[Today at 12:47:11 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MuMark
[Today at 11:42:11 AM]

2025 Bracketology by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 09:46:57 AM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by MUbiz
[Today at 08:06:43 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Crowd  (Read 6181 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Crowd
« on: January 27, 2010, 01:43:04 AM »
For those that went, what was it like.  On camera, a ton of empty seats behind the benches yet 16,793 was announced.  I know it's not bodies in the building, I'm just curious how many people actually showed up.

New Era Warriors

• Starter
Re: Crowd
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 01:56:46 AM »
For the most part, the lower bowl was full. It was a quieter crowd because we were blowing them out. The lower bowl student section was full and there were some students sitting in the upper deck as well. I would guess there was closer to 13,000-14,000 people there. Overall, it was a pretty good crowd for a Tuesday night game vs. Rutgers. 

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 02:04:58 AM »
There's no way there were 14,000 people at the game.  Students probably numbered little less than a 1,000, there were plenty of empty seats in their area in the lower bowl.  I sit in the upper deck several rows from the top, and most of the seats in front of us that are usually filled were empty.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 07:49:13 AM »
13-14k is probably a bit high .. but I'd only knock it down a bit to 12-13k.

The lower bowl was 97% full .. upper deck had its pockets.

One thing I did note was that the end-zone upper deck, those $99 season tickets?  That end-zone was actually pretty full.    No comparison between now and years' past, when that section would have had tumble-weeds blowing around.

The crowd was pretty tame, just because we'd gotten a big lead so quickly .. I think the biggest cheer (jeer) was when DJO went for a monster dunk and super-missed.

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 08:08:36 AM »
Game started pretty full but emptied out throughout the second half.  I noticed about half the crowd that started the game was gone later in the second half.  If you saw a second half shot of the crowd it could have looked like a ghost town.
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 08:26:04 AM »
There were less people there than announced.

Obviously they go by tickets sold, not people in attendance.

EDIT: My original post was a little silly. I don't want to re-hash this debate.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 09:00:18 AM by 2002mualum »

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 08:32:16 AM »
There were less people there than announced.

Obviously they go by tickets sold, not people in attendance.

Where is all of the outrage? I remember a thread about this from a couple years back where people seemed pretty pissed that MU was inflating numbers.

Sometimes I think you just go looking for arguments...
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 08:35:30 AM »
13-14k is probably a bit high .. but I'd only knock it down a bit to 12-13k.

The lower bowl was 97% full .. upper deck had its pockets.

One thing I did note was that the end-zone upper deck, those $99 season tickets?  That end-zone was actually pretty full.    No comparison between now and years' past, when that section would have had tumble-weeds blowing around.

The crowd was pretty tame, just because we'd gotten a big lead so quickly .. I think the biggest cheer (jeer) was when DJO went for a monster dunk and super-missed.

I know it would be a serious cut into revenue (and therefore not a great idea), but maybe they should consider wrapping the $99 section around the corners, at least in the upper half of those sections where season tickets are not purchased.  409-412 are the only sections that have been consistently filled all year - and many of whom I've met up there aren't even MU alums, parents, etc.  Just local Milwaukeeans who want to see good basketball.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 08:40:38 AM »
Edit: I already made it clear how I felt back in May.

No need to keep saying it.

Mods, feel free to delete.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 09:07:04 AM by 2002mualum »

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 08:59:32 AM »
I'll respond.

MU, and all events, sporting or not, counts tickets sold, not actual attendance / butts in seats.

There's no "outrage" over that, except to say, the numbers are very very different.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2010, 09:05:41 AM »
I'll respond.

MU, and all events, sporting or not, counts tickets sold, not actual attendance / butts in seats.

There's no "outrage" over that, except to say, the numbers are very very different.

HAHA... nice, Topper! This is actually pretty funny. We've had this same debate before!

I was actually just going back to edit/delete my posts in this thread (they were stupid).

I was having Deja Vu, and a quick search confirmed it.

I'm editing my posts here as there is no need for us to rehash this topic.

If anybody cares, here is the old thread about attendance, I made the same comments back in May, which I think is cool (I'm consistent), but also somewhat alarming (I need new material).

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=14787.0
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 09:07:29 AM by 2002mualum »

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2010, 09:14:40 AM »
That is indeed amusing.  You are an outrage-monger!

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2010, 09:34:51 AM »
That is indeed amusing.  You are an outrage-monger!

Yea, I need a thesaurus.

Or maybe we could have a "retro thread of the day" and rehash old stuff that has already been extensively debated.

-Attendance
-Maurice Acker
-etc. etc.

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2010, 09:36:03 AM »
Does Murff/JG still post here?  If so, we may want to lock this thread down now  ;)
The General has taken on a new command.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2010, 09:37:47 AM »
Student turnout was very poor for the game, especially being only one weeek into the semester.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2010, 09:46:36 AM »
Lower level was primarily full.  Student section was filled in the lower bowl but empty up top.  I believe the student section is where you get the difference between actual attendance and reported attendance.  Very disappointed with the student section last night.  First week back, I would have thought there would have been more.  Granted it wasn't horrendous, I just thought there would have been a lot more.  Maybe our record has something to do with it. 

mugoose

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2010, 11:46:20 AM »
student section was a joke.

the place haqd maybe 10k people. you people who think they had more are nuts.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2010, 11:50:36 AM »
Translation for chicos post....The crowds were better when crean was the coach.

Subtle paasive agressive digs just keep coming from the guy does his wife hate him that much?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2010, 11:52:51 AM »
Let it go. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2010, 11:59:27 AM »
Translation for chicos post....The crowds were better when crean was the coach.

Subtle paasive agressive digs just keep coming from the guy does his wife hate him that much?

LOL...Seriously? Where do you come up with this stuff? Get off Chicos nuts already.....It's getting old.  ::)

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2010, 12:43:26 PM »
I did notice that the sections in the upper deck with those cheap season tickets had lots of people in them.
I would put my estimate at maybe 11,000, but I really think it was less.  There were lots of spaces in the lower bowl even in the student section, and as I stated earlier, in front of me ( and I sit in row S) there was tons of room, and normally those rows are full of people, as I think lots of us with 5-game plans sit around there.

GregClausenForever

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2010, 12:50:55 PM »
My wife and I were commenting on the number of weekday home games this year.  I don't feel like looking it up, but I feel like I'm going to more weekday games than in past years.

Anyways, I don't blame the students.  Weekdays aren't easy for working folks and students alike, especially when you wholly expect your team to trounce the visitors.

The place will be a lot more full for the remaining weekday games: Pitt, Louisville, and even DePaul. 

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2010, 01:16:40 PM »
Weekend games were slim pickings this year.  Only a handful in comparison to years' past.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2010, 01:34:40 PM »
student section was a joke.

the place haqd maybe 10k people. you people who think they had more are nuts.
The lower bowl was full with a good amount of folks scattered around upstairs.  Probably about 13,000 in the stands.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2010, 04:47:14 PM »
One generally thinks it's a bigger crowd than it actually is.  On many occasions I have had to do a count at Sunday Mass, and I guarantee you that our estimate is always bigger than the actual count. 
We have a five-game package this year, and we took the one with the Villanova game as we ordered it before the actual dates came out.  Three of our games are weeknight games, and the Villanova one was on January 2, during the holidays.  It's been a real struggle, since some of us come up from Chicago.  Next year we are going to wait until the actual schedule comes out and then decide whether to do individual games or a mini-plan again.
And what's with the DePaul game starting at 6?  Makes it difficult if people are coming from work.

feedback