[Today at 06:05:33 AM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:59:46 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Jevvie Pride: Ring out Ahoya for Wade, Mourning  (Read 13779 times)

MUrugger

• Starter
Jevvie Pride: Ring out Ahoya for Wade, Mourning
« on: January 18, 2010, 10:23:23 PM »
Is it a coincidence that Alonzo Mourning and Dwayne Wade, products of Jesuit institutions Georgetown and Marquette have lead the charge of pro athletes offering financial aid to Haiti?  I think not.

Mourning has traveled there and first solicited DWade who jumped on it like a loose ball, pledging $175,000 to Haitian relief.  He also picked up the phone and dialed far beyond his Fav Five to hit up on fellow NBA greats and high rollers to join the cause.  The response has been immediate and overwhelming.  They are well over $1 Million in a little more than a day.

DWade casts a wide and impressive shadow over the League and it makes me proud when I can see that Jesuit influence in his actions.  Don't even try to tell me that it isn't there.  I know better.

I always say that the Chevy commercial where he opens up the SUV, the balls pop out and the new basketball court gets built, with the DW voice over saying something like, "One of the things I want to do with my life is to make the world just a little better place than I found it." is Jevvie 101.  Yeah an adman might have thought that was brilliant but my firm belief is that Dwayne said something reflecting his Jesuit influence the the Ad guy says, "That's super, we're gonna use that!"  Ring Out Ahoya!

foreverwarriors

• Team Captain
Re: Jevvie Pride: Ring out Ahoya for Wade, Mourning
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 10:55:12 PM »
with a salary of $15M plus (BEFORE endorsements), 175k is loose change.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 10:59:38 PM »

That may be, but it's anything but loose change to the organizations using it and the people that need it.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 11:01:05 PM »
You assume that's his ONLY charitable contribution.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 11:22:32 PM »

There are lots of wealthy people who give nothing away to charities.  $175,000 is a lot of money towards the cause, and Wade should be applauded for it.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 12:01:57 AM by Daniel »

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 11:51:04 PM »
Let's not forget he already tithes 10% to a Chicago church.
SS Marquette

foreverwarriors

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 02:28:52 AM »
There are lots of wealthy people who give nothing away to charities.  $175,000 is a lot of money towards the cause, and Wade should be applauded for it.

I'm not saying $175k isn't a lot of money towards the cause. I'm sure it will be an enormous help in rebuilding Haiti and helping her people.

asking for him to be "applauded" for it though is ridiculous. Considering his salary and endorsements, it is well under 1% of what he will make this year. This is one of most catastrophic events of anyone's lifetime. In recent history, it dwarf's the destruction of Katrina and might only be compared to devastation in life caused by the 2004 tsunami in the Indian Ocean.

I say it's loose change because...well...considering what he has at his disposal to help Haiti, it is...

aka my desperate plea to get everyone to give as much as they can to support relief efforts in Haiti
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 02:55:10 AM by foreverwarriors »

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 05:19:00 AM »
"Jevvie?"

Don't you mean "Jebbie??"

Cite:  http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Jebbie
Ludum habemus.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 07:30:38 AM »
Did DWade learn about sleeping around on his wife through his Jesuit education too?

Just sayin'...

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 07:37:51 AM »
Hel learned that from society. The Jesuits do not teach sleeping around.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2010, 07:43:24 AM »
Hel learned that from society. The Jesuits do not teach sleeping around.

But they don't teach not to sleep around? 

I fail to understand how you can claim the Jesuit faith is largely responsible for his positive actions, but not at all responsible for his negative traits.  There are plenty of atheists doing wonderful things for the needy, and plenty of Jesuits doing despicable actions and taking advantage of the needy.  If Wade would have been offered a scholarship from UNC and went there he never would have donated funds right?!?!

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2010, 07:51:01 AM »
Someone explain to me why Giselle Bundchen donated $1.5 million... and Sandra Bullock donated $1 million.

I guess they must be Jesuit educated too.
come on guys, get off the high horse.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2010, 07:58:55 AM »
Not only that, but I think we have to be careful to fall into the trap that because professional athletes do good things, that that makes them good guys.  I think we have all heard enough stories to show that by and large pro athletes are a narcissistic and ego-maniacal bunch.  Of course there are exceptions to the rule, but don't get overly impressed by positive actions while overlooking the negative ones.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2010, 08:09:15 AM »
Someone explain to me why Giselle Bundchen donated $1.5 million... and Sandra Bullock donated $1 million.

+1

Reminds me of this Entourage clip .. So coincidental it was for a Haitian charity, too.

Funny as hell.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/9uLrAggU3Y0&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;color1=0x2b405b&amp;color2=0x6b8ab6&amp;border=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/9uLrAggU3Y0&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;color1=0x2b405b&amp;color2=0x6b8ab6&amp;border=1</a>

reinko

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2010, 08:15:36 AM »
Is it a coincidence that Alonzo Mourning and Dwayne Wade, products of Jesuit institutions Georgetown and Marquette have lead the charge of pro athletes offering financial aid to Haiti?  I think not.

Mourning has traveled there and first solicited DWade who jumped on it like a loose ball, pledging $175,000 to Haitian relief.  He also picked up the phone and dialed far beyond his Fav Five to hit up on fellow NBA greats and high rollers to join the cause.  The response has been immediate and overwhelming.  They are well over $1 Million in a little more than a day.

DWade casts a wide and impressive shadow over the League and it makes me proud when I can see that Jesuit influence in his actions.  Don't even try to tell me that it isn't there.  I know better.

I always say that the Chevy commercial where he opens up the SUV, the balls pop out and the new basketball court gets built, with the DW voice over saying something like, "One of the things I want to do with my life is to make the world just a little better place than I found it." is Jevvie 101.  Yeah an adman might have thought that was brilliant but my firm belief is that Dwayne said something reflecting his Jesuit influence the the Ad guy says, "That's super, we're gonna use that!"  Ring Out Ahoya!

It is spelled Dwyane.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2010, 08:31:22 AM »
I don't think it was Marquette who taught D-Wade to be a generous individual (this isn't the first time he's donated money to a worth cause); I would argue that these qualities were already embedded in him before he arrived on campus.  Assuming this is the case, it's not difficult to argue that a Jesuit education appealed to him on some level, but I would say that MU's impact on his generosity is minimal at best.

And no, sleeping around was not learned in the MU classroom.  However, I will attest that it is something that has been taught at various on and off-campus bars for many decades.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2010, 09:29:38 AM »

Do they actually donate the money.   I read an article a few years ago post Katrina, and all these big pledges being made (one Saudi pledged 500 Million)... then how few of these pledges are fully honored.  Some celebrities claim to make a large donation, with the thought that the publicity that is generated that results in others donating, making up for the lack of the actual donation in $.  So, I guess they claim the publicity is worth a million dollars and don't actually donate a dime or they go there and consider this as part of the $ donation.  I'm not saying that is the case with the two people mentioned, but, I would love to see some of these people called out after the fact if they don't follow through.  Another thing that some do is fund a charitable trust (which benefits them and the charity) and don't really give the million in cold hard cash to the charity.  So, I hope these people are giving the $, but after reading about the gap between pledges and donations, I have become a little leary of just believing a press release.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2010, 10:25:34 AM »
I like how this thread went from applauding Wade for a charitable donation to chastising him for supposed infidelity and complaining that this is what he should be doing and not giving more.  Come on people.  Can't we just be proud that our most visible alumni is doing good things for others and not getting busted with guns in his locker or for getting a DUI?  I'm sure he does plenty of other charitable giving that is not in the public eye, but I'm sure people will find some way to knock down that too.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2010, 10:35:36 AM »
I like how this thread went from applauding Wade for a charitable donation to chastising him for supposed infidelity and complaining that this is what he should be doing and not giving more.  Come on people.  Can't we just be proud that our most visible alumni is doing good things for others and not getting busted with guns in his locker or for getting a DUI?  I'm sure he does plenty of other charitable giving that is not in the public eye, but I'm sure people will find some way to knock down that too.

I think it's great that DWade is making this donation and I never chastised him for anything.  I just think the original poster is silly saying that this, and the line he used in the Chevy Truck commercial of all things, are a result of his Jesuit education.  No one around here knows the man enough to  know if this is the case or not.  NBA superstars are basically products of their PR spin.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2010, 12:11:19 PM »
Where the heck are the following players:

Diener
Novak
Matthews
Allen Iverson (Georgetown)
Jeff Green (Georgetown)
Roy Hibbert (Georgetown)
Adam Morrison (Gonzaga)
Ronny Turiaf (Gonzaga)
David West (Xavier)
James Posey (Xavier)
Jared Dudley (BC)
Craig Smith (BC)
Kyle Korver (Creighton)
Jameer Nelson (St. Joseph)
Delonte West (St. Joseph)
Larry Hughes (SLU)
Steve Nash (Santa Clara)

Didn't the Jebbies teach them anything?!!

Please note:  I have no idea if any of these current NBA players donated or not.  While I appreciate the values that the Jesuit's tried to impart, I think it's a stretch to credit the generosity of Wade or Mourning to their Jesuit education.  There are a lot of athletes from all backgrounds who will generously support the relief efforts in Haiti and other worthy causes.  Some (maybe even some of those listed above) will do so without any fanfare whatsoever.  Wade deserves credit for his generosity.  I'm not so sure the Jesuits should necessarily share the credit.

Edited to add:  I attempted to compile a fairly complete list of current NBA players from Jesuit institutions.  Not sure if I missed any.  If I didn't miss any, it would appear that Marquette currently has more players in the NBA than any other Jesuit school.  That's kind of cool, I guess.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 02:10:33 PM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2010, 12:37:12 PM »
Do they actually donate the money.   I read an article a few years ago post Katrina, and all these big pledges being made (one Saudi pledged 500 Million)... then how few of these pledges are fully honored.  Some celebrities claim to make a large donation, with the thought that the publicity that is generated that results in others donating, making up for the lack of the actual donation in $.  So, I guess they claim the publicity is worth a million dollars and don't actually donate a dime or they go there and consider this as part of the $ donation.  I'm not saying that is the case with the two people mentioned, but, I would love to see some of these people called out after the fact if they don't follow through.  Another thing that some do is fund a charitable trust (which benefits them and the charity) and don't really give the million in cold hard cash to the charity.  So, I hope these people are giving the $, but after reading about the gap between pledges and donations, I have become a little leary of just believing a press release.

are you referring to Tom crean and his much ballyhooed donation to the MU soccer program where he orchestrated all his own publicity and then never donated the money?  Maybe you are not it just seemed like it.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2010, 04:30:08 PM »
are you referring to Tom crean and his much ballyhooed donation to the MU soccer program where he orchestrated all his own publicity and then never donated the money?  Maybe you are not it just seemed like it.

You have got to be shttin me! Crean never honored his pledge? What a douche.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2010, 04:31:09 PM »

Do you know that he never honored his pledge?

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2010, 04:47:36 PM »

Do you know that he never honored his pledge?

As of last year, he had not.

MUrugger

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2010, 05:19:51 PM »
I suppose I should have expected that this post would take the direction that it has.  Whether Wade's contribution or his suggestion to others to join the cause was inadequate given his means is for others to judge...and they have. I just thought it was a genuine and heartfelt gesture that speaks well to his Marquette education. I had hoped the infidelity thing wouldn't come up. That's where I was silly.  It certainly isn't news.

I suppose that I should also feel some level accomplishment too that after just 50-some posts I've established my own haters club out there in Scoopland.  I don't though; rather, it feels weird. The Sultan and his lap dog reinko have attacked my views on several posts over the last few days and before then I wasn't aware that anybody even cared about an opinion I offered or that I had much topical to say.

It does seem laughable though that someone who would label themselves as the "Sultan" of anything is so quick to call others "narcissistic and ego-maniacal."  Silly?  Silly how??  We're just gonna disagree on this one.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 05:22:20 PM by MUrugger »

feedback