Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Has Buzz lost control?  (Read 11606 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Has Buzz lost control? No...but he does have a flaw...
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2009, 02:50:44 PM »
Here is the problem with Buzz.

At best I'm not sure his mind and his mouth are connected - at worst he might be a snake-oil salesman  This is the second recruit from this freshman class that was supposedly promised something that was not delivered.  Roseboro transferred early for whatever reason.  Maymon is seemingly transferring now. 

Add this to some of his other "shoot from the hip" verbal remarks, such as the "We are no longer recruiting Jamil Wilson" debacle, and the run in with Jim McIlvaine, and it makes me wonder if this guy really thinks thoroughly about what he says to people before he actually says them.

Take any of these incidents alone, and they call all be explained away.  Add them together and a pattern emerges.  (And I would add the dropping out of the UNO job as well.)

I don't like what I see here.

MUfan12

• All American
Re: Has Buzz lost control?
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2009, 03:00:37 PM »
Not sure how bringing up UNO helps your argument. They're talking about dropping to D3. There was no commitment to athletics there.

If you knew what happened with that recruitment, and how much the Wilson's vacillated, you would understand why MU ultimately took someone else for that spot.

You do not know what was said. You've only read one side of the story with Roseboro and Maymon.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2009, 03:08:45 PM »
Not sure how bringing up UNO helps your argument. They're talking about dropping to D3. There was no commitment to athletics there.

If you knew what happened with that recruitment, and how much the Wilson's vacillated, you would understand why MU ultimately took someone else for that spot.

You do not know what was said. You've only read one side of the story with Roseboro and Maymon.

I understand what you are saying...but you are doing exactly what I warned against.  If you make excuses for every incident, you can fail to see the larger trends.

3Mer

• Starter
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2009, 03:12:47 PM »
Take any of these incidents alone, and they call all be explained away.  Add them together and a pattern emerges.  (And I would add the dropping out of the UNO job as well.)

[/quote]

Agreed.  For someone who is supposedly a stickler for details, how could Buzz not know what he was getting into at UNO before signing a contract?  Likewise, how could he not know what he was getting into by offering a scholarship to JM?

While many posters here can explain away all the upheaval in Buzz's young tenure, how does this mess play to potential recruits and incoming commits?  

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2009, 03:15:56 PM »
But how can you ignore them individually? Especially when there's a very viable explanation.

I'll give you the Mac incident. But there is still no way to know what was said during the recruitment.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2009, 03:16:59 PM »

Agreed.  For someone who is supposedly a stickler for details, how could Buzz not know what he was getting into at UNO before signing a contract?  Likewise, how could he not know what he was getting into by offering a scholarship to JM?

While many posters here can explain away all the upheaval in Buzz's young tenure, how does this mess play to potential recruits and incoming commits?  

leaden cloudy sky
masks the movement of the stars
innocence defined

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2009, 03:20:06 PM »
But how can you ignore them individually? Especially when there's a very viable explanation.

I'll give you the Mac incident. But there is still no way to know what was said during the recruitment.

Tim Maymon said right afterwards that he was promised a starting spot and 25-30 minutes a game from the get go.  Has anyone refuted that?

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2009, 03:23:06 PM »

Tim Maymon said right afterwards that he was promised a starting spot and 25-30 minutes a game from the get go.  Has anyone refuted that?

gentle rain nourishes
abundant crop flourishes
grasshoppers' delight

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2009, 03:33:25 PM »

Can a coach refute that? What advantage is gained by refuting that before he even got to campus? Jeronne himself said he would have the chance to start. Sure sounds like Dad heard something different.

It's just like the Jamil Wilson thing, no one from MU is going to come out and say what happened. It'd be PR suicide.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2009, 03:38:38 PM »
Can a coach refute that? What advantage is gained by refuting that before he even got to campus? Jeronne himself said he would have the chance to start. Sure sounds like Dad heard something different.

It's just like the Jamil Wilson thing, no one from MU is going to come out and say what happened. It'd be PR suicide.

twisted words betray
unfulfilled expectation
vanquished dreams below

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2009, 03:43:36 PM »

Tim Maymon said right afterwards that he was promised a starting spot and 25-30 minutes a game from the get go.  Has anyone refuted that?

Just wondering .... but who do you think would refute that?
Do you know many head coaches in the practice of publicly labeling their players' parents as liars?

"We're thrilled to have Jeronne at Marquette," head coach Buzz Williams said. "It's just unfortunate his dad doesn't know what he's talking about."
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 03:48:33 PM by Pakuni »

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2009, 03:48:33 PM »
Do you know many head coaches in the practice of publicly labeling their players' parents as liars?

wizened by the years
judgment clouded and confused
too strong emotions

bma725

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2009, 03:53:03 PM »

Didn't Jeronne himself refute that in a later interview saying he was promised he could compete for a starting spot, not that he was guaranteed one?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2009, 04:41:34 PM »

Not entirely accurate...the D3 drop came very recently as a result of the students not wanting to take a small increase to their student fees.  There was no discussion whatsoever in going to D3, D2 or anywhere else a few years ago.

In fact, until only a few months ago, Geoge Schinn (sp?) was supposed to be a sugar daddy to shepard them through.  Schinn is part owner of the Hornets. 

Now, is the level at MU's level?  Absolutely not.  Were promises made to Buzz about getting their arena fixed after Katrina so they could play ball there in a timely fashion?  Yes, it appears so.

I think most people understand why Buzz left New Orleans, but I think equally most people would also understand how frustrated UNO fans must feel.  As they have expressed on many times, it was a kick to the nuts when they were already down and certainly didn't help their plight which has since led to where they are now....perhaps without a DI athletic program.  All that instability (losing 2 coaches in two years...both taking DI assistant jobs, Katrina, state budget cuts, etc) has not been good for the Privateers.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2009, 04:44:32 PM »

"We're thrilled to have Jeronne at Marquette," head coach Buzz Williams said. "It's just unfortunate his dad doesn't know what he's talking about."

You are absolutely correct, it cannot be refuted but if a parent of a player publicly said that, which he seemed to do, alarm bells should be going off in stereo.  You can't have the players and parents running the ship.  If that's the reason why Buzz cut him loose, I applaud Buzz.  Then again, you have to wonder why he took him in the first place.  It's like the young bride saying she's going to change her man.  Maybe he thought once I get him in here he'll understand and we can change the mentality. 

Who knows, all speculation on my part.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2009, 06:26:10 PM »
Not entirely accurate...the D3 drop came very recently as a result of the students not wanting to take a small increase to their student fees.  There was no discussion whatsoever in going to D3, D2 or anywhere else a few years ago.

In fact, until only a few months ago, Geoge Schinn (sp?) was supposed to be a sugar daddy to shepard them through.  Schinn is part owner of the Hornets. 

Now, is the level at MU's level?  Absolutely not.  Were promises made to Buzz about getting their arena fixed after Katrina so they could play ball there in a timely fashion?  Yes, it appears so.

I think most people understand why Buzz left New Orleans, but I think equally most people would also understand how frustrated UNO fans must feel.  As they have expressed on many times, it was a kick to the nuts when they were already down and certainly didn't help their plight which has since led to where they are now....perhaps without a DI athletic program.  All that instability (losing 2 coaches in two years...both taking DI assistant jobs, Katrina, state budget cuts, etc) has not been good for the Privateers.

the wicked wind blows
devastating hopes and dreams
a leader betrayed

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2009, 07:28:49 PM »
wizened by the years
judgment clouded and confused
too strong emotions

Warthog Driver Boy
Many haikus does employ
Words do not make life.
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2009, 09:13:26 PM »
Warthog Driver Boy
Many haikus does employ
Words do not make life.

living with great zest
what fighter pilots do best
resting from the war

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2009, 09:46:14 PM »
Didn't Jeronne himself refute that in a later interview saying he was promised he could compete for a starting spot, not that he was guaranteed one?

Hmmm....that may be the case.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2009, 11:32:00 PM »

Have to agree with Sultan here.  Apologists can look at each individual situation and make excuses.  Clark, Maymon, and Roseboro have me concerned about a trend as well.  I am not saying I don't like Buzz but I am getting concerned about the recruiting issues.  He will get pass this season because it was supposed to be a rebuilding year anyways.  However, I don't want to hear excuses about Clark, Maymon, injuries, lack of 3-star recruits last minute, et al. next year.  I hope he learns from these recruiting mistakes.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2009, 01:48:26 AM »
By granting him a release, doesn't that allow us to add a player who is eligible for the 2nd semester?
SS Marquette

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2009, 02:51:30 AM »
Has Buzz lost control?

The jury is still out and only people within the program could begin to answer that.

I do think that Buzz is trying to exert control.  Sometimes treating cancer makes the patient sick before he gets better.  I guess we'll have to wait and see if that analogy is accurate.

What MU needs now is for Lazar and Jimmy to take control and pull this team together.  This season could be make or break for MU.  We are going to take our lumps this year.  We can come out of this stronger and better off or this thing could spiral out of control.

LON

• All American
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2009, 09:25:08 AM »
By granting him a release, doesn't that allow us to add a player who is eligible for the 2nd semester?

Niv Berkowitz II?
Hope he is better than him
We can only dream

/my first Haiku since 5th grade, I apologize. Just trying to catch the Warthog train

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2009, 09:29:00 AM »

We already had a scholarship space available with the Roseboro transfer.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2009, 09:37:41 AM »
when an inn has room
make sure all guests are happy
the path is two-way

feedback