* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Oso Article by Jay Bee
[Today at 09:09:48 PM]

узнать больше by tower912
[Today at 09:08:41 PM]

More conference realignment talk by WhiteTrash
[Today at 09:02:22 PM]

What do Wisconsinites call people from Illinois? by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 07:45:52 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by brewcity77
[Today at 07:43:01 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by lawdog77
[Today at 05:12:30 PM]

MU all-time defensive team? by Zog from Margo
[Today at 11:09:40 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: My Starting Line-Up  (Read 2576 times)

GGGG

• All American
My Starting Line-Up
« on: December 14, 2009, 08:48:46 AM »
I really don't understand why Buzz started a line-up with three players (Acker, Cubillan and Fulce) that are so limited offensively.  In my opinion, I would get DJO out there immediately, and I would start Maymon over Fulce.  I mean, if we aren't going to get much offensive production out of the position anyway, Maymon is bigger and defends better than Fulce does at this point.

So I would go Acker, DJO, Maymon, Hayward, Butler.

We just got off to such a slow start Saturday and I think a lot of that has to do with who we started the game with.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
Re: My Starting Line-Up
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 08:54:10 AM »
+1
At one point I looked at the players on the floor and said to myself:  "Who except Lazar can score for this team?"
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 08:58:57 AM »
Concur with the Sultan. That opening scoring drought was painful and frustrating. Think how different tactically the last 20 minutes would have been had we not fallen behind by so much so fast to start the game.

MUCrew

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 09:12:04 AM »
DJO is lost most of the time on defense.  I've caught him not checking his man on cuts away from the ball.  His defense rotation is poor, imo.  The thing about him is that he's smart...he knows it, Buzz knows it, and you can tell when watching him play.  The problem is that it's not consistent.  I think it's one end of the spectrum to the other with him. 

Don't get me wrong, I love having him out on the floor.  He's extremely gifted offensively, but during a critical part of the game when we were coming back, he committed 3 of the 4 turnovers...in a row.  I guess we can chalk everything up to growing pains.

My point is that I think that inconsistency and lack of defensive awareness is why we went with Acker, Cubes, and Fulce.  That being said, I think Sultan's 5 looks pretty good and I'd be on board with seeing that for the next few weeks. 

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 09:23:56 AM »
DJO is lost most of the time on defense...He's extremely gifted offensively, but during a critical part of the game when we were coming back, he committed 3 of the 4 turnovers...in a row. 

His D needs work but I will say that, yes he did turn the ball over but realize he did so attacking the basket. Gotta like the warrior spirit

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 09:26:45 AM »
DJO is lost most of the time on defense.  I've caught him not checking his man on cuts away from the ball.  His defense rotation is poor, imo.  The thing about him is that he's smart...he knows it, Buzz knows it, and you can tell when watching him play.  The problem is that it's not consistent.  I think it's one end of the spectrum to the other with him. 

Don't get me wrong, I love having him out on the floor.  He's extremely gifted offensively, but during a critical part of the game when we were coming back, he committed 3 of the 4 turnovers...in a row.  I guess we can chalk everything up to growing pains.

My point is that I think that inconsistency and lack of defensive awareness is why we went with Acker, Cubes, and Fulce.  That being said, I think Sultan's 5 looks pretty good and I'd be on board with seeing that for the next few weeks. 

Yeah, I understand that about DJO.  He got into foul trouble on Saturday too.  But that has to be balance IMO with offensive production.  Cubillan just doesn't give you anything.  

And also IMO, Maymon's defensive awareness is better than Fulce's at this point.  I argued this earlier, but anyone who would rather have Keaton Nankivil right now over Maymon just doesn't see what Jeronne brings to the table.

BTW, I had a nice time at the Kohl Center Saturday.  I was proudly wearing my gold and had some nice conversations and good ribbing with UW fans.  However, one fan (Mr. Basketball Cliche) kept saying "Look how lazy Maymon is!  That's why Bo didn't want him!"  After a few comments like this, I tuned to him and said "you aren't seeing what he is doing on the defensive end.  He has completely shut Nankivil down, and after early struggles, is playing Leuer better than either Hayward or Butler has."

Am I missing something here?  I mean, I know he has struggled offensively so far, but get him in the weight room for another off season and he is going to be real difficult for other teams to stop.  And the guy wants to work - he looks much more trim than he did last year.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 09:29:14 AM »
Agree on DJO, even with the occasional turnover. At least there is potential to drive and score. From what I've seen so far, Fulce vs. Maymon is a wash. Maymon's D mostly results in a bumping foul with a side out or 1-and-1. At least Fulce can jump and compete for rebounds that are in play. Maymon boxes out well, but he isn't out-jumping anyone over 6' 3". I've seen Fulce and Maymon hit one jumper each all year, both from just beyond the elbow. While I think Maymon will get better with more playing time, at this point, inserting Maymon into the starting line-up isn't giving us any huge advantage either way. Sitting Maymon in the beginning may help keep him in the game at the end where his foul shooting seems more fluid than Fulce's by a mile. Inserting DJO into the line-up is a no-brainer. Acker and Cooby should never be on the court at the same time.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 11:24:37 AM »
I mainly agree with starting lineup.  In regards to Maymon, his breakout game is coming.

Fulce is not going to have a breakout game.  He is an active rebounder and a decent defender but that's it.  I guess in terms of starting one of the two them... as long as Maymon gets 23+ minutes every game it is semantics.

Maymon is still a frosh, will have defensive lapses, and turn it over but when he has a 14 point, 8 board, 4 assist game the bandwagoners are going to be on board in droves.  I say he has it somewhere mid-way through the Big East season.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 01:51:28 PM »
but when he has a 14 point, 8 board, 4 assist game the bandwagoners are going to be on board in droves.  I say he has it somewhere mid-way through the Big East season.
I just don't see it coming this year. Offensively, he's made nothing more than put-back layups. I remember one offensive "move" (I think against Maryland Eastern Shore) and he got stuffed. The body control and focus seem to be there, but 14/8 in the Big East this year?? If he's not doing it against MES, South Dakota, etc., that certainly seems like a tall order for 20-ish minutes. I do like that he is letting the game come to him, much like Butler last year. You can tell he's going to be one of the leaders after this year. As far as this year, I hope I'm proven wrong.

77champs

• Walk-On
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 02:29:21 PM »
The starting lineup really needs to have DJO or Buycks in there to both provide a scoring threat but also to inject a level of energy into the team.   The team was dead out of the blocks in Madison and then had a great comeup back with DJO and Buycks.   This was the starting lineup in Orlando and it worked well. 

Why did Buzz change?   It sure isn't working.

Boone

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2009, 02:53:47 PM »
I'm guessing Buzz didn't start DJO either b/c he: A) wanted to bring off the bench as a spark (which he was); B) wanted to control his fouls (as it turns out DJO still picked up 2 first-half fouls; or C) both A and B.

I think Buzz has to throw caution to the wind, though, b/c there's no way on earth a starting lineup that includes both Acker and Cooby will win in Madison.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2009, 03:48:08 PM »
I'm guessing Buzz didn't start DJO either b/c he: A) wanted to bring off the bench as a spark (which he was); B) wanted to control his fouls (as it turns out DJO still picked up 2 first-half fouls; or C) both A and B.

I think Buzz has to throw caution to the wind, though, b/c there's no way on earth a starting lineup that includes both Acker and Cooby will win in Madison.
Yes, need to keep either Cooby or Mo on the bench and have a rotation from there.  Of course, foul trouble can waylay that plan. In the meatime, we only have 4 guards so rotations can be difficult when trying to be an uptempo team.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2009, 06:18:27 PM »
+1
At one point I looked at the players on the floor and said to myself:  "Who except Lazar can score for this team?"

You should say to yourself: "Who except Lazar will shoot for the team?"
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2009, 09:57:32 PM »

Yeah, I understand that about DJO.  He got into foul trouble on Saturday too.  But that has to be balance IMO with offensive production.  Cubillan just doesn't give you anything.  

And also IMO, Maymon's defensive awareness is better than Fulce's at this point.  I argued this earlier, but anyone who would rather have Keaton Nankivil right now over Maymon just doesn't see what Jeronne brings to the table.

BTW, I had a nice time at the Kohl Center Saturday.  I was proudly wearing my gold and had some nice conversations and good ribbing with UW fans.  However, one fan (Mr. Basketball Cliche) kept saying "Look how lazy Maymon is!  That's why Bo didn't want him!"  After a few comments like this, I tuned to him and said "you aren't seeing what he is doing on the defensive end.  He has completely shut Nankivil down, and after early struggles, is playing Leuer better than either Hayward or Butler has."

Am I missing something here?  I mean, I know he has struggled offensively so far, but get him in the weight room for another off season and he is going to be real difficult for other teams to stop.  And the guy wants to work - he looks much more trim than he did last year.

Well...so much for *that* post....

<sigh>

feedback