[Today at 07:24:54 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Reggie Smith Revisited  (Read 7510 times)

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
Reggie Smith Revisited
« on: January 24, 2010, 10:25:21 PM »
This has been posted before,  but I think we can use something uplifting.  The guy has world-class athleticism......he isn't a great player right now, so keep those expectations low for now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGQCLxVenw4

romey

• All American
Re: Reggie Smith Revisited
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 10:39:22 PM »
I want to ask a question at the risk of sounding like an old school alum (which I am).  This video shows Reggie has through-the-roof athleticism, but can he shoot, handle the ball or play defense?  Again, I understand this video was made to highlight the hops, so I'm just asking.  Has anyone on this board seen him play?

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 10:45:02 PM »
I've only seen clips,  but it looks like his shot needs work.  It seems like he "pushes" his shot,  rather than "flicking" it......in other words,  the rotation doesn't look very good.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 10:57:13 PM »
Buzz will land a big. He's just had some bad luck or we wouldn't be discussing it

mviale

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 11:24:17 PM »
why take jump shots, when you can take it to the hole?
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 11:38:01 PM »
Fun to watch - thanx for the post.  :)

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 11:46:08 PM »
ehhh.... wow.  As long as he is a hard worker and coachable, at the very least he will be productive.  You can't teach/train that kind of athletism. 
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 12:13:10 AM »
As long as he is a hard worker and coachable
It sounds like he is,  but you never know. I hope he realizes that minutes are gained from work on the defensive end.  He clearly has the athleticism to become a lockdown defender.

CrazyEcho

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 10:40:55 AM »
I'm mostly excited to see him in the dunk contest at midnight madness.  That'll be sick.

Fullodds

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 10:54:34 AM »
Reggie has plenty of skills to go with his athleticism. 

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2010, 01:00:39 PM »
Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought when he verbaled with us, there was excitement because he had a good shot and even a 3. 

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2010, 01:03:40 PM »
I think he's going to be our best recruit.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2010, 01:13:15 PM »
I think he's going to be our best recruit.

Based on what?

reinko

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2010, 01:34:55 PM »
Based on what?

The AND1 mixtape referenced at the top of this thread.

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2010, 03:37:00 PM »
http://illinoishsbasketball.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=822&Itemid=1

Nice article........

2009- January 26th- Reggie Smith and Thornton At The Top

"There is no "elite" player in the state who's stock has risen more in my eyes this season than Reggie Smith of Thornton. The 5'11 guard was always a stud and always was in the top 10 of my rankings. He was always one of the best athletes in the nation, and his talent was always undeniable. But until this year I didn't trust him. I didn't trust that he could play the point, hit the outside shot, lock up on defense, and hit the shot at the end of the game. How much one season can change things. I trust this kid so much now that if he had the ball in his hands at the end of a close game, and someone asked if I thought he would hit the shot, I would bet my girlfriend on it (she doesn't read the website :). This kid is the reason why Thornton is #1 and the state title favorite, and he is going to have a long list of high major suitors this summer if I have anything to do with it. Senior Writer Dave Spahn caught up with the man himself..."
-Dan Poneman
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2010, 03:39:01 PM »
You do realize that article is almost a year old right?

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2010, 03:40:37 PM »
http://illinoishsbasketball.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=822&Itemid=1

...and he is going to have a long list of high major suitors this summer if I have anything to do with it.
-Dan Poneman

huh?

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2010, 03:56:50 PM »

I'm ashamed to say that I do.  Now.  I was in a bit of a rush and did not realize till after posting that it is a year old.  I'm a bit embarrassed but life goes on......   ::)
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2010, 05:03:35 PM »

Still, I don't think he got worse in the past year.  So nice to read if you didn't catch it the first time around.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2010, 09:26:15 PM »
I wonder if Cadougan's injury affected his choice to sign with MU in November during the signing period.  Probably saw a lot more pt available than if all of MU's previews discussed how great of a freshman point guard MU has to replace Dom James.

radome

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2010, 08:52:21 AM »
I wonder if Cadougan's injury affected his choice to sign with MU in November during the signing period.  Probably saw a lot more pt available than if all of MU's previews discussed how great of a freshman point guard MU has to replace Dom James.
If I remember correctly, we didn't offer until the end of the signing period and he accepted quickly.  I still see your point but the speed at which he decided makes me believe that he wants to play for us regardless of Cadougan.  Gotta like that.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2010, 09:39:23 AM »
Based on what I have seen this year, Smith's minutes could come at the expense of Buycks. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

kmwtrucks

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2010, 09:55:34 AM »
I would say that is very unlickly Buycks is a Senior and Smith will be a freshman, and Buzz has been slow to put the freshman out on the court.  Plus Dwight is bigger and will be able to play the 3 more so than Smith. 

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2010, 11:03:41 AM »
What I like about all the guards we will have next year is that none of them will have to play 38 minutes a game.  Lots of guys getting between 15 and 25.  MU can play more aggressively on the perimeter to disrupt passing lanes and go for steals.  It can 3/4 press more often and will also have better odds of having a hot hand any particular game.

We truly don't know Buzz's true theory on rotations because he never has had much in the way of numbers who are reliable off the bench.

Blue, JC, RS, DB and DJO have 120 minutes to split between them--24 min a game.  Obviously the 1 isn't going to play the three, but a 1 will play a 2 at times if he is hitting the shots. 

Last year, Buzz had the big three with Acker and Butler as the only reliable options at the 1 through 3.  Acker could only play a few min at the 1 and Butler was also subbing in the 4 and 5.   Few options.

This year, Buzz has some options but Acker and Cubi are limited in what they can do.  Buycks, because he is bigger, is a spare part playing more minutes than he should.  JC will build minutes and provide some flexiblity--at the very least keep the Acker/Cubi duo off the floor at the same time.

Next years group will have more people who can create a shot, create a mismatch or replace a guy who is has foul trouble or an off night.  He can also go with four guards at times who will be able to make something happen.

Bottom Line, Buzz will have more flexibility next year at those three positions than he has ever had.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2010, 02:05:30 PM »

feedback