[Today at 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:09:20 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by tower912
[Today at 02:42:24 PM]

Best case scenarios by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:41:30 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Getting Abused Hugely in the Paint  (Read 7216 times)

chapman

• All American
Re: Getting Abused Hugely in the Paint
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2010, 03:18:11 PM »
Great. I hope so.
What does that have to do with your griping?

All the film study in the world isn't going to change their most glaring mistake - being small.
I thought it was obvious to everyone since November that lack of size (and therefore interior defense and rebounding) was going to be an issue this year. If anything, it's become even more of an issue since. It's seems, to me at least, futile (at best) and ridiculous (at worse) to complain about this 3+ months into the season. It's not like MU's interior deficienies are a new revelation.

Anyhow, I guess I'm more apt to be happy about how these guys have overcome their physical limitations to be a very competitve group of overacheivers than I am to p*ss and moan about something we all knew would be the case many months ago.
Po-tay-to po-tah-to.

It's fine if they're UConn.  What I didn't expect three months or three hours ago was to get obliterated inside for a good chunk of the game against a team that really can't expose our size issue because they aren't that much bigger.  Talented, yes, but six inches taller, no.  Buzz alluded to an adjustment or two to the positioning of Butler and Hayward that was made defensively to deny them inside and it seemed to help late in the game.  We've played much better inside even against bigger teams than much of this game so most of the issues are probably coachable, but considering how good we are/can be I wouldn't mind sacrificing a year at this point to add Otule's size to hopefully do something about giving up several offensive rebounds in a row to players that weren't that much bigger.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2010, 03:59:56 PM »
They may not be much taller, but they are much wider bodies and you may not know that PC is the #1 Offensive Reb. team in the nation, I believe.  So, you should not be surprised or dismayed by the paint differential.  You wanna' gripe, our first half TO's hurt us a lot.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2010, 04:13:35 PM »
That was by far the most dominated MU has been this year on the O-Glass.  I was not aware PC was the number 1 rebounding team in the Big East as someone pointed out - or the best Offensive Rebounding team in the country?  While it was frustrating for sure, somehow these guys managed to fight through and gut out a tough win.  LOVE THIS TEAM..so fun to watch.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2010, 04:19:42 PM »
It's fine if they're UConn.  What I didn't expect three months or three hours ago was to get obliterated inside for a good chunk of the game against a team that really can't expose our size issue because they aren't that much bigger.  Talented, yes, but six inches taller, no.  

Six inches taller? No.
But bigger at every position.
Their starting five: 6-5, 190; 6-6, 230; 6-8, 228; 5-10, 170; 6-4, 205.
MU's starting five: 6-2, 200; 6-6, 215; 6-6, 225; 5-8, 165; 6-0, 175.

I don't think anybody is suggesting MU rebounded particlulary well, especially in the first half. I was just surprised that someone's first thought after a win was to complain that a bigger and better rebounding team actually played bigger and rebounded better, particularly on their home court.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2010, 07:56:23 PM »
wow we have zero balls

you have zero.....fill in the blank!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2010, 08:15:05 PM »
Did Willie and 46-47 head to the bomb shelter?

It's well after the game now and they haven't resurfaced.  If I wasn't watching my Warriors gut out this tough win on the road against a determined enemy who viewed this as a must win game, I might have glanced up to see if the sky was falling myself from reading these posts.

This game was going to be a challenge from the time the schedule came out and the mountain got higher as we approached the tip, but the guys kept their focus and hopefully have earned all of the good things that could result.
  Seriously, gloom and doom boys, come back out and face the music.   Nobody was happy early.    Suck it up and stick by your team, instead of p!$$!ng and whining every                                  
single
freakin
post.

We are more likely to see Chico and Hayward have a love-in than you two post something positive.     WTF were your expectations for this season?    Before/After all of the injuries and the defection?   Did you expect us to win every game by shutout and Buzz suddenly be able to recruit nothing but 5 star bigs?   Here is a newsflash.   We are not going to win the the national championship this year.   They could still play their butts off and end up in the NIT.  The team is going to continue to play with maximum effort.    They are going to continue to represent MU with class and panache.     Buzz is going to continue to work his a$$ off.   WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT?!?!?    Can you possibly ask for better effort or more entertainng basketball?     Pathetic.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 08:17:09 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

feedback