[Today at 02:25:52 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: You dont need top recruits to build a winner.  (Read 6286 times)

wiscoave

You dont need top recruits to build a winner.
« on: February 05, 2010, 01:25:45 PM »
Came across this interesting article while searching for successful teams that dont have a bunch of McD All-Americans.

http://blog.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/2010/02/underrated_unheralded_recruits.html

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: You dont need top recruits to build a winner.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 01:34:39 PM »
Came across this interesting article while searching for successful teams that dont have a bunch of McD All-Americans.

http://blog.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/2010/02/underrated_unheralded_recruits.html

In today's day and age with 1 and done players, I think it's truer than ever.  Ask UCLA right now as they've been decimated by players leaving early.  Of course, they'll be back again next year but there is something to be said about continuity with 3 star and 4 star guys.  I know some will disagree with that.  Of course, I would love 5 star players, it's the programs with multiple 5 star players that get killed with early defects.

A good problem to have?  Maybe...if you don't mind going through constant turnover.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 01:49:26 PM »
In today's day and age with 1 and done players, I think it's truer than ever.  Ask UCLA right now as they've been decimated by players leaving early.  Of course, they'll be back again next year but there is something to be said about continuity with 3 star and 4 star guys.  I know some will disagree with that.  Of course, I would love 5 star players, it's the programs with multiple 5 star players that get killed with early defects.

A good problem to have?  Maybe...if you don't mind going through constant turnover.
Yes, being star recruits causes some players to leave early. So does 3 straight final 4s. If MU goes to 3 straight final 4s, you will see a lot of our players leaving early regardless of ratings.

wiscoave

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 01:55:09 PM »
I dont recall the DeShontey Riley guy. He would be playing HUGE minutes this year instead of sitting on their bench.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 02:02:59 PM »
i dont think anyone has ever rationally said you need 5 star recruits to play at the very highest of levels, i know i have posted on and read about ever recruiting post on here since it opened.  And i am in total agreement that a group of veteran 4 star with some 3 star type kids can get it done.

I think the perfect example of that is Marquette back in 1994. We had some 4 star kids in McIlvaine, Key and Logterman along with miller who was a 3 but had been very higly rated earlier in his career.  And we had some very solid players backing them up.  the key was they were juniors and seniors, we were playing a kentucky team with a ton of talent but they were extremly young. 

Wisocnsin is another good example...people say they win without any talent....I would not go that far Leuer, bohannon, hughes, Wilson, nankivil, and another player or two were all 4 star recruits and they are now veterans.

Where teams getinto trouble al mu in 2004 and 2005 if when they simple do not have enough talent a roster laden with 1,2, and 3 star players carried by a couple 4 stars will not get it done, this year is another example of that but we are thankfully greatly bouyed by some transfers that are ready to play.   

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 02:03:51 PM »
I dont recall the DeShontey Riley guy. He would be playing HUGE minutes this year instead of sitting on their bench.

i am not so sure deshonte would be gatting any more minutes than Maymon or Ewill are/were getting.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 02:06:14 PM »

He was quite the topic of discussion around these parts when we were recruiting him.  People that saw him play questioned is work ethic and intensity. Georgetown wasnt all that disappointed when he de-committed.  Many predict that he will eventually be patrolling the lane at University of Detroit or Central Michigan.

We were also in the running for Mookie Jones.

wiscoave

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 02:09:20 PM »
Mookie as well? So these guys just go to Syracuse to sit on their bench for one, two, three years? That Mookie guy had quite the credentials coming out of high school. What was his logic for turning down MU?

wiscoave

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 02:19:10 PM »
i am not so sure deshonte would be gatting any more minutes than Maymon or Ewill are/were getting.

But he's a true 7 footer and not necessarily "underweight."

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 02:22:08 PM »
I thought this was going to be a thread about Bo Ryan.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 02:27:20 PM »
But he's a true 7 footer and not necessarily "underweight."

A 6'6" guy who hustles his ass off is much more valuable than a lazy 7 footer.

wiscoave

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2010, 02:36:41 PM »

A 6'6" guy who hustles his ass off is much more valuable than a lazy 7 footer.

Not going to argue with you on that one. HOWEVER, I would take this Riley clown in a heartbeat over our 7'2" bag of bones that will prob develop nicely into an 11th man.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2010, 03:00:11 PM »
Not going to argue with you on that one. HOWEVER, I would take this Riley clown in a heartbeat over our 7'2" bag of bones that will prob develop nicely into an 11th man.

Jury's still out on that.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2010, 03:14:23 PM »
Mookie as well? So these guys just go to Syracuse to sit on their bench for one, two, three years? That Mookie guy had quite the credentials coming out of high school. What was his logic for turning down MU?

UHHHH YES , syracuse is one of the premier BBall programs in the country.  Some might say even more prestigous than Indiana, Indiana.  Long line of great players, pros, and have been a destination program for East coast recruits for a long time.  Consistantly one of THE premiere programs in the BE and the country. 

wiscoave

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2010, 03:28:18 PM »

UHHHH YES , syracuse is one of the premier BBall programs in the country.  Some might say even more prestigous than Indiana, Indiana.  Long line of great players, pros, and have been a destination program for East coast recruits for a long time.  Consistantly one of THE premiere programs in the BE and the country. 

Hahaha.. I understand all of that. But I guess if I were a top recruit, I would want to play at least by my sophomore year. He is a soph and I dont think he sniffs the court. Plus, there is no telling how good the talent will be behind you so even when you think its your turn, some stud recruit leapfrogs you. Plus, doesnt boeheim only play something like 7 guys every game? If you arent one of the best there, you can get squeezed out easily.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2010, 04:35:41 PM »
I'd be more impressed if this story was about Butler or Xavier. 

But Syracuse?  Pffft. Boeheim's at the point where he can recruit whoever he wants because he knows they'll work well in his zone D, and has been FOR YEARS. 
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2010, 04:54:41 PM »
Hahaha.. I understand all of that. But I guess if I were a top recruit, I would want to play at least by my sophomore year. He is a soph and I dont think he sniffs the court. Plus, there is no telling how good the talent will be behind you so even when you think its your turn, some stud recruit leapfrogs you. Plus, doesnt boeheim only play something like 7 guys every game? If you arent one of the best there, you can get squeezed out easily.

Hes a redshirt freshman...had hip surgery last year. 

Hes from Peekskill, NY and was mainly looking at area schools such as Syracuse, Rutgers, and St. Johns. He also had MU and DePaul on his list.

Recruiting is different for every player. Nobody cares about what you would do if you were a top recruit.

karavotsos

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2010, 10:32:29 PM »
My favorite thing about that article is that watching Syracuse I thought that both Harris and Devendorf made Syracuse worse last year.  Obviously, Cuse has Johnson this year, but they also have addition by subtraction.  I thought one of the reasons for the loss to OK in the tournament was Harris played major minutes over Ongenaut, and he felt compelled to jack up stupid shots.  Its nice to see an article (not about Wisconsin or Bo Ryan) supporting the conclusion that you don't need to have top 5 recruiting success to have top 5 success--and not just through hard work but also through the basketball talent and intelligence to put you there.

TheDawson

• Walk-On
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2010, 11:03:50 PM »
Dee Brown was the only McDonalds AA on the Illinois final four team

bma725

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2010, 11:25:31 PM »
While I don't disagree with the point, the coach definitely misspoke when he said they didn't have heralded Top 100 guys.  They have 5 guys that were consensus Top 85 players coming out of high school.  Scoop Jardine and Mookie Jones were consensus Top 50 players.  Jackson and Joseph came in just outside the Top 50, with both being #56 in their respective classes.  They may not have the Donte Greens or Eric Devendorfs of years past, but they still have heralded recruits.