Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Let's Think Rationally About This...  (Read 22001 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Let's Think Rationally About This...
« on: January 02, 2010, 06:11:17 PM »
The Warriors boil down to 7 players. Consisting of 4 guards and 3 forwards. In that mix are 2 undersized guards, 2 newcomers, 1 dude who was hurt last season, and only 1 senior leader. In this post, I won't rag on the former coach who left the cupboard bare.
Buzz is getting the max out of the Marquette 7. It's amazing we're even able to bitch about the near wins. This team should be getting their collective asses handed to them. Getting 2 BE ready players with the remaining scholarships, coupled with a healthy Otule and Jr., then bring in Vander and crew; well, I'm optimistic.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Keeyan Half Court Dunks

• Walk-On
Re: Let's Think Rationally About This...
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 06:17:29 PM »
I could not agree more

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 06:27:20 PM »
I agree, but it is still extremely frustrating losing these games.

To further your point, our 7 man rotation consists of

1 miniature PG
1 miniature SG posing as a PG
2 SG
3 SF

I thought the 12th place prediction was right when we had a healthy Maymon and Otule.  I am amazed at how well these guys battle.  I know we keep blowing these games at the end, but these guys really compete.  I hope they can keep their heads up all season.  If they don't (or can't) continue giving max effort every game this season could end badly.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 06:30:22 PM »
The Warriors boil down to 7 players. Consisting of 4 guards and 3 forwards. In that mix are 2 undersized guards, 2 newcomers, 1 dude who was hurt last season, and only 1 senior leader. In this post, I won't rag on the former coach who left the cupboard bare.
Buzz is getting the max out of the Marquette 7. It's amazing we're even able to bitch about the near wins. This team should be getting their collective asses handed to them. Getting 2 BE ready players with the remaining scholarships, coupled with a healthy Otule and Jr., then bring in Vander and crew; well, I'm optimistic.

Post of the year.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 06:33:25 PM »

I completely agree with you.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 06:41:11 PM »

Getting the two BE ready players with the open scholarships is the key.  Where will they come from.

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 06:51:28 PM »
It's amazing that we've been so competitive vs. quality teams.  Tremendous effort in a rebuilding year!
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 06:57:11 PM »
+1

I couldn't have said it any better.

patso

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 06:57:46 PM »
To me it's been an enjoyable season and we will yet win some big games.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, 07:16:41 PM »
It is good that DJO, Byucks, and Butler are getting crunch time experience.  They have never been asked to play roles like this in crunch time at the high D1 level and to be honest it really shows. 

It is only January and most of us expected 4 or 5 losses by now anyway, so we are on track or even better. 

The schedule should get easier, and you never know, maybe Mboa and Williams will be able to give a few minutes by the end of the month.  Hopefully Buycks and DJO will give a little bit more consistent performances too.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 07:25:44 PM »

Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting this.  I drove up from Chicago to see the game, and I tell you - our team is one tough bunch of guys who never quit.  They have played TWO Top 10 teams this week, and lost both by a total of 3 points.

Color me impressed.  Thanks again for posting this spot on description and putting things in perspective. :)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 07:38:43 PM by Daniel »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, 07:35:04 PM »
Post of the year.

Lenny man, the year is only 2 days old. Give me more props. How 'bout "post of the decade?" ;D
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

warriorfred

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2010, 07:48:35 PM »
While I agree with the post, the next rationale questions is why we don't see more of the bench?

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2010, 07:50:26 PM »
While I agree with the post, the next rationale questions is why we don't see more of the bench?

"redacted"

"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2010, 08:10:43 PM »

I'm very optimistic as well....they're playing their hearts out and Buzz is doing a wonderful job....I still disagree with the cupboard bare comments...this team with TT, TW, SC, TM wou8"ld not have lost these last games and the team would have had additional talent all over the place (including not having to play a 5'8 PG that may minutes...though I am glad that Buzz begged him back because as you state, rationally, we would be even worse if he hadn't).  They didn't want to play for Buzz Williams, that's just the way it goes but if they had, MU would be winning these games.

Let's hope Buzz can fill those last few spots and avoid the injury bug in the future.  Still very frustrating to see us compete like we do for 38 or 39 minutes and come up with a loss because we can't seem to close teams out.

El Duderino

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2010, 08:29:04 PM »
I'm very optimistic as well....they're playing their hearts out and Buzz is doing a wonderful job....I still disagree with the cupboard bare comments...this team with TT, TW, SC, TM wou8"ld not have lost these last games and the team would have had additional talent all over the place (including not having to play a 5'8 PG that may minutes...though I am glad that Buzz begged him back because as you state, rationally, we would be even worse if he hadn't).  They didn't want to play for Buzz Williams,that's just the way it goes but if they had, MU would be winning these games.

Let's hope Buzz can fill those last few spots and avoid the injury bug in the future.  Still very frustrating to see us compete like we do for 38 or 39 minutes and come up with a loss because we can't seem to close teams out.

What was Buzz supposed to do, defy the odds that nearly every new coach faces in that players transfer or decommit when the head coach that signed them leaves for a different job?

Some players may sign to play for a certain university, but many sign first to play for the head coach who recruited them and the university second. The Taylor loss was the only really big one, but him leaving once Cream bolted his pretty common in situations like that. Taylor signed with Marquette to play for Crean, not Buzz.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2010, 08:43:05 PM »

Dude, what bench would that be? We ain't got no bench.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2010, 09:33:51 PM »

Because we're not building comfortable leads late in the second half.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

96warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2010, 09:40:09 PM »
Thanks for the reminder. This actually made me realize I am watching this season's games with the expectations of last season's team. It is really exciting to see us be truly competitive against big teams (rankings-wise and literal height-wise). Just hope these guys can keep their heads up after these heartbreakers and learn from each game, win or lose. (I'm talking to you, Buycks, and learning to shoot more quickly when we have less than 3 seconds to get a shot off...)

the effort these guys put forth is admirable and worthy of the Marquette legacy. Hope we do get some good wins in and make it to the NCAA tourney so Hayward can end his college career in the dance.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2010, 09:43:46 PM »
This is right on. The story here is not that MU is losing close games as some people seem to want to think it is. The story is that MU has been able to hang with teams that are significantly better and deeper than they are. We have no business playing with Villanova, or WVU on the road, let alone beating them. I realize a FT or two here and there would have resulted in wins, but even being in a position to win those games is frankly an accomplishment for this group.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2010, 10:21:18 PM »
What was Buzz supposed to do, defy the odds that nearly every new coach faces in that players transfer or decommit when the head coach that signed them leaves for a different job?

Some players may sign to play for a certain university, but many sign first to play for the head coach who recruited them and the university second. The Taylor loss was the only really big one, but him leaving once Cream bolted his pretty common in situations like that. Taylor signed with Marquette to play for Crean, not Buzz.

Like I said, it is what is.  The same thing will happen when Buzz leaves, players will go elsewhere.  My only point is that it's silly to say the cupboard was bare....it wasn't, they just chose not to play for MU and Buzz.  That's a big difference in my mind.

To me, to say the cupboard is bare is an example of when Mike Deane left...that's having the cupboard bare.  A few decent players but nothing to write home about and we WANTED players to transfer.  Same when KO came in....we WANTED players to transfer for upgrades.  When TC left, we DID NOT want players to transfer because they were talented players...thus, the cupboard not being bare just by definition.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2010, 10:23:14 PM »
Question: Rationally, who is responsible and accountable for the product out on the floor?

Excuses are like an anatomical part--every one has one.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2010, 10:27:35 PM »
This is right on. The story here is not that MU is losing close games as some people seem to want to think it is. The story is that MU has been able to hang with teams that are significantly better and deeper than they are. We have no business playing with Villanova, or WVU on the road, let alone beating them. I realize a FT or two here and there would have resulted in wins, but even being in a position to win those games is frankly an accomplishment for this group.

Hmmm...interesting.  I guess it depends on how you view it. I'd say "hanging" with a team means being within striking range the whole game and coming up short.  What's frustrating with these games is that MU is leading most of the games or at the end (FSU, Nova, WVU) only to stop executing at the end.  I'd argue we're doing more than hanging with them, we are doing enough to win the games but fall short at crunch time.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2010, 10:29:59 PM »
I forget, other than Trevor, Crean left Buzz how many players over 6'6" to work with?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2010, 10:33:25 PM »
I forget, other than Trevor, Crean left Buzz how many players over 6'6" to work with?

I believe that was the only one....but he left him with a guard that starts currently for the #1 team in the country.  In my mind, our weakest play right now is at the point guard position which is the MOST IMPORTANT position in college basketball.

Height is wonderful, but you can win without height in college.