'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Tyshawn Taylor revisited  (Read 12743 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Tyshawn Taylor revisited
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2010, 10:20:36 AM »
Should Taylor choose to transfer, which I think is highly unlikely, he won't select MU. An eastern school like Seton Hall or Rutgers would make more sense.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2010, 10:30:02 AM »
Should Taylor choose to transfer, which I think is highly unlikely, he won't select MU. An eastern school like Seton Hall or Rutgers would make more sense.
why wouldn't he pack his bags and head directly to IU to reunite with Satan (I mean Coach Crean)?

Disclaimer:  I don't think Coach Crean is Satan incarnate.  I'm only joking.  I am sorry to bring it up.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2010, 10:36:07 AM »
I thought T-Cubed is a lock to sign Austin Rivers, Doron Lamb, and Wayne Blackshear. Why on earth would Taylor want to sit behind those dudes? And, if Brandon Jennings has any eligibility remaining, he's likely to show up in Bloomington too.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

bma725

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2010, 10:42:47 AM »

He's not allowed to transfer to them according to the notes in the Big East transfer policy.  As far as they are concerned, signing a LOI is as good as actually attending another Big East institution.  That means even though he got a release, he can't go to another Big East institution. 

So if he wants to come back east, it will likely have to be an A-10 school.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2010, 10:45:52 AM »
He's not allowed to transfer to them according to the notes in the Big East transfer policy.  As far as they are concerned, signing a LOI is as good as actually attending another Big East institution.  That means even though he got a release, he can't go to another Big East institution. 

So if he wants to come back east, it will likely have to be an A-10 school.

I'm always curious if the exception is out there for him to transfer back to the original school he transferred from.  Not that he's coming to MU, but it would be interesting to know how that conference feels about that.  Sort of remarrying the woman you divorced.   ;)

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2010, 11:03:13 AM »
I'm always curious if the exception is out there for him to transfer back to the original school he transferred from.  Not that he's coming to MU, but it would be interesting to know how that conference feels about that.  Sort of remarrying the woman you divorced.   ;)

You continue to erroneously refer to TT as a transfer from MU. He never transferred from MU since he never attended MU. This would be more like marrying the girl you had backed out on when a prettier one became available.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2010, 11:06:21 AM »
You continue to erroneously refer to TT as a transfer from MU. He never transferred from MU since he never attended MU. This would be more like marrying the girl you had backed out on when a prettier one became available.

Fair enough....but as far as the conference rules go, they are treated one and the same.  A signed LOI is just as good as if he played at MU, thus my question.

http://njmg.typepad.com/zagsblog/2008/04/tyshawn-taylor.html

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2010, 11:17:38 AM »
Where's Hurley in all of this???

Almost two years ago Hurley was the hardheaded coach looking out for the best interest of his player, which meant he wanted Tyshawn to be released from his LOI to attend Kansas.  He talked about not wanting one of his players to end up in a situation where he didn't fit, and end up unhappy.

Where is Hurley now?

I don't expect Hurley to show up in all of this.  He made his comments pretty clear two years ago.  Once he went to KU, I suspect Hurley pulls back and, at most, is an adviser. 

"No disrespect but that (Buzz Williams) was not the reason why this kid went to Marquette," Hurley said.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2010, 12:08:03 PM »
Not sure if it was mentioned above .. was watching ESPN, they mentioned TT had a facebook status that said he was considering transferring  .. "before it was taken down."

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2010, 12:29:12 PM »
Right............

Cause we didn't have a Senior asked off the team for his smoking activities off the court.

Cause we didn't have a Freshman asked off the team because of his overbearing parent off the court.

Cause we didn't have a committed recruit sexually assault someone off the court.

Cause we didn't cut ties with one of the top shooting guard prospects in the country because his handlers keep getting in the way off the court.

We have plenty of issues off the court.

Don't forget about a certain player using an ATM card that wasn't his and why a certain former player is riding the bench for his legal issues
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 12:33:38 PM by Ari Gold »

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2010, 12:47:03 PM »

"No disrespect but that (Buzz Williams) was not the reason why this kid went to Marquette," Hurley said.

Hurley also said this:  "And he really liked the assistant coaches, particularly the coach that came up from New Orleans - he was really comfortable with him."

http://blogs.jsonline.com/muhoops/archive/2007/11/02/bob-hurley-on-tyshawn-taylor.aspx

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2010, 01:03:41 PM »
Hurley also said this:  "And he really liked the assistant coaches, particularly the coach that came up from New Orleans - he was really comfortable with him."

http://blogs.jsonline.com/muhoops/archive/2007/11/02/bob-hurley-on-tyshawn-taylor.aspx

I've been through this with Chico's already, but since he continues to pin Taylor's decision to de-commit on Buzz, let's see what Tyshawn had to say about it ...

"I think the only way I end up at Marquette is if Coach Williams gets the head-coaching job, or if Coach Williams and another one of the assistants is still there," he said. "Coach Williams recruited me and I really want to play for him. I think that's probably the only way."

http://blogs.jsonline.com/muhoops/archive/2008/04/02/taylor-wants-out.aspx

Q: What kind of relationship do you have with Coach Williams?

A: He recruited me. I had a better relationship with him than with Coach Crean.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2008/04/10/tyshawn-taylor-q-a/

Taylor's response to my inquiry of whom he would like to see hired by the university was: "I don't even know. . . . That's what separated [Marquette] from all the other schools that were recruiting me, the coaching staff." I followed that up by asking the New Jersey star if he would like to see one of the assistants hired, to which he said: "I think that would be nice. . . . I fell in love with those guys. . . . I doubt that any of the assistants would get hired, but it would be nice." He specifically mentioned Brent Williams, the coach that recruited him along with Crean.

http://northstarbasketball.blogspot.com/2008/04/update-on-tyshawn-taylor.html

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2010, 03:28:57 PM »
Pakuni, I believe most of that conversation was with Marquette84, but I don't recall.  It seems that Taylor said one thing and did another.  Go figure. 

I watched much of this game while flipping back and forth between ours. I wanted to see Scott Christopherson and Tyshawn go at it.

Christopherson actually started, played 33 minutes and scored 9 points on 4 of 7 shooting.

Taylor only played 13 minutes, but added 7 points on 3 of 5 shooting.

The game was never in doubt.

1318WWells

• Starter
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2010, 04:33:29 PM »
I think what happened in Taylor's case was that he was recruited to Marquette with the idea that either James or McNeal or both would be leaving early for the NBA. That doesn't happen.  Crean leaves for IU, giving him an excuse to decommit.  Even though he says he's really comfortable playing for Buzz, KU's backcourt leaves early coming off their NCAA win.  More instant playing time available. At KU.  Too good of an oppotunity to pass up.  In the event they do recruit over him, he's still on a perrenial national title contender and can get drafted even as a sixth man.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2010, 06:19:21 PM »
I think what happened in Taylor's case was that he was recruited to Marquette with the idea that either James or McNeal or both would be leaving early for the NBA. That doesn't happen.  Crean leaves for IU, giving him an excuse to decommit.  Even though he says he's really comfortable playing for Buzz, KU's backcourt leaves early coming off their NCAA win.  More instant playing time available. At KU.  Too good of an oppotunity to pass up.  In the event they do recruit over him, he's still on a perrenial national title contender and can get drafted even as a sixth man.

Not playing 13 minutes in a cupcake game.  His playing time has really, really decreased and if it continues, I see the young man complaining about PT and making waves in Kansas.  Trouble be brewing soon, just a matter of time. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2010, 06:45:38 PM »

This.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2010, 11:45:30 AM »
Anything going on here.  I am still not seeing TT on the floor during crunch time.

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2010, 12:11:24 PM »
 On several occasions in the Texas game he drove the length of the court and put up a crazy shot. He looks uncoachable just watching him play.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2010, 12:16:32 PM »
a little part of me smiles everytime I see the KU box score after a game.

Think he regrets his decision?  He'd be starting here.

TomW1365

• Team Captain
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2010, 03:08:28 PM »
Tyshawn Taylor, meet Bobby Frasor.

Anyhow, if he's happier getting limited PT at Kansas than a starring role at Marquette or somewhere else, there's nothing wrong with that. Bobby Frasor was smart enough to know he'd be recruited over at UNC, and he went there anyhow because it was a "dream" school.
That said, Taylor comes off at best as being pretty naive if he believed he was a lock to be a four-year starter and primary option at KU.

Most schools will "recruit over" players... In Bobby and UNC's case, it's a good thing they did continue to recruit at a high level... Bobby got hurt a few times and Ty Lawson was one hell of a PG that they couldn't pass on.  Bobby won a National Championship, Marquette got Dominic James instead.  I think that worked out for everyone... except me.  Would have been cool to have my neighbor playing for Marquette!

As it relates to Tyshawn Taylor, I would take him again in a heartbeat.  It would have been nice to have him this year.  I don't think we would have seen Acker rejoin the program if we still had that "point planker"...  but thank God Acker has stepped up this year... makes the Taylor de-commitment sting less.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 03:12:27 PM by TomW1365 »

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2010, 03:24:48 PM »
Most schools will "recruit over" players... In Bobby and UNC's case, it's a good thing they did continue to recruit at a high level... Bobby got hurt a few times and Ty Lawson was one hell of a PG that they couldn't pass on.  Bobby won a National Championship, Marquette got Dominic James instead.  I think that worked out for everyone... except me.  Would have been cool to have my neighbor playing for Marquette!

As it relates to Tyshawn Taylor, I would take him again in a heartbeat.  It would have been nice to have him this year.  I don't think we would have seen Acker rejoin the program if we still had that "point planker"...  but thank God Acker has stepped up this year... makes the Taylor de-commitment sting less.

I think we missed Taylor even more last year.  Imagine off the bench you would have had Butler and Taylor?  Then, when DJ got hurt, Taylor could have stepped right in.  I think we would have had a much higher seed at also made the Sweet Sixteen.  Alas, too many "ifs" I guess.   :'(

boyonthedock

« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2010, 03:32:39 PM »
Right............

Cause we didn't have a Senior asked off the team for his smoking activities off the court.

Cause we didn't have a Freshman asked off the team because of his overbearing parent off the court.

Cause we didn't have a committed recruit sexually assault someone off the court.

Cause we didn't cut ties with one of the top shooting guard prospects in the country because his handlers keep getting in the way off the court.

We have plenty of issues off the court.
I can deal with sexual assault off the court, but on the court is where i draw the line.

TomW1365

• Team Captain
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2010, 03:41:09 PM »
I think we missed Taylor even more last year.  Imagine off the bench you would have had Butler and Taylor?  Then, when DJ got hurt, Taylor could have stepped right in.  I think we would have had a much higher seed at also made the Sweet Sixteen.  Alas, too many "ifs" I guess.   :'(

I agree with you on this point that he could have really helped last year.  He looked good from what I saw.  Although I don't think he was recruited to be a pass first point guard.  His assist to turnover rate wasn't that great last year.

TomW1365

• Team Captain
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2010, 03:42:09 PM »
I can deal with sexual assault off the court, but on the court is where i draw the line.

HAHAHA!  Awesome post!  2010 post of the year nominee?