[Today at 12:47:11 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MuMark
[Today at 11:42:11 AM]

2025 Bracketology by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 09:46:57 AM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by MUbiz
[Today at 08:06:43 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Dan Needles on ESPN 540 Today: If Jeronne Maymon ever makes the NBA...  (Read 13758 times)

cirella09

• Walk-On
Dan Needles on ESPN 540 Today: "If Jeronne Maymon ever makes the NBA... I will eat my dirty shorts for a week straight.  He is a fat, unathletic, quitter...good luck with the rest of your life..."  Are you kidding me?

He was just tearin Jmay apart! I mean yes, I'm surprised and upset he is leaving us high and dry...but I think theres much more to come with this story.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
Re: Dan Needles on ESPN 540 Today: If Jeronne Maymon ever makes the NBA...
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 12:06:31 PM »
Dan Needles on ESPN 540 Today: "If Jeronne Maymon ever makes the NBA... I will eat my dirty shorts for a week straight.  He is a fat, unathletic, quitter...good luck with the rest of your life..."  Are you kidding me?

He was just tearin Jmay apart! I mean yes, I'm surprised and upset he is leaving us high and dry...but I think theres much more to come with this story.

I don't. I have a hard time finding anywhere Needles is off base. Fat and unathletic may be a touch strong, but he has about as much chance of being a productive high major SG/SF as I do.

Jam Chowder

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 12:17:32 PM »

I don't. I have a hard time finding anywhere Needles is off base. Fat and unathletic may be a touch strong, but he has about as much chance of being a productive high major SG/SF as I do.

Really? A touch strong? You don't find that entirely inappropriate? You really don't? I have a hard time understanding how spewing that type of crap is acceptable in a professional sports talk environment. Saying that stuff about a collegiate amateur athlete is reprehensible at best.

There is nothing even remotely justifiable in that quote. I hope that this schmuck has no connections to Marquette. If he does I will be severly embarassed.

Needles should be publicly reprimanded a la Imus on this one, and should have to issue an apology. There is nothing, and I cannot emphasize that word enough, acceptable, noble, funny, warranted, etc. about this kind of GARBAGE.

LON

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 12:26:20 PM »
I caught part of the D-List while going to lunch and I walked in on him saying his gift to Jeronne is one giant box of pamperin...(or something to that effect)

I chuckled at that one.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 12:28:16 PM »
Yeah...... this seems a little over the top to talk about a college athlete like that.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 12:29:45 PM »
It's Needles. It's 540. Needles epitomizes amateur-hour. Not quite as much as Homer's show, but close.  

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 12:31:34 PM »
That's really amateur stuff right there. I don't think he should necessarily have to be reprimanded for it, but how unprofessional is that??  Nobody even has all of the facts in and nobody knows what Buzz may or may not have promised this kid.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 12:33:03 PM »
If he had said "overweight" instead of "fat" I think it would have been fine. He is rather unathletic and he did quit the team.

And Mbao has a better shot at the NBA

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 12:35:08 PM »
So a guy giving an opinion on an opinion show is unprofessional, and should be reprimanded? Good grief people. Get a grip.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 12:40:58 PM »
Judging by this recap, Needles definitely leaves out the positives with this kid and how he could be a great college player.

That said, hundreds of players have a better shot than Maymon right now and he just doesnt have the build for the NBA.

And I don't think amateur athletes on scholarship should be off limits. They are adults. If you feel that way, then there shouldn't be any coverage at all because it would be unethical to only say positive fluff. That wouldn't be journalism.

Jam Chowder

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 12:48:43 PM »
So a guy giving an opinion on an opinion show is unprofessional, and should be reprimanded? Good grief people. Get a grip.

No, a man that uses his position of relative power to rip on the character and weight of a 19 year-old student the way that he did is unprofessional, and he absolutely should be called out for it. He is publicly defaming the image of a young student-athlete, one who was not there to defend himself.

And I don't think amateur athletes on scholarship should be off limits. They are adults. If you feel that way, then there shouldn't be any coverage at all because it would be unethical to only say positive fluff. That wouldn't be journalism.

1. I didn't say that negativity is off-limits. Just fat jokes and character attacks. That's not journalism. If you think it is, you need a conscience.

2. Translated: "He's an adult and should suck it up." I wonder if that's how you'd feel if it were you or your family member being torn up on the radio by a senseless talk show host without an opportunity to respond.

LON

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009, 12:52:11 PM »
No, a man that uses his position of relative power to rip on the character and weight of a 19 year-old student the way that he did is unprofessional, and he absolutely should be called out for it. He is publicly defaming the image of a young student-athlete, one who was not there to defend himself.

1. I didn't say that negativity is off-limits. Just fat jokes and character attacks. That's not journalism. If you think it is, you need a conscience.

2. Translated: "He's an adult and should suck it up." I wonder if that's how you'd feel if it were you or your family member being torn up on the radio by a senseless talk show host without an opportunity to respond.

How is the D-List journalism?  I don't necessarily disagree with what you're saying, but I don't see how you can connect them.

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2009, 12:55:13 PM »

19 is very much an adult.  I may not agree with him the host, but the kid is inviting commentary and criticism by putting himself out there for it

Jam Chowder

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2009, 12:58:30 PM »
How is the D-List journalism?  I don't necessarily disagree with what you're saying, but I don't see how you can connect them.

See the post I quoted from martyconlon in which it was referred to as journalism. I clarified that it's also not journalism to attack Jmay in the manner that he did.

They are adults. If you feel that way, then there shouldn't be any coverage at all because it would be unethical to only say positive fluff. That wouldn't be journalism.

LON

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2009, 01:02:45 PM »
See the post I quoted from martyconlon in which it was referred to as journalism. I clarified that it's also not journalism to attack Jmay in the manner that he did.

Got it, my mistake.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2009, 01:24:47 PM »
Nothing like being offended on the behalf of another....

Shack

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2009, 01:29:23 PM »
Really? A touch strong? You don't find that entirely inappropriate? You really don't? I have a hard time understanding how spewing that type of crap is acceptable in a professional sports talk environment. Saying that stuff about a collegiate amateur athlete is reprehensible at best.

There is nothing even remotely justifiable in that quote. I hope that this schmuck has no connections to Marquette. If he does I will be severly embarassed.

Needles should be publicly reprimanded a la Imus on this one, and should have to issue an apology. There is nothing, and I cannot emphasize that word enough, acceptable, noble, funny, warranted, etc. about this kind of GARBAGE.

Give me a break.  Reprehensible?? What world do you live in man?  Are you serious?  If Maymon is guilty of quitting on the team he has every right to be called out for it regardless if he’s an amateur athlete or not.   And being called out it includes being insulted by the press -  just like he insulted the program with his selfish behavior (if Rosiak’s latest report is true).    And to call Needles a schmuck for offering a strong, negative opinion about an athlete (collegiate or not) is just plain ignorant.  Do you even listen to sports talk shows?  This isn’t anything new.  What is reprehensible is comparing Needles to Imus.  He made no racial slur whatsoever.  Needles did not  cross any line.   He’s paid to give an opinion about athletes and their behaviors.  And quitting on your team is a gutless selfish act regardless if your status is professional or an amateur.  Boo hoo if he called him fat in the process.  Get a clue buddy.    

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2009, 01:31:12 PM »
Its sports radio in Milwaukee which doesn't have too many teams to speak about.

I think its fair to see this moron said this to get more people to listen to his show whether they like what he said or not a la Jim Rome. People like this guy who spout off do so and get away with it because nobody listens to them.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 01:41:33 PM by damuts222 »
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

mu89

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2009, 01:31:58 PM »
Give me a break.  Reprehensible?? What world do you live in man?  Are you serious?  If Maymon is guilty of quitting on the team he has every right to be called out for it regardless if he’s an amateur athlete or not.   And being called out it includes being insulted by the press -  just like he insulted the program with his selfish behavior (if Rosiak’s latest report is true).    And to call Needles a schmuck for offering a strong, negative opinion about an athlete (collegiate or not) is just plain ignorant.  Do you even listen to sports talk shows?  This isn’t anything new.  What is reprehensible is comparing Needles to Imus.  He made no racial slur whatsoever.  Needles did not  cross any line.   He’s paid to give an opinion about athletes and their behaviors.  And quitting on your team is a gutless selfish act regardless if your status is professional or an amateur.  Boo hoo if he called him fat in the process.  Get a clue buddy.    

+1!

bs4173

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2009, 02:01:27 PM »
What if J-May were 40? And a man?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoMmbUmKN0E

Point is, journalists are loudmouthed and controversial because that's what gives them an audience. Listen to 10 min of nearly any sports opinion show and you'll hear it. Certainly, I think Needles was off-base, but in no way am I surprised.

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2009, 02:02:06 PM »
Couldn't have said it better Shack.......No room for quitters on in my book

LON

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2009, 02:06:22 PM »
Since the "I'm a man, I'm 40" video got posted, I feel this one can be applicable as well...

Does he not know that this is Division 1 and not intramurals, brother!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF9jh4xALxE

Jam Chowder

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2009, 02:09:19 PM »
Give me a break.  Reprehensible?? What world do you live in man?  Are you serious?  1. If Maymon is guilty of quitting on the team he has every right to be called out for it regardless if he’s an amateur athlete or not.   And being called out it includes being 2. insulted by the press -  just like he insulted the program with his selfish behavior (if Rosiak’s latest report is true).    And to call Needles a schmuck for offering a strong, negative opinion about an athlete (collegiate or not) is just plain 3. ignorant4. Do you even listen to sports talk shows?  This isn’t anything new.  What is reprehensible is comparing Needles to Imus.  He made no racial slur whatsoever.  Needles did not  cross any line.   He’s paid to give an opinion about athletes and their behaviors.  5. And quitting on your team is a gutless selfish act regardless if your status is professional or an amateur.  Boo hoo if he called him fat in the process.  6. Get a clue buddy.   

1. You hit it right on the head. If he did, calling him out is appropriate (calling him fat is not calling him out, btw). If something else happened, and Jmay had a legitimate reason (not saying I know what that might be, but it is possible) for leaving, then you, Needles, and everyone else has a nice helping of crow to eat. Again, this highlights why self-control would not be a bad thing until the truth surfaces.

2. Does it really? What about living in the public eye legitimizes personal attacks like that? Just because it happens doesn't mean it is morally defensible.

3. So I'm ignorant for offering an opinion? I would hope that I don't need to explain why this argument is self defeating, but because you actually said it, I will. To translate this comment:

• Me: Needles opinion is irresponsible
  • You: Your opinion is irresponsible

GOOD ONE. Ad hominem arguments are not legitimate refutations.

4. Yes. That doesn't mean I condone inappropriate comments any more than standing on a beach makes me a palm tree.

5. Agreed, but since you already admitted you don't know that he did, it's ignorant and irresponsible to peg him for it and attack him because of it.

6. Get an argument.

Jam Chowder

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2009, 02:11:25 PM »
Couldn't have said it better Shack.......No room for quitters on in my book

Only Sith deal in absolutes.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 02:20:40 PM by BirkieWarrior »