Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: West Virginia fans  (Read 9075 times)

New Era Warriors

• Starter
West Virginia fans
« on: February 03, 2010, 09:07:35 PM »
Did you guys see the replays of the WV-Pitt game? Talk about classless fans...there was an object thrown on the court early in the game and Huggins had to take the microphone and tell them to stop. Then later in the game during a timeout, a Pitt assistant coach was hit in the face by an object thrown by a fan. Unbelievable.

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: West Virginia fans
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 09:14:07 PM »
That's what hillbillies do. It's an inbred thing.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 09:14:40 PM »
Don't blame all their fans.  I think it was one guy in particular causing the havoc along with his wife/sister.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 09:18:49 PM by Jay Bee »
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 09:16:19 PM »
the apple doesn't fall far from the tree

smrunner99

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 09:17:50 PM »
There was an article about this even before the game, could not find the link but did find this

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/post/_/id/4883215/got-spirit-how-you

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 09:18:23 PM »
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

New Era Warriors

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 09:19:41 PM »
here is the link to the original article they posted about their student section...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4881299

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 09:24:46 PM »
They're not doing themselves any favors by throwing things on the court.  West virginia has enough stereotypes to fight without adding to them.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 09:36:52 PM »
Easy stereotypes, yes, but.......January, 1986, at the Mecca, UNC came to town and Michael 'Pops' Sims had the game of his young life.    We went toe to toe with the 'heels.  :D     Late in a tight game, on a completely BS phantom call, we sent their guard to the foul line.    Some morons in our student section through crap (pennies, IIRC) at the shooter at the foul line.   
What the WVU fans did tonight was completely classless.    But be careful before you start casting stones.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 09:39:25 PM »
Don't blame all their fans.  I think it was one guy in particular causing the havoc along with his wife/sister.

their fans suck, the worst in the BE. Last week Huggy had to go into the stands because they were dropping f- bombs. Administrations has lost control and it has become embarrasing for the university.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 09:47:32 PM »
Oh, yeah, how could I forget.   I happen to know that Digger had a beer spilled on him from the student section. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

New Era Warriors

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2010, 09:49:32 PM »
Oh, yeah, how could I forget.   I happen to know that Digger had a beer spilled on him from the student section. 

Digger probably deserved it.

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2010, 09:54:17 PM »
Didn't you see The Express starring Dennis Quaid?  Everyone from West Virginia is covered in soot and a blind drunk, racist!  Seriously.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2010, 10:24:18 PM »
I think it was one guy in particular causing the havoc along with his wife/sister.

she was probably both
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2010, 10:36:13 PM »
I remember in January 1980 at the end of the snowstorm game with ND my friend got mad about a gloating ND fan so he went and threw a beer on the guy.  Got arrested for it, but he ended up catching up with us at the Gym later.  Happy ending.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2010, 11:10:40 PM »
I'd actually take West Virginia fans over Pitt fans.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2010, 11:21:25 PM »
she was probably both

i think that was the joke

tower912

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2010, 05:03:26 AM »
I remember in January 1980 at the end of the snowstorm game with ND my friend got mad about a gloating ND fan so he went and threw a beer on the guy.  Got arrested for it, but he ended up catching up with us at the Gym later.  Happy ending.

What kind of happy ending?

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2010, 07:30:54 AM »
I'd actually take West Virginia fans over Pitt fans.

Not sure if you're talking about internet fans or experience at a game.  I know that some of the Pitt fans on the board are not the best, but when I went to the Pitt game their fans were really good.  My daughter and I had a great time and I talked with a lot of their fans about the teams, the Big East, etc.  It was a great experience and I thought their fans were some of the best that I've ever encountered at a road game.  Other people might have had different experiences, but I'm not going to judge a school's fans based upon internet message boards.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2010, 08:09:03 AM »

Throwing objects at opposing players and coaches crosses the line because it can lead to serious injury or death depending on what the object is.  The league should warn WVU that one more incident like that will lead to a forfeiture of the game in which the incident happens and all further games played at WVU will need to be played in essentially an empty stadium for the remainder of the season, i.e., no fans, just players, coaches, and media. 

wyoMUfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2010, 08:10:50 AM »
I think the recent media attention has just spurred them on, until something serious is done they will keep it up.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2010, 08:31:39 AM »
My first job after graduation took me to a few dozen college and university campuses across the nation, and I've had the opportunity to work with students from many more.  The kids from WVU were easily one of the three worst groups of students I've ever encountered.  Now maybe I just had a bad sample of their entire population, but after seeing things like their latest antics on a recurring basis, perhaps the small number of "elitist rednecks" with whom I dealt were truly indicative of the greater student body.

West Virginia University: Where IZOD meets NASCAR.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

ceh

• Starter
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2010, 09:27:14 AM »
My only experience with WVU fans have been at the Big East Tournament, and they were nothing but great fans and enjoyable to talk with. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2010, 10:37:10 AM »
My first job after graduation took me to a few dozen college and university campuses across the nation, and I've had the opportunity to work with students from many more.  The kids from WVU were easily one of the three worst groups of students I've ever encountered.  Now maybe I just had a bad sample of their entire population, but after seeing things like their latest antics on a recurring basis, perhaps the small number of "elitist rednecks" with whom I dealt were truly indicative of the greater student body.

West Virginia University: Where IZOD meets NASCAR.

Its alot of kids from New Jersey mixed with "rednecks" you speak of, it certainly is interesting.  My one visit there was highlighted by us not being able to go to the bar we had planned as it was shut down by a DEA drug raid earlier in the night.  It was a front for coke running before the bar opened, yeesh.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2010, 10:55:21 AM »
Would you rather make a trip to Pittsburgh or Morgantown?  I know they're very similar drives and both great places to go see a game.  but as far as having stuff to do and going out which would you recomend.  I know Morgantown is a big party town and is always in rankings for party schools and I've heard Pittsburgh is a good time and turning into a really nice town.  Any thoughts for a future road trip?