Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 10:48:14 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[Today at 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[Today at 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[Today at 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting News  (Read 8399 times)

The Pickle

• Team Captain
Recruiting News
« on: December 19, 2009, 10:00:27 PM »
Where do you guys get your updated recruit information?  I only use ESPN but know there must be more up to date information about guys we are interested in.  Any suggestions?

The Pickle

• Team Captain
Re: Recruiting News
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 10:09:49 PM »
Looks like it is down to us and Dayton for Xavier Jones...

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 10:31:25 PM »
Xavier Jones

Does he pronounce his name properly as in the protege of Ignatius Loyola or does he pronounce it like the kid from KU - "Za Vee A"

Give me a friggin break...Za Vee A. Reminds me of an Air Force Lt stationed at Kadena AB, Okinawa. I saw her first name was Marquette so I naturally asked about it. She informed me her name was pronounced, Mar Kway." I told her about Fr Marquette and the university but she had no clue - I might has well have been talking to our black lab.There are more horses' asses in the world than horses

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 10:32:16 PM »

Who is Xavier Jones?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 10:33:28 PM »
The Pickle - Xavier Jones is nobody. 
Mid-major?  Maybe, maybe not.

Your source is not good.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

The Pickle

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 10:55:14 PM »
The Pickle - Xavier Jones is nobody. 
Mid-major?  Maybe, maybe not.

Your source is not good.

I wasn't asking how good he was.  I was saying he is one recruit we are interested in who may sign soon as it is down to only 2 teams.  My comment on Jones and the initial question of sources for recruiting are two entirely separate issues.  My source for the info on Jones happens to be ESPN.  They are generally pretty reliable aren't they?

5YearsatMU

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 11:04:29 PM »
  My source for the info on Jones happens to be ESPN.  They are generally pretty reliable aren't they?

No, not really. 

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2009, 11:37:42 PM »
I wasn't asking how good he was.  I was saying he is one recruit we are interested in who may sign soon as it is down to only 2 teams.  My comment on Jones and the initial question of sources for recruiting are two entirely separate issues.  My source for the info on Jones happens to be ESPN.  They are generally pretty reliable aren't they?

I didn't tell you how good he was. 

He is not a recruit we are interested in and "it" is not down to only 2 teams. 

That should answer your question.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2009, 01:18:40 AM »
Xavier Jones

Does he pronounce his name properly as in the protege of Ignatius Loyola or does he pronounce it like the kid from KU - "Za Vee A"

Give me a friggin break...Za Vee A. Reminds me of an Air Force Lt stationed at Kadena AB, Okinawa. I saw her first name was Marquette so I naturally asked about it. She informed me her name was pronounced, Mar Kway." I told her about Fr Marquette and the university but she had no clue - I might has well have been talking to our black lab. There are more horses' asses in the world than horses

Culturally speaking, Xavier has many different pronunciations.
In Spanish-speaking countries, it ranges from zha-vee-yer to ha-vee-yer (with alternate spelling of Javier).
In English-speaking countries, it's ex-zay-vee-yer.
In French-speaking countries, it's zha-vee-eay (with possible "r" at the end).

I know how annoying it can get with people who take traditional names and screw with the spelling and pronunciations. However, the native language and culture can influence it.
SS Marquette

nyg

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2009, 07:08:05 AM »

Jones is a 6ft 3in SG.  Don't believe Buzz is looking at anyone for that position considering the roster and height they are lacking.

The Pickle

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2009, 08:44:17 AM »

Actually, you said "...Xavier Jones is nobody". That's not commenting on how good he is?  I don't personally care whether we are or aren't interested in him, but how are you so sure we aren't?

The Pickle

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2009, 08:55:06 AM »
Jones is a 6ft 3in SG.  Don't believe Buzz is looking at anyone for that position considering the roster and height they are lacking.

He is listed as a point guard.  I'm not sure we need another PG as we will hopefully have Cadougan healthy next year and then we also have Reggie Smith coming in as well.  http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=44409&season=2010

The Pickle

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2009, 08:58:38 AM »
NYG, I see rivals has him listed as a SG.  You are right that we have quite a bit of depth at that spot in Buycks, DJO, and Williams, but if we can't recruit a decent big man we are going to have to continue to play small in which case the depth would help.

The Pickle

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2009, 08:59:25 AM »

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Xavier-Jones-82989  If we aren't interested in him, why did we make him an offer?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2009, 01:10:38 PM »
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Xavier-Jones-82989  If we aren't interested in him, why did we make him an offer?

Dude, give it a rest. 

Look at the calendar - it's December.  I didn't say we were never interested in him - I said we are not interested in him (in response to your claim that Xavier Jones was either Dayton or Marquette bound). 

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2009, 01:12:26 PM »
When Reggie Smith signed any chance Jones had of ending up at MU went out the window.

We are set at guard for next year unless someone doesn't qualify.

lj854

• Walk-On
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2009, 02:10:07 PM »
*Shakes head*

For how much most on here seem to passionately hate Scout - the fact is that's where the best MU recruiting info is found hands down.

Josey Wales

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2009, 02:27:16 PM »
*Shakes head*

For how much most on here seem to passionately hate Scout - the fact is that's where the best MU recruiting info is found hands down.

perhaps the free board, but i think most agree the "premium" board is worthless and a complete waste of money
BEARS STILL SUCK

Hey Vikings, I like what you've done with the basement.

"Lazar Hayward. The L stands for leader, and the W stands for winner, Lazar Hayward is a winner."

Rockmic87

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2009, 03:41:26 PM »
I think we should get smaller and smaller, since MU cannot recruit any bigs! Are there any players Ackers size or shorter available? ;D

MrRivals150

• Scholarship Player
  • MARQ bball, the real bball team of the state
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2009, 04:14:45 PM »

True, the next recruit has to be 6'8'' or higher
Clay for Heisman 2010, Buzz for Recruiter of the year

muball

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2009, 06:00:03 PM »
we had Liam who went down to health issues, Chris to foot issues  and still have Mbao, all this in less then two full years. Snake bit we are, but Buzz recruited more height then TC did in his time, yes they are young and need to develop but he has gotten some size.

soloWarrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2009, 06:56:39 PM »
Xavier Jones

Give me a friggin break...Za Vee A. Reminds me of an Air Force Lt stationed at Kadena AB, Okinawa. I saw her first name was Marquette so I naturally asked about it. She informed me her name was pronounced, Mar Kway." I told her about Fr Marquette and the university but she had no clue - I might has well have been talking to our black lab.There are more horses' asses in the world than horses

warthog...I enjoy your comments and poetry. anywho, my girlfriend and her entire damn family went to ku. here's the ku alumni explanation for the "Za Vee A" pronounciation....
-on a cold night in belgium in march of the year 1991, xavier henry was birthed into the world. his mother and father (both KU grads) praised the basketball gods for his healthy arrival. after much discourse, the parents chose the name "Xavier" for the hard-court infant. a flemish nurse presented the child to the yank couple and pronounced (or mispronounced), "here is little Za Vee A".  the mother took the new-born gaurd into her arms and said, "yes, Za Vee A, I will call him Za Vee A from hereforward". 

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2009, 07:07:49 PM »
Xavier Jones

How dare she not pernounce her name the way you would like, or know the history of Fr Marquette and our university ?-(

MUrugger

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2009, 11:35:51 PM »
I don't think "pernounce"and "our University" should appear in the same sentence...teal, golden, red...whatever... :-[

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2009, 12:31:03 AM »
warthog...I enjoy your comments and poetry. anywho, my girlfriend and her entire damn family went to ku. here's the ku alumni explanation for the "Za Vee A" pronounciation....
-on a cold night in belgium in march of the year 1991, xavier henry was birthed into the world. his mother and father (both KU grads) praised the basketball gods for his healthy arrival. after much discourse, the parents chose the name "Xavier" for the hard-court infant. a flemish nurse presented the child to the yank couple and pronounced (or mispronounced), "here is little Za Vee A".  the mother took the new-born gaurd into her arms and said, "yes, Za Vee A, I will call him Za Vee A from hereforward". 

If true then this is a great story and I will embrace the unusual pronounciation of his name. Now, what if the nurse has been a Walloon rather than a Flem?

soloWarrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2009, 12:08:29 PM »
If true then this is a great story and I will embrace the unusual pronounciation of his name. Now, what if the nurse has been a Walloon rather than a Flem?

warthog...I'm as serious as a heart attack...my girl and her family are still very much involved at ku.  she had a chance to meet with the b-ball team this summer...she spoke extensively to Xavier (Za vee A)...she described him as intelligent and humble...this was his pronounciation and explanation.

xavier didn't go into detail re the nurse...she may have well have been a frog

hdog1017

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2009, 03:41:46 PM »
we had Liam who went down to health issues, Chris to foot issues  and still have Mbao, all this in less then two full years. Snake bit we are, but Buzz recruited more height then TC did in his time, yes they are young and need to develop but he has gotten some size.

Don't forget Monterale Clark , but he got rapey.  
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 03:45:35 PM by hdog1017 »

Mobot

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2009, 03:50:32 PM »
Don't forget Monterale Clark , but he got rapey.  

Roseboro was also considered a big.  Had he stuck around, I wonder if he would be getting playing time right now...   ?-(

MUFan11

• Walk-On
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2009, 07:13:10 PM »
Any chance that we land Maurice Walker... hes a pretty good C

mufansince72

• Starter
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2009, 07:20:46 PM »
Roseboro was also considered a big.  Had he stuck around, I wonder if he would be getting playing time right now...   ?-(

5 points this season.  He is out with appendix problems I believe

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2009, 07:44:04 PM »
5 points this season.  He is out with appendix problems I believe

Not 5... *** 7 *** !!!

He's averaging a 1-1.  1.0 ppg, 1.1 rpg.  But, dude's been hurt. 

feedback