[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by THRILLHO
[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Saw Jamail Jones play today.  (Read 24569 times)

strobl2

• Starter
Saw Jamail Jones play today.
« on: December 12, 2009, 09:28:44 PM »
My local highschool was hosting a fundraising tournament all day today, and Jamail Jones' team, Montverde, was in it. His game was the last of the day, and it was a great game between his team and Winter Park who has Austin Rivers on the their team. Jamail had a very good game and I think he was the leading scorer for his team. All in all he probably had 20 of their 52 points. Jamail and Austin Rivers were guarding each other most of the game. I thought Jamail did a pretty nice job on defense. On one play he had a great block off the backboard when a Winter Park player was going in for an easy layup. He also has a really nice stroke and hit two threes, plus two really smooth pull up jumpers in the lane. When his team was down 5 with about 1:30 to play he got the ball on a fastbrake and threw down a tremendous dunk.

His team ended up losing 55-52 though.

I am really excited to see him playing at MU next year!

VegasWarrior77

• All American
Re: Saw Jamail Jones play today.
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 10:18:39 PM »
Thanks for the info.  Please keep us updated!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 11:33:18 PM »
I am really excited for Jones.  He sounds like he is an all around great player who can fill up a stat sheet. 

I see him playing one year behind Jimmy and then he and DJO battling it out for a starting spot during his soph year with the other being 6th man. Junior and Vander in the backcourt, DJO/Jones at the 3, Maymon at the four, and a true big man at starting center.  Ewill and Reggie Smith off the bench.  That is a squad, and Buzz can still add talent.

Jones is coming into a great situation having a player like Butler as a senior who can mentor him and really kick his butt in practice and show him the ropes of being the new Wes/Jimmy in the offense. 

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 12:05:58 PM »
Having a freshman behind a senior is the ideal situation for a program to maintain a high level and avoid the "rebuilding" year.  We all knew this year was going to be a rebuilding year because the cupboard was bare and it had to be refilled with people would would have to contribute immediately.  There are indeed a number of frosh who can immediately contribute, but as a wholesale plan, it is not a recipe for success. 

I really like having Jones come in with Butler as a senior.  He will learn under that unquestioned leader of the team at that time.  I anticipate as Buzz brings in his classes, there will be few if any empty ones and MU can maintain and grow from year to year.

susie90

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 01:00:27 PM »
I know this is a little off topic, but are we recruiting any 3-5 star centers?  Wow, that could really put us over the edge for the next several years!

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 02:40:42 PM »
I know this is a little off topic, but are we recruiting any 3-5 star centers?  Wow, that could really put us over the edge for the next several years!

Not to be rude, but a quick search of the boards will yield many posts on the topic.  Long story short: Centers are the most sparse position in terms of actual quantity of players in the 3-5 star range. After the "top programs" in the country (Duke, UNC, UK etc etc), there simply is not that much talent to go around. Personally, I'm in the camp that says let's not count out Mbao just yet (he's only been here for half a year after all), and hopefully we will get another project either this year or next to step in after a (fingers crossed) successful run from Mbao and Otule comes to an end.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 03:12:08 PM »

There aren't any left.  All of the 4 and 5 star centers on both Scout and Rivals are already committed.  Scout has 1 uncommitted 3 star center, but he's a lock for Pitt.  Rivals has a few, most of whom aren't really centers and don't really deserve that ranking.

Any help coming in the form of a post player will either be a power forward, or a guy that most haven't heard of.

bs4173

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 03:47:56 PM »

Wasn't Mbao a 3-star?

bma725

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 04:13:28 PM »
Wasn't Mbao a 3-star?

Yep.  3-Star on Scout and Rivals. 

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2009, 04:50:49 PM »
Jamail Jones' 32 points powers Montverde

ESPNU 100 forward Jamail Jones exploded for a game-high 32 points on 12-of-20 shooting as Montverde rolled over Dudley (N.C) 82-65 on Saturday at the City of Palms Classic.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/school?schoolId=269&page=briefingroom&season=2010&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncb%2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fschool%3fschoolId%3d269%26page%3dbriefingroom%26season%3d2010
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2009, 07:54:35 PM »
Jamail today in 23 minutes:
32 points on 12/20 shooting (5/10 3pt FG), 3/3 FT, 4 reb (2 off reb), 2 stl, 1 blk

Next highest scorer for Monteverde was Nova-bound James Bell with 13.

Up next is Westchester (LA, CAli) on Monday night around 8:15pm central. 

Poor quality live streaming available for these games at cityofpalmsclassic.com

On Wednesday at 8:30 Central the final is on ESPN U.  Monteverde needs two more wins...
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2009, 08:47:26 PM »
I believe SF Jamail Jones had a part in Maymon's departure.....

Josey Wales

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2009, 08:53:14 PM »

if its a battle for the 3-spot... Jones >>>>>> Maymon imo
BEARS STILL SUCK

Hey Vikings, I like what you've done with the basement.

"Lazar Hayward. The L stands for leader, and the W stands for winner, Lazar Hayward is a winner."

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2009, 08:55:36 PM »
Jones is a prototype 3.  He is going to be very good.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2009, 08:56:21 PM »

Nah, Maymon was going to be in the NBA before Mellow even got on campus.   ;D  

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2009, 09:10:33 PM »
The thing I really find most interesting about Jamail is his transfer to Montverde Academy.  It had nothing to do with academics and everything to do with developing his skills on the court.  By all accounts,  he is a good student that moved to help develop his basketball game.  It is an interesting story and I think it will be very beneficial for him.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2009, 09:13:30 PM »

Who?!?
SS Marquette

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2009, 09:16:54 PM »
Who?!?

Who played more games......Maymon or Berkowitz?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2009, 08:14:18 AM »
In the second round, Montverde beats Westchester 62-47.  At half, the California team was leading 23-18 after an awful first half of shooting by Florida squad (24%).   Montverde came back to handle things in the third quarter and shot 63% in the second half.

Future-Villanova baller James Bell had a good second half and dropped in 23 points for the game thanks to 5/8 3pt fg shooting.

Jamail was 4/12 (0/5 from 3pt range) and 4/5 from the line for 12 points.  He grabbed 10 boards (3 offensive) and had 2 assists and 2 blocks. 

Next up for Jamail's team is Paterson Catholic (NJ), a 61-60 come-from-behind winner last night.  That game is tonight around 8:30pm central time.  6'4" Seton-Hall bound Fuquan Edwin led Paterson with 24 in Monday night's victory.  If Montverde wins, they will be on ESPNU Wednesday night. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2009, 11:20:52 AM »

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2009, 02:25:39 PM »
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2009, 07:08:03 PM »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2009, 07:09:34 PM »
Look who is right underneath  :P
**Cough** That's Aaron Brown, NOT Bowen.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2009, 09:01:01 AM »
Damn.  Montverde loses in overtime to Paterson Catholic, 63-51. 

JJ was 5/13 from the field (3/8 3 pfg) for 13 points, 3 boards, an assist and 4 TO's.  Myles Mack(good shooting little guard - 2011 class) had 21 and Fuqhed Edwin (6'6" wing - Seton Hall) scored 17 for Paterson. James Bell of Montverde was the only other double figure scorer in the game with 14. 

Foul troubles abound for Montverde (Bell fouled out, Big Papa, Clyburn and Palsson with 4)

Tonight around 6:30pm they'll battle St. Benedict's (and Aaron Brown, who for some reason mbao_toMU09 thinks is the same as Aaron Bowen) on ESPNU for third place. 

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2009, 09:15:18 AM »
With our roster ever changing what do people think our starting lineup will be by the end of next season?

My thoughts:

C   Otule     Mbao
PF  Butler    Fulce
G/F  DJO     EWill, Jones
SG  Blue      Buycks
PG  Junior    Smith

A young team no doubt, but we will be exciting to and hopefully Otule progresses as he did over the last year. It will probably be a 3 guard lineup again depending on the progress of EWill and Jones, either way we will have a deeper team than this year and it will be the first time in a while that has happened.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

feedback