collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Good set of golf clubs for a beginner  (Read 12414 times)

jmayer1

• All American
Re: Good set of golf clubs for a beginner
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2010, 10:23:59 AM »
Agree pretty much 100% with MUBaller and BMA.  Get what you like the looks of when you stand over it.  You can get a lot of really nice clubs used that haven't been played much by CEO types at the typical golfsmith or golf galaxy.  Make sure to get the right shaft on your driver (or hybrid/fairway woods if they are graphite shafts as well).  I would also agree with those guys and recommend replacing some of the longer irons (3, 4) with a hyrbrid and look for a putter you really like to setup of.

The one thing I would disagree with MUBaller is not getting a sand wedge.  I don't think a beginner needs to have a club with 58+ degrees of loft (generally referred to as a lob wedge), but having a sand wedge with a loft of 54-58 degrees will make getting the ball in the air of pitches from 25-50 yards a little easier (however, most beginners should try to chip and run a majority of their greenside shots (25 yards and in) as they are easier to control).  However, that's just my opinion and obviously different golfers & teacher have different approaches/ideas.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2010, 08:30:07 PM »
Listen to BMA.

Get regular shafts.

Make sure you like the LOOK of the club.  When you're holding that club in your hands, you have to be confident that you can hit the ball with it.  You should be able to say to yourself, "Yeah, I can swing this club and get that stupid little white ball up in the air!"

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2010, 09:24:37 PM »
I made the mistake of going to get fitted, thinking I was better than I was.  Ended up with Ping i2 blades with stiff shafts about 1/2 inch longer.  Absolutely horrible.  I have played Wilson, Titleist, Taylor Made, and Ping.  I am 6'1" and have a relatively consistent swing now.  I then went to Golf Galaxy and bought a set off the rack and they are fine. 

My only thought for you is that the heel?/blade should be a little wider in your first set.  This will offer forgiveness on your shots and get you out of the rough a little better.  Also, as someone said don't buy the same company for every club with iron covers, etc.  I say don't go one further, don't buy a name brand bag with your name brand clubs.  I have a crappy old Datek bag, works fine.

My golf knowledge is limited, so I am sure my thoughts are off in some areas.  This is just personal experience.

Last bit of wisdom...As someone once told Lou Holtz after he hit a bad shot and cursed up a blue streak, "you're not good enough to get mad."  Enjoy yourself, it makes golf so much more fun.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2010, 09:27:16 PM »
Oh, and if you buy used, which if have done for certain clubs, get them re-gripped.  To me the grip is very important.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2010, 09:33:48 PM »
Oh, and if you buy used, which if have done for certain clubs, get them re-gripped.  To me the grip is very important.

Good idea since you don't want to share the same grips with the previous owner who probably picked his nose and ass on the golf course.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 09:37:48 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2010, 09:36:26 PM »

Good idea as you don't want to accidentally fling a club toward the clubhouse and hit someone trying to enjoy a sandwich when you miss a putt (unless you have a caddy to blame it on).