[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by Galway Eagle
[Today at 08:51:26 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Pittsburgh to join Big Ten?  (Read 10237 times)

NavinRJohnson

• All American
Re: Pittsburgh to join Big Ten?
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2010, 04:49:50 PM »
Sure it does, it allows them to have a championship game...Plus the revenue for that championship game is huge.

Correct. People are really over thinking this thing, as it is about 2 things, and they're both the same...football and money. Academics, Basketball, geography/distance (independent of TV markets), are not even close when it comes to making this decision, which is why this makes sense for both.

It makes sense for the Big Ten, because of the championship game, and it does also reinforce the Philadelphia market, and obviously adds Pittsburgh. There aren't many more desirable markets that are realistic possibilities...NY, LA, Chicago, Boston, etc...there just aren't teams in those markets that would make the move. Move further down the list and you start talking about teams having to leave the ACC or SEC...not gonna happen.

There are millions and millions of reason fro Pittsburgh to do it. Once they get 'vested' their TV revenues increase by 3-4 times, due to the TV contracts the Big ten has because of their football. They are simply never gonna get that kind of money out of the Big East.

Jaimie Dixon doesn't have to like it...at least not until he coaches the football team.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2010, 06:31:44 PM »

Jaimie Dixon doesn't have to like it...at least not until he coaches the football team.

I think everyone gets that...it's just an interesting part of this whole situation. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2010, 07:40:18 PM »
It makes a lot of sense for the Big Televen to go to 12 teams, though I'm not sure Pitt would be the best choice (they'd obviously prefer Notre Dame and perhaps Mizzou, but perhaps no interest from Mizzou).

What I don't get is how this helps Pitt, at least competitively. I'm sure from the standpoint of putting fannies in seats at Heinz, Ohio State, Iowa and Michigan are far more attractive than Louisville, Rutgers and South Florida.
But in the Big East, Pitt is competing for a BCS Bowl every year. In the Big Televen, they'll be competing for an Champs Sports Bowl.
On the basketball side, there's no gain either financially or competitively.

I'm sure smarter people than I (yes, there are a few) have crunched the numbers and figure there's a strong financial incentive here, but I think Pitt takes a big risk in going from a perennial contender to a perennial also-ran.

It's a valid point Pakuni.  I would attribute it to the ceiling mentality.  Pitt probably thinks that the Big Ten would allow them to raise their ceiling with recruiting in football.  It would allow them to get kids that now go to Penn State.  That's my hunch.

You're entirely accurate that the road is far easier for them in the Big East in terms of BCS berths, etc, but I suspect for the same reason Va. Tech, BC and Miami, they feel the Big East is a basketball conference first and football second....and they would be right.

Tough seeing Pitt as anything better than the 5th place Big Ten football team behind Michigan (when they get their crap together), OSU, PSU and Wisconsin.  Whereas in the Big East they will consistently be in the top 3 and always competing for the Big East championship. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2010, 08:13:10 PM »
It makes a lot of sense for the Big Televen to go to 12 teams, though I'm not sure Pitt would be the best choice (they'd obviously prefer Notre Dame and perhaps Mizzou, but perhaps no interest from Mizzou).

What I don't get is how this helps Pitt, at least competitively. I'm sure from the standpoint of putting fannies in seats at Heinz, Ohio State, Iowa and Michigan are far more attractive than Louisville, Rutgers and South Florida.
But in the Big East, Pitt is competing for a BCS Bowl every year. In the Big Televen, they'll be competing for an Champs Sports Bowl.
On the basketball side, there's no gain either financially or competitively.

I'm sure smarter people than I (yes, there are a few) have crunched the numbers and figure there's a strong financial incentive here, but I think Pitt takes a big risk in going from a perennial contender to a perennial also-ran.

It is ironic that you bring up the Champs Sports Bowl.  This is the last year for the Big Ten's tie-in to that bowl.  Next year, it goes to the second place Big East team...while the #4 Big Ten team (likely #5 team because the Big Ten generally gets two BCS bids) will go to the Gator Bowl.

The Big Ten gives Pitt more money and more exposure via football...and that will dwarf whatever they get from basketball.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2010, 09:07:16 PM »
From what I've seen/read/heard the B10 had a preference for Mizzou, but that deal is a few years away as Mizzou can't get out of their current contract without heavy financial losses.  It seems to point to the real possibility that the B10 will start a major re-shuffle nation wide...

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2010, 10:42:01 AM »
Erroneous reports such as one from sports radio host Ben Maller have surfaced that claim Pittsburgh is set to join an expanded Big Ten.

Apparently, the original source was a few student-athletes at Pitt who Tweeted about a meeting during which Big Ten expansion was brought up — or, more likely, not brought up.

Bottom line, a source at the conference reiterated to the Tribune on Monday that the Big Ten will adhere to the timetable it laid out in December — a 12- to 18-month period of analysis. The league will then determine whether it wants to expand and, if so, how many schools it will invite to the party.

Teddy Greenstein