[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Missouri Valley Tourney Teams  (Read 1882 times)

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
Missouri Valley Tourney Teams
« on: January 22, 2010, 11:07:41 AM »
 http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news;_ylt=AmrePq5EiFgswmVd2eGZw7LevbYF?slug=jn-kotc012010&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

There is an article on the Missouri Valley Conference and how it deserves more than one tourney team. As of now I see two tourney participants from the conference barring any drastic changes or an upset in the conference tourney.

Many of my friends attended Illinois State and complain about getting snubbed by the committee every year. Yet the problem I see is that they don't schedule any games in which they can measure themselves up against and/or increase their RPI. If MVC teams play cupcakes they wont make the tourney because there conference is not that good year in and year out to have any notable wins.

Yes it is unfortunate that these teams don't make the tourney and I'm sure it hard for these teams to schedule games against the bigger conference schools but it isn't a reason why the tournament should expand. Games such as an Illinois State and Illinois game should be scheduled, which Illinois would probably avoid. All that being said I see two teams making it out of the MVC into the tournament.

NORTHERN IOWA (IN)

Notable Wins: Siena, Iowa State
Losses: DePaul, Wichita State
Overall Record:  16-2
RPI: 19

Final Analysis:   Northern Iowa doesn't have a high RPI due to their lackluster schedule. Iowa State is a decent team but will end up in the NIT at best, while Siena will make the tournament as they are 16-4, will win their conference and have lost to St. Johns, Temple, Georgia Tech, and Northern Iowa.

Wichita State (OUT OR IN?)

Notable Wins: Texas Tech, Northern Iowa
Losses: Pittsburgh, Illinois State, Creighton
Overall Record:  17-3
RPI: 44

Final Analysis:  Wichita State essentially had cupcake games except for Tech and Pitt. They beat Tech and Northern Iowa at home so they essentially do not have a big road win to date. I think that how they do in the remainder of the conference will determine whether they make it in or not. Their RPI is on the cusp considering the automatic bids but they beat two ranked teams out of the 3 they have had so I believe they are in.

Illinois State

Notable Wins: None
Losses: Niagara, Ohio, Missouri State, Northern Iowa, Drake
Overall Record:  14-5
RPI: 84

Final Analysis: Illinois State had cupcake city prior to their conference schedule yet still managed to lose some games. The way their non-conference schedule was set up pretty much was a lose-lose situation for them.
Even if they beat Northern Iowa I don't think it will make much difference, No.

Missouri State

Notable Wins: None
Losses: Arkansas, Northern Iowa, Wichita State, Drake, Bradley
Overall Record:  14-5
RPI: 61

Final Analysis: See Illinois State.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

TheButlerDidIt

• Starter
Re: Missouri Valley Tourney Teams
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 12:47:24 PM »
If it's a two-horse race, I could see Wichita State going too. They may be a one-bid conference, though, if Wichita State falls back to the pack and N. Iowa wins both the regular season and the conference tourney.

But then again, who knows? Maybe Illinois State wins the tourney...

MarquetteBallin

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 02:30:59 PM »
Ever since Wichita and Bradley made the Sweet 16 in 2006, which was also the year G. Mason went to the Final Four, the Mid-Majors have gotten hosed. Incidentally, 2006 was the lowest television ratings in tourney history. The NCAA brass refuses to let that happen again, and will continue to snub quality Mid Major teams in favor of the "big boys" with huge alumni bases and viewing audiences that drive ratings and $$$$.  It's not right, but that's the game. It's why we are lucky to be in the BIG EAST or we'd be a victim if we were still in CUSA.

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 02:52:51 PM »
Ever since Wichita and Bradley made the Sweet 16 in 2006, which was also the year G. Mason went to the Final Four, the Mid-Majors have gotten hosed. Incidentally, 2006 was the lowest television ratings in tourney history. The NCAA brass refuses to let that happen again, and will continue to snub quality Mid Major teams in favor of the "big boys" with huge alumni bases and viewing audiences that drive ratings and $$$$.  It's not right, but that's the game. It's why we are lucky to be in the BIG EAST or we'd be a victim if we were still in CUSA.

I agree with that. Anything business gets there hands on, especially sports, it is run for profit and gives us this:

- College football bowl games between 6-6 teams, names like PapaJohns.com Bowl
- The Super Bowl being 5-6 hours long, its not about the game anymore
- Owners looking away from the "Steroid Era" that saved baseball
- TV timeouts, etc.

I do understand why it is that way but I don't have to agree with it. MVC teams have to challenge themselves out of conference though.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 10:03:31 AM »
Majerus wants SLU in that league.  Apparently, the lack of rivals and east coast travel are the biggest issues.  Which leads to this point, is the A-10 better than the Valley?  Doubtful.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 10:18:17 AM »
Majerus wants SLU in that league.  Apparently, the lack of rivals and east coast travel are the biggest issues.  Which leads to this point, is the A-10 better than the Valley?  Doubtful.

The latest Sagarin ratings have the A10 at #7 and the MVC at #9.  IMO, that is pretty accurate...the A10 is better, but not massively better.

When I look at the schools in the conference, St. Louis seems a fit "by type" in the A10 (a number of urban, private schools), but they are such a geographical outlier.  (The closest schools to them are Dayton and Xavier...350 miles away).  They geographically fit nicely in the MVC, and there are a couple of schools that are their type (Creighton, Drake, Bradley)  The furthest they would have to travel is about 450 to Wichita and Omaha.

I can understand why Majerus would want a switch.  Easier travel...better chance to win.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 11:46:31 AM »
I said in a different thread that MU scheduling one MAC ad one MVC team every season would be beneficial for everyone involved, and improving the conference's overall tournament profile is one of the benefits for the MVC.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

feedback