[June 09, 2024, 10:48:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by 4everwarriors
[June 09, 2024, 08:25:23 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[June 09, 2024, 07:04:21 PM]

Arby's National Roast Beef Day Deal by oldwarrior81
[June 09, 2024, 05:24:39 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Cubs Interested In Sheets & Dye  (Read 5927 times)

copious1218

• All American
Re: Cubs Interested In Sheets & Dye
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2010, 02:07:26 PM »
So, what is a more fair # $7 million a year?  That extra 3 million represents an overall 2.5% (last year Cubs payroll was $135 million) of the team payroll.  Chump change.  He may not be worth 10 million to any team, but only 3-5 teams have the ability to eat an extra 2 or 3 million dollars a year to get them on to their team.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090408&content_id=4170640&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

I wouldn't take Sheets for $7M either - I think Harden got $6.5M from the Rangers, if the Cubs pay MORE for Sheets than Harden - I will be very unhappy (not because Harden is necessarily better, but because the Cubs use the money excuse to let a injury-ridden pitcher leave only to sign the same thing to more money).

However, since you quoted my post about financial limits I should specify what I meant by financial limits.  I was referencing the 2010 season.  The Ricketts have made it known the payroll will not exceed $140M.  Without any significant money leaving (Bradley's money just goes to Silva now - how exciting, and Harden's money will go to Byrd - I may be missing some other transactions) and 8 arbitration eligible players that will be receiving a salary increase, it won't take long for the payroll to go from $135M to $140M - I do not see room to sign Sheets to $10M.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2010, 04:38:28 PM »
I realize Sheets wants $10 million a year but unless he absolutely wows someone on Tuesday he's going to have to drop that number significantly if he wants to pitch next year.

I don't think $10 million is realistic for a pitcher coming off of arm sugery. If he proves he has the stuff he had before he can get that molney on his next contract but not before.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2010, 05:20:54 PM »
As a Brewers fan, I'm not so sure I'm comfortable with Sheets in Chicago. The guy has had more than his share of health problems (some of them total bad luck...remember the inner ear thing?), but when he's healthy, he's very good and has shown flashes of outright dominance (18K vs ATL, no-hitter broken up by Vlad Guerrero in the 7th, both a few years back). Add that to the potential "revenge" factor (assuming he ends up in Chicago), Sheets could become a major thorn in the Brewers' side, but this time it won't be because he can't stay healthy.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2010, 08:46:04 AM »
$7Million for one year? Done (assuming he looks good when he throws). Throw on the second year he wants at that amount or more, and I'm out.