erik Williams and Chris Otule, none of whom made appreciable contributions as freshmen.

Heading into next season Buzz Williams will have one of the deepest backcourts in the BIG EAST -- Dwight Buycks, Darius Johnson-Odom, Junior Cadougan, Vander Blue, D.J. Newbill, and Reggie Smith.

This group of guards is collectively bigger and more talented than the current vintage and they'll be complemented by wing/combo forwards like Erik Williams, Joe Fulce, Jimmy Butler, Jae Crowder, and Jamail Jones.  Perhaps big men Yous Mbao and the recuperating Chris Otule will be ready for primetime by next fall.

A quick look at the handy MUScoop Scholarship table shows that Marquette will have a deeper and more talented roster next season, full of interchangeable parts enabling Buzz Williams to potentially confuse opponents with a vast array of lineups.  The team will remain massively inexperienced on the baseline and expecting Mbao or Otule to deliver consistent production would be a mistake.  However, the baseline talent deficit will have to be overcome by the roster's other strengths if the program expects to build on its encouraging performance this season.

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2010/02/looking-ahead-to-2010-2011.html

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 01:22:54 PM »
Isn't that a bit harsh?  Maymon is Maymon, Otule hasn't really played yet.  I think EWill will be the barometer.  Jimmy, DJO and JB were already seasoned.  I do agree that we don't quite yet know how Buzz is at developiong talent.  We did see improvement in Otule. The JC players arrived with more talent.  Let's see how EWill turns out next year.  I believe that he has the most, by far, undeveloped talent on the team.  I predict that EWill will surprise us next year.

No, I don't think it's harsh.....true freshmen under Buzz have not done much of anything while the more mature kids thrive.   It seems you agree "I do agree that we don't quite yet know how Buzz is at developiong talent"  ....let's see what happens with Blue, Jones, Smith, and Newbill as freshmen.

wiscoave

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 01:34:28 PM »
yada yada yada

I'll defer my opinion until I see them play and see the rosters of all the other BE teams next year and how they play. Everyone thought UConn would be tough this year. Everyone thought Cuse would take a year to re-load. Didnt happen.

And UNC proved you can have all the talent in the world and still suck.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 01:35:08 PM »
No, I don't think it's harsh.....true freshmen under Buzz have not done much of anything while the more mature kids thrive.   It seems you agree "I do agree that we don't quite yet know how Buzz is at developiong talent"  ....let's see what happens with Blue, Jones, Smith, and Newbill as freshmen.
Not being critical of your post, but probably the original article regarding Buzz's ability to develop freshman players, vs. Junior College players.  I think that is a ridiculous distinction to make.  A coach can either get the most out of his talent or he can't.  Jimmy Butler has improved leaps and bounds this year.  I'm not sure Dwight Buycks has shown a lot of improvement.  DJO was pretty good coming here, and appears to be getting better.  To say Buzz isn't as effective developing freshman - when our sample size is basically Maymon, Williams, and Junior Cadougan - all of whom have been in D-1 basketball for less than 1 year (more like 7 months) is kind of ridiculous.  Erik Wiliams has shown flashes of getting better, Maymon was starting to show signs before he transfered, etc.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 02:38:33 PM by Ners »
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 01:38:44 PM »
Not being critical of your post, but probably the original article regarding Buzz's ability to develop freshman players, vs. Junior College players.  I think that is a ridiculous distinction to make.  A coach can either get the most out of his talent or he can't.  Jimmy Butler has improved leaps and bounds this year.  I'm not sure Dwight Buycks has shown a lot of improvement.  DJO was pretty good coming here, and appears to be getting better.  To say Buzz isn't as effective developing freshman - when our sample size is basically Maymon, Williams, and Otule, and Junior Cadougan - all of whom have been in D-1 basketball for less than 1 year (more like 7 months) is kind of ridiculous.  Erik Wiliams has shown flashes of getting better, Maymon was starting to show signs before he transfered, etc.

Fair point, thanks. I should have bracketed my comments specifically around the incoming freshmen's ability to contribute early in their careers rather than implying they would not develop.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 03:15:46 PM »

While it may be harsh...it's accurate.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 03:36:05 PM »
No, I don't think it's harsh.....true freshmen under Buzz have not done much of anything while the more mature kids thrive.   It seems you agree "I do agree that we don't quite yet know how Buzz is at developiong talent"  ....let's see what happens with Blue, Jones, Smith, and Newbill as freshmen.

Awfully small sample size for that thought, especially considering two of his true frosh suffered 3/4 season ending injuries (Otule/Cadougan) and one of them (Maymon) never got to second base during his freshman season.

feedback