[June 10, 2024, 10:45:56 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[June 10, 2024, 06:17:14 PM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by Uncle Rico
[June 10, 2024, 05:59:32 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 10, 2024, 03:28:57 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: New 2010 Warrior - 6'6" Jae Crowder  (Read 47878 times)

murambler

• Walk-On
Re: Make way for an undersized PF: Crowder just committed
« Reply #75 on: February 03, 2010, 02:18:03 PM »
For all those quipping about his size, everyone would have been doing backflips if we had signed Jayvaugn Pinkston (6-6 and 220 according to Scout), who is "smaller" than Crowder. 

I liken this to an experienced Pinkston and I like the pick up.  Good work, Buzz, and welcome to MU Mr. Crowder.

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #76 on: February 03, 2010, 02:19:30 PM »
For all those quipping about his size, everyone would have been doing backflips if we had signed Jayvaugn Pinkston (6-6 and 220 according to Scout), who is "smaller" than Crowder. 

I liken this to an experienced Pinkston and I like the pick up.  Good work, Buzz, and welcome to MU Mr. Crowder.

How tall was (is) Charles Barkley, the round mound of rebound?  6'5" I believe....   ;)
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #77 on: February 03, 2010, 02:20:15 PM »

In fairness, Pinkston is a McDonalds AA and probably the best player in New York City.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #78 on: February 03, 2010, 02:41:01 PM »
I like the Crowder commit, and by itself, it looks great.  Newbill is the one that makes me scratch my head a little.  But whatever, that's why Buzz gets paid the big bucks.  If we're arguing over the priority of having a 6th guard or a 3rd post project on the bench, then it really isn't that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things.

If the order of these two announcements was reversed, with Crowder first, I think everyone would have loved the Crowder commit and the reaction to Newbill would have been harsher.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #79 on: February 03, 2010, 02:50:34 PM »
He's player of the year for his conference.  

Team height rests on the centers we have being able to contribute.

5 - 6'10 7'2
3/4 - 6'6 6'7 6'6 6'6 6'6
2 - 6'2 6'3
1 - 6'1 6'2 6'0

That really isn't a short of a team.  

Exactly - no matter what we do, seeing as we have Otule and Mbao sidelined, we're getting taller next year by default. If those two are absent at any point next year, it's no different than what we're contending with now. Plus we're getting taller in the sense that we'll lose Cubes and Acker, but replace them with players at least 2 inches taller. We have a lot of guys in the 6'3"-6'6" range (Blue, Newbill, Jones, Crowder, Fulce, Butler, Williams). We have the length and depth in the backcourt and SF positions to play aggressive defense and fast, drive-and-dish offense.

murambler

• Walk-On
« Reply #80 on: February 03, 2010, 02:56:50 PM »
In fairness, Pinkston is a McDonalds AA and probably the best player in New York City.
Most arguments have centered on Crowder's size or lack thereof.  The Pinkston reference merely was used to show how effective a shorter but huskier player can be in the post.  Just because you're small doesn't mean you don't have a game.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #81 on: February 03, 2010, 03:04:19 PM »
Next year's team has the potential to be very up tempo and hopefully dunky.  

awesome post

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #82 on: February 03, 2010, 03:12:41 PM »
Renaldo Balkman was the reason it went down to the wire in the finals against SC in the Great Alaskan Shootout.  If he can play like Renaldo look out!

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #83 on: February 03, 2010, 03:26:36 PM »
So, it's arbitrary how I assigned it, but here is what is kind of happening.

Crowder replaces JMay
Jones replaces Lazar
Blue replaces Coobs
Smith replaces Acker
Newbill replaces Roseboro

Newbill replaces Roseboro is the MU dilemma.  Do you take a project big or a talented guard?  It sounds like Buzz would rather have a Newbill, so hopefully he is right.

Calling Roseboro a project is a HUGE understatement. He's at St. Bonaventure now, averaging 9.2 mins a game without any starts. Though if you think we could use his 1.6ppg...

Buzz must have some hope for our Big men if he sticks to getting Forwards and Guards. I think there is a lot of potential in this team. A lot of speed and flash.

I just hope Buzz can keep all these players happy with good minutes and all the players enjoy Milwaukee enough to want to stay around.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #84 on: February 03, 2010, 04:00:21 PM »
I think everyone would be a lot more stoked if Jae was 2 inches taller as he would have been a perfect 4 but unfortunately, those type of players go to big time programs.  What has me happy with this signing is the following from Rosiak's article:

"He's so versatile," said Mark Adams, Crowder's coach at Howard. "He can do a lot of things, and I think he can play multiple positions at the Division I level. He's 6-6, got a large frame, rebounds extremely well and has a knack for knowing where the basketball is.

He already is 230lbs and has a large frame, so while undersized height wise, he does seem to have the intangibles to overcome 2 inches and become a very productive player next year which is what Buzz was looking for.  A player that contributes next year in the Big East.  I don't know if there was anyone else out there willing to come here that fits Buzz criteria of contributing next year. 

Added height on the perimeter and good pressure defense and we can get away with a 6'6" pf. 

seakm4

• Team Captain
« Reply #85 on: February 03, 2010, 04:09:29 PM »
What were Joe Fulce's stats while he was JUCO?

bma725

• All American
« Reply #86 on: February 03, 2010, 04:16:23 PM »
What were Joe Fulce's stats while he was JUCO?

16 Points and 13 Rebounds per game.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #87 on: February 03, 2010, 04:25:34 PM »

AMybe he is but he just got owned by kadeem Jack last week  and until he signed with villanova his ranking was around 75.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #88 on: February 03, 2010, 04:32:59 PM »
16 Points and 13 Rebounds per game.

Before anyone starts to project Crowder into a Fulce-like contribution due to their similar height/weight - let's realize Joe has probably been somewhat derailed by his 2 knee surgeries which have robbed him of a lot of his explosiveness.  Crowder with some time in the MU strength program could easily add 15 pounds and be a 6'7", 245lbs player with a good nose for the ball and inside out game.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #89 on: February 03, 2010, 04:35:23 PM »
This is a phenomenal signing.  17 and 10 last year en route to 2nd team All-American.  Pre-season 1st team All-American this year and looks to achieve it.  To get a guy like this......this late is really nice.  We may be seeing Jimmy play some 5 next year,  but I think that is a good thing.  He is the mismatch.

Boone

• All American
« Reply #90 on: February 03, 2010, 04:35:55 PM »
Joe's also very thin and just not strong enough to do much damage in the paint.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #91 on: February 03, 2010, 04:37:03 PM »
and until he signed with villanova his ranking was around 75.

Wrong. 

Pinkston's consensus ranking as of September 27th was 44th in the country, with a high of 21 and one service not ranking him.  He didn't commit to Villanova until December 3rd, and most services haven't even updated their rankings since then.  The only one that has is ESPN which moved him from unranked to #84. 

He was already a McD's candidate before he announced to Villanova.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #92 on: February 03, 2010, 04:37:13 PM »
Before anyone starts to project Crowder into a Fulce-like contribution due to their similar height/weight - let's realize Joe has probably been somewhat derailed by his 2 knee surgeries which have robbed him of a lot of his explosiveness.  Crowder with some time in the MU strength program could easily add 15 pounds and be a 6'7", 245lbs player with a good nose for the ball and inside out game.

wasn't he just 215? I can't see a player gaining 15 pounds in back to back years and while still maintaining his quickness and shot, that's a lot to put on. I don't like trying to shape a player into something he isn't. He is more of an energy hustle guy, not a big bruiser. IMHO from what I have read.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #93 on: February 03, 2010, 04:47:15 PM »
So, is this dude a dribble guy?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #94 on: February 03, 2010, 05:03:43 PM »
Crowder with some time in the MU strength program could easily add 15 pounds and be a 6'7", 245lbs player with a good nose for the ball and inside out game.

We can make him taller too!?!  Well heck, why didn't we just do that with Acker?!?

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #95 on: February 03, 2010, 10:08:33 PM »
Unpack The Rack!   ;)
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #96 on: February 03, 2010, 10:47:35 PM »
Glad to have him, I'm excited for our newcomers next year.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #97 on: February 03, 2010, 10:53:02 PM »
Not much more to be said. Great signing. For all those complaining, who else do we get?

The guy's big, ready for big east ball, and will do just fine at the 3/4 with Mbao and Otule at center. We will be just fine next year, and again, really, really athletic.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #98 on: February 03, 2010, 11:02:41 PM »
Not much more to be said. Great signing. For all those complaining, who else do we get?

The guy's big, ready for big east ball, and will do just fine at the 3/4 with Mbao and Otule at center. We will be just fine next year, and again, really, really athletic.

Well, I am going to complain..ironically.  The previous regime was capable of landing players like Niv Berkowitz at this juncture. 
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #99 on: February 03, 2010, 11:10:21 PM »
Look at the time and circumstances surrounding my signing. This pales in comparison. Also, look at the position. Tom was grasping at straws when he brought me on.

feedback