[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: From Georgetown: Sleeping With The Enemy: Meet The Marquette Golden Eagles  (Read 5875 times)

Sir Lawrence

• All American
From Georgetown's version of Cracked Sidewalks, an interview with our very own bamamarquettefan1:

Sleeping With The Enemy: Meet The Marquette Golden Eagles

http://www.casualhoya.com/2010/1/5/1234120/sleeping-with-the-enemy-meet-the

Once again, we here at Casual Hoya are bringing you what you need to know about our next opponent.  Special thanks to John Pudner of www.crackedsidewalks.com, the greatest Marquette hoops blog in the universe, for answering our penetrating questions.  Mr. John Pudner, this bud's for you.  Away we go...

Wayne Campbell: So, do you come to Milwaukee often?
    Alice Cooper: Well, I'm a regular visitor here, but Milwaukee has certainly had its share of visitors. The French missionaries and explorers began visiting here in the late 16th century.
    Pete: Hey, isn't "Milwaukee" an Indian name?
    Alice Cooper: Yes, Pete, it is. In fact , it's pronounced "mill-e-wah-que" which is Algonquin for "the good land."
    Wayne Campbell: I was not aware of that.

CH:  Tell us something about Milwaukee that we don't know.

Chris Farley really did go to MU with me there in the 1980s and was able to recreate the Marquette's campus pretty well in the opening of the "Tommy Boy." On average, Milwaukee is actually more windy than Chicago, and French explorer Fr. Jacques Marquette (statue on North Third Street near the Bradley Center) was the first European to survive a winter in the area. Two other must-sees near the Bradley Center are the Art Center (huge metal wings that open to reveal Lake Michigan from the cozy indoors!) and the largest musical festival in the world in Summerfest.  Finally, I will put Milwaukee's restaurants up against any city besides New York. The food is unbelievably good, with every ethnicity represented by unbelievable food.

Marquette has lost to West Virginia and Villanova, the two preseason conference favorites, by a total of three points. Obviously, the Golden Eagles are not as bad as their 0-2 conference record thus far suggests. What can Georgetown expect from Marquette on Wednesday?

MU was picked to finish 13th in the Big East then lost their top recruit in point guard Junior Cadougan (torn Achilles) and their first 6-foot-10 starter since the Final Four run in Chris Otule (broken foot). However, a shockingly good start makes this game very close to a mirror image of the last time Georgetown came to Marquette last January 31. Like Georgetown last year, MU came in expecting a huge rebuilding year with McNeal, Matthews and James graduating. Like Georgetown last year, MUs expectations suddenly soared with two early upsets (albeit wins over Xavier and #15 Michigan were not as impressive as Georgetown's wins against Memphis and UConn last year). However, like Georgetown last year, the inexperienced MU enters this game having crashed to earth by then losing 5 of 8 (the Hoyas had lost 7 of 9 coming into last year's game). www.kenpom.com still ranks MU as the 24th best team in the land, about where they Hoyas were for last year's game, and they are going inot a matchup with the No. 13 and 11-1 Hoyas, just as Gtown faced a 17-2 and #8 ranked MU last year. If you remember how desperate the Hoyas were to come in and win last year, I think you get a feel for how desperate MU will be for a win Wednesday night.

Marquette is famous for having uniforms so wacky that the NCAA has actually banned them.  Any chance they revive those or the casual untucked jerseys from the championship run?

Don't expect any surprise uniforms, though they are kept as great secrets when unveiled.  What we have found is that the rainbow rims around the arm openings often confuse opponents into thinking they are guarding three players instead of one, an advantage we need since we rarely have a player more than 6-foot-6 on the court!  My real hope is that we do not come out in the UNC baby blue uniforms, as they look great but never seem to result in a win.  Hopefully we are in the bright gold!

In a city renowned for such culinary dishes as beer brats, is the 'freshman 15' actually the 'freshman 40'?

Funny you should ask, because it actually was a freshman 40 for me. However, like most MU freshman, I was shocked at the reaction of family and friends over my first Christmas back and started making daily use of MUs fantastic rec center and lost it all back by the end of the freshman year. The funny thing is that through the days of Doc Rivers, MU practiced in a terrible, beat up "old gym," while non-athletes like me had 5 state of the art basketball courts, a pool, 8 tennis courts and other workout areas in the rec center that was donated by a former non-athlete on the condition that the varsity teams could not use it. (Casual Note: We at Casual Hoya do not endorse any spawn of MU alum Doc Rivers).

Who are Marquette's best scorers? Rebounders?

Lazar Hayward is the best scorer and rebounder - but the pleasant surprise this year has been that he is helped by three other studs - a vastly improved Jimmy Butler and two incredible JC transfers in Darius Johnson-Odom and Dwight Buycks. These four give them plenty of scoring and rebounding to win - but they wear down as part of only a 7-man rotation in big games.

As great as the 'Three Amigos' were at getting to the hoop, once Steve Novak left their three MU teams ranked 198th, 141st and 85th in the nation in effective field goal shooting (shooting percentage plus an extra half shot credited for 3-pointers made). This year MU ranks 32nd in the country due to hitting 41.2 percent of 3-pointers (16th in the country) and over half of their 2-pointers (50.5%).

When Hayward is on the court, he shoots 40% of our trips down the court, and while fresh he is as deadly from three feet outside the arc as slamming on the heads' of opponents on follow-ups. Butler is the 5th best all-round offensive player in the country according to Ken Pomeroy's statistical rankings (www.kenpom.com) due to his tenacious offensive rebounding and drives to the hoop, Johnson-Odom is 28 of 48 on three-pointers to easily lead the Big East at 58.3%, and Dwight Buycks seemed fully recovered from an ankle injury when he put in 15 points against Nova for his fourth double digit outing.

Depth is the issue, as there are concerns that guards Maurice Acker and David Cubillan are too small to take on Big East guards (though both are over 41% from behind the arc), and the only three players over 6-foot-6 hardly play (6-foot-7 Joe Fulce started but played only 9 minutes against Nova while 7-foot-2 Youssoupha Mbao and 4-star 6-7 freshman forward Erik Williams rarely play.)

Following coach McGuire and Butch Lee's championship in 1977, it took Marquette 26 years to get back to the final 4 - chances that Buzz Williams gets you back there in the next 10?

Before Jeronne Maymon transferred out after exams, I believed MU could make a Final Four run as early as the 2011-12. I have studied the average progression of 5-star, 4-star and 3-star players through their Big East careers, and that model pegged MU as winning only 19 total games this year, but 25 next year and 30 in 2011-12 with 5-star recruit Vander Blue (2010 signee) and Top 50 recruit Junior Cadougan (red shirting his freshman year due to torn Achilles) leading a backcourt. Of course, if we could have traded you for Greg Monroe, I believe we would have made the Final Four last year and this year! We really are vertically challenged, This year our average height on the court at a given time is 6-foot-3.3 inches, making us the 320th tallest Division 1 team, while the Hoya's average 6-foot-5.5 inches, the 47th tallest team. If you look at the past decade, we had exactly one year with a legit big man, when Robert Jackson transferred from Mississippi State for his senior season - and we went to the Final Four. We continue to get incredible guards and 6-6 studs (2010 recruit Jamail Jones), so if Otule and Mbao develop into decent centers by their junior seasons, MU has a shot to make a Final Four run that early.

It was in the 20's in DC this past weekend and I refused to leave the house except to pick up alcohol and go to Burger King. How do you survive the Milwaukee winters? What do students do for fun on cold winter nights?
I'm dating myself with this one. I went there to take advantage of one of the last states to keep an 18 year old drinking age, and at the time it was great adventure to bar hop. We had the most bars per capita in the US then, so it was great fun to pack like sardines into a bar, then sprint half a block to the next bar, and repeat this through eight or 10 bars each night. Obviously since no students drink any more until they turn 21, MU has done an excellent job of taking over most of the old bars and building out fantastic indoor establishments centered around the Union Sports Annex at 804 N. 16th Street, which has a deep basement setting with monster screen for MU games and other events. I would live in Milwaukee in a heartbeat, but I met a good Milwaukee girl who had had enough of Milwaukee winters and insisted I move her to the south, I simply fly back for a half dozen games a year and Summerfest.

Tom Crean: friend or foe?

Overall, Crean is booed by 90% of the fans when he appears cutting down the nets on the pregame film. However, I was probably one of his biggest defenders all the way to the end, and even after he was gone couldn't help but note that he rebuilt a program that was virtually bankrupt back into a national team, and brought us both Dwyane Wade and Buzz Williams, as his assistant. He was probably a little too slick looking for a blue collar town like Milwaukee that didn't like hearing the annual reports of his salary and potential suitors, but he did a lot for this program.

The TV show ‘Step by Step' took place in Port Washington, WI. Does the amusement park depicted in the intro actually exist? Wasn't it amazing how Suzanne Somers and Patrick Duffy built such a tight-knit family amongst so many different personalities?

When we had six children people compared us to the Brady Bunch and Step-by-Step, but my wife was quick to note she had all six children herself, and then we had three more and the comparisons ended. As for the amusement park, in Trivia Pursuit I never get the Entertainment questions right, but a family member tells me the amusement park does exist. My main complaint about the series is that Patrick Duffy loved the Milwaukee Bucks and Green Bay Packers, but there was never a mention of Marquette. If he was making the half hour drive from Port Washington down to Bucks games, couldn't they have had him travel down during the 1994 TV season to see Jim McIlvaine leading MU to the Sweet 16?

Golden Eagles. Really?

To answer that question, you have got to watch the below interview with Dwyane Wade in which he learns that Marquette is about to change the team's name to "The Gold."  My theory is this - knowing what has happened on other campuses with Indian team names, the asking price to keep Warriors was probably too high, and to stop the push to return to "the Warriors" the Board decided to go with "The Gold" so that MU fans would decide "Golden Eagles" was good by comparison. Fr. Robert Wild has done an incredible job of establishing MU basketball again, but he has been very clear that he will not allow the name to go back to the Warriors, so Golden Eagles it is. Still, you will see many Marquette Warriors shirts in the stands.

Choose one and defend: Old Milwaukee or PBR?

I will choose to defend Pabst Blue Ribbon.  Understand that when I went to school, every beer from Michelob on down sold for $2 a six pack, much less than soda, and Marquette was still throwing a block party every semester during which they served free beer to everyone on campus, most of Notre Dame's students, and students from every corner of the US who arrived for the weekend.  We started with screwdrivers at student apartments at 7 a.m., and the challenge was to drink and maintain a buzz until all parties and bars closed at 4 a.m. the next morning, without getting sick.  In short, none of us had to drink either PBR or Old Milwaukee because any beer we wanted was free to very inexpensive.  However, my father in law worked for Pabst Blue Ribbon and it was an economic alternative for people in other areas, so I will defend them. The fact that Old Milwaukee used the name of the greatest beer city in the US to label a bad beer is inexcusable, so I cannot defend them.

Final score prediction:

MU is DESPERATE for a win, and I believe they pull off a 66-65 win, hitting a couple of key free throws at the end to seal it.

I believe our three players 6-foot-7 or better (Fulce, Mbao and Williams) need to give Buzz more than the combined 11 minutes they have averaged in the first two Big East games. If that's all they have, then that means our six players between 5-foot-8 and 6-foot-6 have to average over 33 minutes each of bodying up against bigger opponents. As a result, we have led WVU 62-57 with 42 seconds left, 71-69 with 57 seconds left and 56-55 with 32 seconds left against Florida State, but missed last free throws against all three to lose each time.

Many of our fans have given up hope since we have lost 9 of 10 close games (within four points or overtime) in the last 12 months. While most of our fans think we are a poor free throw shooting team, the fact is MU is an excellent free throw shooting team, and rarely misses one until the legs are very dead at the end of games. The fact is while we missed two key one-and-ones against WVU, we hit exactly what you'd expect, 8 of 12 free throws in that game (the national average is 68.5%). Against Nova, people went crazy because Lazar only hit one of two on one trip near the end, but the fact is MU went 21 of 26 for the game, three more than average, so we can't blame the loss on that. In fact, right now MU is hitting free throws at a 73.1% clip, 51st best of 347 Division 1 teams, so I believe we've just had some bad bounces and this will even out if we are close at the end Wednesday and pull out a narrow win. If Buzz came get just a few more minutes out of the three big guys (Fulce, Mbao and Williams), I believe we will finally have the legs to start winning evenly matched games.

Ludum habemus.

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
Great article
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Man, I wish that guy wrote for us!

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
www.crackedsidewalks.com, the greatest Marquette hoops blog in the universe

Someone should make t-shirts

hoyasincebirth

• Team Captain
What gives? It's the day before the game and there's no pregame discussion. Where is everybody?

Golden Avalanche

• All American
What gives? It's the day before the game and there's no pregame discussion. Where is everybody?

Choking in two straight games will dampen most enthusiasm.

tower912

• All American
We have a pretty good idea of who you are, we have a pretty good idea of who we are.   We haven't developed a good hate for you guys yet, as you're another cool Jesuit school with a great baskteball tradition.   This is our best opportunity for a conference win so far.   We firmly believe that if the team could close games, we would be ranked in the top 20.   We have found ways to lose late leads in 4 or our 5 losses.    Free throws and poor offensive efficiency at the end.    Classes aren't back in, so the BC isn't going to be sold out, which will help you guys.   Should be another well played 37 minutes.    If we are able to finish strong, we win.    If this losing late leads thing is now mental, you guys could pull it out in the last 2 minutes.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American

Lol.  I think it's just gotten monotonous this year.  Here's how it kinda' goes:

----
Q: How are we going to match up with Team X's bigs?
A: We can't, we'll have to play 3 guards and 2 forwards and be in great position for rebounds.

Q: Who will guard their best player?
A1: The MU players on the floor closest to that person's size.  
A2: See A1 for all the other players

Q: What if they play a zone against us?
A: No problem, 3s have been a strength for us this year

Q: What if they clog the lanes?
A: We'll drive into the clog, and create some turnovers.  But mostly we'll try to jack up even more threes.

Q: Tom Crean Sucks!
A: He our 2nd best coach ever, and he didn't leave the cupboard bare.  Tyshawn Taylor Didn't Want to play for Buzz.
A: You're an idiot.
A: Why do we always have to talk about crean?
A: That's a question moron, not an answer.
----

Anyhow, we really do have a good gritty team this year, we're just very limited in our options as far as what we do.  They're going to play hard on D, but good guards and good bigs will probably still score their points.  On 0, we're gonna' shoot 3s, Buycks and DJO will attack the basket occasionally, and Hayward and Butler will clean up anything you let them get their hands on.

I know, it's more complicated than that, but it's not too far from the truth.

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
Lol.  I think it's just gotten monotonous this year.  Here's how it kinda' goes:

----
Q: How are we going to match up with Team X's bigs?
A: We can't, we'll have to play 3 guards and 2 forwards and be in great position for rebounds.

Q: Who will guard their best player?
A1: The MU players on the floor closest to that person's size.  
A2: See A1 for all the other players

Q: What if they play a zone against us?
A: No problem, 3s have been a strength for us this year

Q: What if they clog the lanes?
A: We'll drive into the clog, and create some turnovers.  But mostly we'll try to jack up even more threes.

Q: Tom Crean Sucks!
A: He our 2nd best coach ever, and he didn't leave the cupboard bare.  Tyshawn Taylor Didn't Want to play for Buzz.
A: You're an idiot.
A: Why do we always have to talk about crean?
A: That's a question moron, not an answer.
----

Anyhow, we really do have a good gritty team this year, we're just very limited in our options as far as what we do.  They're going to play hard on D, but good guards and good bigs will probably still score their points.  On 0, we're gonna' shoot 3s, Buycks and DJO will attack the basket occasionally, and Hayward and Butler will clean up anything you let them get their hands on.

I know, it's more complicated than that, but it's not too far from the truth.

+10  Thanks, RW.
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
OK Hoya, how about this...GEORGETOWN SUCKS!  >:(

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Hoya, one other thing to mention, I see a couple of people at hoyatalk have mentioned your height advantage.  Of course, to that I'd say look at how we played FSU (in Florida nonetheless - yes I realize we lost):

http://statsheet.com/mcb/games/2009/11/29/marquette-56-florida-state-57

FSU plays with a much better effective height than Georgetown...and they are #1 in Average height.

http://kenpom.com/team.php?team=Florida%20St.

So, I'm just saying that's not a good reason to think it's much of an advantage  :)

« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 11:55:47 PM by rocky_warrior »

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
I saw Greg Monroe play in Anaheim and I can tell you that he's an active body. Takes it more to the hole than the FSU big men.

If Monroe is going to be a pain in the butt, I expect a bigger game from 6-9 Julian Vaughn, who will dominate the weak side as we double Monroe.

If it's not Vaughn with the big game, I think Freeman will have a big game from downtown.

Also, I expect to see some back door cuts similar to what WV threw at us.
SS Marquette

hoyasincebirth

• Team Captain
OK Hoya, how about this...GEORGETOWN SUCKS!  >:(

Marquette is evil and must be destroyed  8-) yeah I went there.

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
Marquette is evil and must be destroyed yeah I went there.

Hoya since birth you must have been one ugly baby
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

hoyasincebirth

• Team Captain
There's that energy I was hoping for. Come on this is a big east game. There should be some hatred. I'm very pleased that you guys have done decently so far this year. I was afraid with the loss of Crean the year before and the big 3 this year that marquette would fall off the map and do damage to the Basketball only schools in the Big East. As long as Georgetown, Nova, and Marquette stay near the top of the league a split is much less likely.

According to Vegas you guys are a 2.5pt favorite. Which is pretty much just home court advantage. It will be a battle. I can't wait. 

LON

• All American

Hoya since birth you must have been one ugly baby

Bulldogs are the cutest as puppies, it's when they get older and start slobbering everywhere when they aren't so great-looking.  Then you gotta start cleaning out the jowls, gross stuff.

LON

• All American
There's that energy I was hoping for. Come on this is a big east game. There should be some hatred. I'm very pleased that you guys have done decently so far this year. I was afraid with the loss of Crean the year before and the big 3 this year that marquette would fall off the map and do damage to the Basketball only schools in the Big East. As long as Georgetown, Nova, and Marquette stay near the top of the league a split is much less likely.

According to Vegas you guys are a 2.5pt favorite. Which is pretty much just home court advantage. It will be a battle. I can't wait. 

I liked it when you could hear "We are Marquette" during the end of the game at G'Town last year...

Lighthouse 84

• All American
That really was a great article....taking me back to the early 80's when we'd bar hop from OD's, to the Lanche, to the Gym, to State House and Good Times and of course, the free block partys...until 1984 when Mike Paas led the penny revolt when MU decided they should charge a quarter for a beer!
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
Marquette is evil and must be destroyed  8-) yeah I went there.

Wait, you went to Marquette?  Did you mean for your ID to be "Ringoutahoyasincebirth"?

Gtown backcourt TOs or Wright points....  which number is higher?  My money is on the turnovers.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

MU B2002

• All American

(tumbleweed rolls through postgame discussion)

;)
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
tumbleweed through postgame discussion
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2010, 09:50:59 AM »
I think the problem was that people couldn't log on after the game last night - at least I tried several times and couldn't.  I also believe we were so happy and relieved to have gotten the monkey off the back by pulling out a tight win against a ranked team, that it was one big exhale.  Honestly I don't know what I would have typed last night - I couldn't put my happiness into words - and as you can see from the interview - I'm rarely at a loss for words.  Oh yeah, and five minutes after the game a pipe busted in the 19 degree weather - IN ALABAMA - so I was digging for valves to cut off.
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

MU B2002

• All American
Re: tumbleweed through postgame discussion
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2010, 09:53:16 AM »
Oh yeah, and five minutes after the game a pipe busted in the 19 degree weather - IN ALABAMA - so I was digging for valves to cut off.

Yikes.  Sorry to hear that.  Up in Nashville, I was prepping for the incoming "blizzard" and the 1-3" of snow that never came.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

LON

• All American
Re: tumbleweed through postgame discussion
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2010, 09:55:44 AM »
Yikes.  Sorry to hear that.  Up in Nashville, I was prepping for the incoming "blizzard" and the 1-3" of snow that never came.

It took me over an hour to get from downtown MKE this morning to the Zoo interchange...

feedback