[Today at 11:50:43 AM]

Recruiting as of 6/15/24 by Jockey
[June 15, 2024, 06:14:18 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[June 15, 2024, 09:14:49 AM]

Media Rights Update by Shooter McGavin
[June 15, 2024, 07:12:21 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: DePaul's new hire  (Read 13130 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: DePaul's new hire
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2010, 05:31:34 PM »
Everything I said was fact.

I realize the context of MU being a pretty good team for a handful of years before, which makes my statements less damning.

But, in 1998/1999, MU was a bad situation that's not unlike DePaul's current situation.

They should get a tan coach and an all-world guard. It did wonders for MU.

Sorry if my attempt at humor fell flat.

But I still think your comparison is way off target. DePaul has lost 21 straight Big East games and is 6-33 in conference over the last three years. If there are 7000 people at their arena it means the visitor's fans outnumber their own. Just to get to where MU was in 1998 would be a major accomplishment.

On your last point, maybe TC feels it's "mission accomplished" at IU and can get Nick Williams to follow him to Chicago.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2010, 05:39:58 PM »
They were smart enough to hire Webster as an interim.  They are crazy if they don't take him full time.  He will make them a factor with every major recruit in Ill. from day one.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2010, 05:50:04 PM »
I think a lot of you are forgetting that Richmond and UNC Wilmington were pretty good under JW.  Two NCAA teams.  Richmond gave Wisconsin fits at the Bradley Center in the NCAAs.  At UNC Wilmington he took them to the NCAAs twice and got to the second round.

In the first two years at DePaul, he did some pretty decent things.  They went 9-7 in the Big East, won 20 games, went to the NIT. 

Then, the bottom dropped out.  Kids leaving really killed him.  It's not like the guy didn't know how to coach.  I suspect that he didn't have the fire to recruit, but he certainly has his share of success during his career....he's no legend (LOL) but he wasn't incapable of coaching either.

Nice guy, too bad he couldn't get it done.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2010, 05:59:35 PM »
Sorry if my attempt at humor fell flat.

But I still think your comparison is way off target. DePaul has lost 21 straight Big East games and is 6-33 in conference over the last three years. If there are 7000 people at their arena it means the visitor's fans outnumber their own. Just to get to where MU was in 1998 would be a major accomplishment.

On your last point, maybe TC feels it's "mission accomplished" at IU and can get Nick Williams to follow him to Chicago.

You're certainly right that DePaul is further down. I cannot argue that.

But, to me, the situations are similar. My original description of "very similar" is probably overstating it though.

- DePaul reports attendance of 9K last year (Big East Wiki).

- That's not far off from MU's 1999 number of 9,900

- DePaul has lost a lot of conference games in a row, that's for sure. But, that's also in very, very tough conference. Put them in CUSA, and they would have some wins.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2010, 06:08:41 PM »
I think a lot of you are forgetting that Richmond and UNC Wilmington were pretty good under JW.  Two NCAA teams.  Richmond gave Wisconsin fits at the Bradley Center in the NCAAs.  At UNC Wilmington he took them to the NCAAs twice and got to the second round.

In the first two years at DePaul, he did some pretty decent things.  They went 9-7 in the Big East, won 20 games, went to the NIT. 

Then, the bottom dropped out.  Kids leaving really killed him.  It's not like the guy didn't know how to coach.  I suspect that he didn't have the fire to recruit, but he certainly has his share of success during his career....he's no legend (LOL) but he wasn't incapable of coaching either.

Nice guy, yes. Decent coach, yes. But if MU slipped under Deane (and we did) DePaul fell off a cliff under Jerry. Amazing he lasted this long.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2010, 06:31:20 PM »
Lenny, we agree.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2010, 06:44:22 PM »

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2010, 07:48:29 PM »
Nice guy, yes. Decent coach, yes. But if MU slipped under Deane (and we did) DePaul fell off a cliff under Jerry. Amazing he lasted this long.

True.

Jerry is a good guy, but certainly slipped quicker and farther than Deano.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2010, 07:57:24 PM »
Crean has probably taken IU as far as he can and needs a new challenge (along with more money). Perfect job for him to come in on his horse and be the savior.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2010, 10:46:54 PM »
Lenny, we agree.
Praise the Lord.

Vlad the impaler just called.  He said it's freezing.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2010, 11:31:08 PM »
On the radio in Chicago today, DePaul spokewoman said they would spend the money to get a great coach - so who knows.  Wainwright was very good. . . for Marquette.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 12:16:55 PM by Daniel »

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2010, 12:26:54 AM »
On the radion in Chicago today, DePaul spokewoman said they woul dspend hte money to get a great coach - so who knows.  Wainwright was very good. . . for Marquette.

I take that with a grain of salt.  What else are you going to say the day you can your head coach?

DePaul's bigger problem is the lack of vision in their administration when it comes to athletics, and a lot of it roots back to how their athletic department is run.  It's a mom-and-pop operation, plain and simple. 

Before they hire a coach, they need to moreso answer the question of who they want to be. If they want to play with the big boys in the Big East, they'll need to not only put out the money for a major coach, but also clean house in their athletic department and run it like a business.  However, the way they are currently operating, they are (and may be) better suited for the Atlantic 10 or the Missouri Valley. 
The General has taken on a new command.

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2010, 09:19:19 AM »
[Before they hire a coach, they need to moreso answer the question of who they want to be. If they want to play with the big boys in the Big East, they'll need to not only put out the money for a major coach, but also clean house in their athletic department and run it like a business.  However, the way they are currently operating, they are (and may be) better suited for the Atlantic 10 or the Missouri Valley. 
[/quote]

I agree.  When Leitao gave notice, DePaul had to make a decision to either fully commit to the program or to hire a decent coach that would run a clean program.  Its my belief that in letting Leitao go and hiring Wainwright (and I don't mean to bash Wainwright, I'm surprised the team has performed as badly as it has),  the administration made the decision not to fully commit to it.  Now 5 years later, the administration fires Wainwright and says money is no object in hiring a coach.  I don't believe that's true and I don't believe they're fully committed.  I can see Webster getting the gig.
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2010, 09:21:23 AM »

Glad someone else remembers this...I really thought at the time he was going to be another Bo Ryan type.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

bma725

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2010, 09:36:06 AM »

What you're forgetting is that he was already showing signs of recruiting problems while at Richmond. 

He tookover the team when John Beilein left for WVU, and had a team full of juniors and seniors ready to make a run.  His last year, when it was mostly his own guys in the primary roles, he had a losing record and people at Richmond were already talking about how he was out of his depth. 

That's what was so odd about his hiring at DePaul.  He'd just gone 14-15 at Richmond in 2004-05, and there were doubts he'd be there much longer.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2010, 11:55:13 AM »
Some people on the radio are throwing Dave Leitao's name out there for a return.  He may have burned some bridges, however, when he left for Virginia.

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2010, 12:57:59 PM »
 Good story on DePaul basically stating that they didn't recruit
the high level players in the state of Illinois such as Whitney Young.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/ncb/columns/story?columnist=powers_scott&id=4817440
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2010, 02:26:47 PM »
On the radio in Chicago today, DePaul spokewoman said they would spend the money to get a great coach - so who knows.  Wainwright was very good. . . for Marquette.

It is a turning point for DePaul, as it was for MU in '99.

MU hired a hot young coach, but more importantly, put administive / infrastructure in place to insure success.  (Al, academics support, etc.)  Marquette also courted a big supporter to fund these goodies. 

Point is:  a coach can only go so far without the administration putting other infrastructure in place.

Fullodds

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2010, 02:31:20 PM »
All you need to know about Wainwright's recruiting is that he played a walk-on more than his recruits last week against 'Nova.

As far as coaching, I've never understood the love for Jerry's coaching skills.  After 4+ years DePaul never had an identity on either side of the ball.  That is hard to do.  Even my 6th grade team I coach has developed an identity -- you know what you will get, know what you do well and what you need work on.  What did DePaul ever do well with JW on offense or defense?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2010, 02:36:27 PM »
It is a turning point for DePaul, as it was for MU in '99.

MU hired a hot young coach, but more importantly, put administive / infrastructure in place to insure success.  (Al, academics support, etc.)  Marquette also courted a big supporter to fund these goodies. 

Point is:  a coach can only go so far without the administration putting other infrastructure in place.

Let's not forget that the Al didn't come about until 2004 and ground wasn't broken until 2002.  But yes, the administration has to be on board. 

Maryland Warrior

• Walk-On
DePaul
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2010, 03:10:53 PM »
  How did such a storied program become so poor?  Also, can anyone refresh memory on when/why Loyola of the Windy City just completely packed it in as a major college program.

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
Re: DePaul
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2010, 03:18:44 PM »
 There is already a topic on DePauls program, see the board
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2010, 03:47:25 PM »
Article about the Rosemont Horizon with a couple of good shots at DePaul.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/morrissey/1985764,CST-SPT-morrissey12.article

« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 05:12:08 PM by SaintPaulWarrior »

MU Chi_IL

• Team Captain
  • Marquette is Solid Gold!
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2010, 05:09:39 PM »
Also, can anyone refresh memory on when/why Loyola of the Windy City just completely packed it in as a major college program.

Someone who is older might remember better, but I believe after Gene Sullivan in the late 80s, Loyola passed on Doug Bruno (assistant at the time) who has proven to be solid in running a program.  I think they tried to hire a few assistants over there (one from UCLA that escapes my mind), but never backed it up with the money. 

They have a modern on campus gym, that is under major renovations now to upgrade (think poor mans Al when it is done).   

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2010, 05:15:46 PM »
Someone who is older might remember better, but I believe after Gene Sullivan in the late 80s, Loyola passed on Doug Bruno (assistant at the time) who has proven to be solid in running a program.  I think they tried to hire a few assistants over there (one from UCLA that escapes my mind), but never backed it up with the money. 

They have a modern on campus gym, that is under major renovations now to upgrade (think poor mans Al when it is done).   

I believe it was Larry Farmer that went to Loyola. 

feedback