[Today at 07:42:14 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by Lennys Tap
[April 23, 2024, 09:42:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[April 23, 2024, 03:55:21 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buycks...the key to MU's fortunes  (Read 2599 times)

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
Buycks...the key to MU's fortunes
« on: December 09, 2009, 12:58:28 PM »
IMO Dwight Buycks is the key to Mu's season.  When he is at his best like he was early in the season Mu can be very good he adds another scorer, passer, penetrator, and an excellent defender. 

When he plays like he has the last three games, his poor shooting and turnovers take away any offensive balance allowing the defense to key on DJO, Butler, and HAyward.  If he is playing well the only offensive liability is the PG.

Same goes for the defensive end, when he is going well the only defensive liability is our PG. Additionally Buycks can really rebound for his position and helps our undersized fornt court.

When Buycks plays as poorly as he has the last few gmaes, not only does his play hurt us but it causes Buzz to take him out, often times resulting in a lineup of Cubi, Acker, and DJO.  That lineup is not very idea for a whole bunch of reasons on both ends of the court.  Buycks is one of our 4 best players.  We are not deep enough for one of our 4 best players to play really awfully and still win against good competiton.  he passes the ball as well as any one on the team.

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
Re: Buycks...the key to MU's fortunes
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 01:26:16 PM »
We are not deep enough for one of our 4 best players to play really awfully and still win against good competiton.

I think we all agree that our 3 best players are Hayward, Butler, and DJO. As of this moment I don't see anybody else as being are 4th best player, and I really don't know where to start when picking. That being said, I would hope that either Buycks or Maymon are the ones to step up their play while they get accustomed to D1 basketball.

Buycks for the many reasons pinpointed by Mr. Hayward, and hopefully Maymon, whom will probably struggle early on in BE play but I see coming on strong towards seasons end.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 02:11:03 PM »
MU's limitations are obvious. We're small. lack depth and our most talented players (with the exception of Hayward) are short on D1 experience. At least three from the Hayward, Butler, DJO, Buycks and Maymon group have to play at a very high level or we'll struggle. Cubillan, Acker and Fulce will have their moments but let's be honest - they're at best bit players on a solid Big East team. E Williams could be a wild card because of his physical skills but the light certainly hasn't gone on for him yet. Cadougan could have been a real difference maker on this team.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 02:12:59 PM by Lennys Tap »

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 02:23:47 PM »
  I think we all agree that our 3 best players are Hayward, Butler, and DJO. As of this moment I don't see anybody else as being are 4th best player, and I really don't know where to start when picking. That being said, I would hope that either Buycks or Maymon are the ones to step up their play while they get accustomed to D1 basketball.

Buycks for the many reasons pinpointed by Mr. Hayward, and hopefully Maymon, whom will probably struggle early on in BE play but I see coming on strong towards seasons end.

Agree. This team has three real solid players. The rest are role guys who may give you a few good minutes each game. That just will not cut as the schedule gets tougher. I think this weekend will give us a pretty good idea of what to expect once conference play begins.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 05:15:06 PM »
well just one man's opinion but i thought he was clearly one of the 4 best players during the first 6 games, yet really struggled during the last 3.  He has lead the team in rebounds twice and in assists and steal s a few times.  He alsmost had a triple double in his 4th collge game.  If he can play the way he did in the first 6 games rather than how he has in the last 3 we are significantly better. 

Sure MAymon and Fulco or williams might end up being that 4th option but they have not had great games yet and Buycks has had a few games where i thought he played great. just needs to be more consistant, he appears to be pressing.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 05:26:31 PM »
I suspect Buycks and Maymon will be shining in the weeks ahead.

akmarq

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 07:31:56 PM »
More than anything, I think that the key for Buycks is just reigning in his desire to throw his body around and be "the guy."  When he's played aggressively under control (like in the OSC) he has been very effective and the team has done well when teams have to account for our guard play a bit more. 

I didn't see the UWM game (first home game I've missed in two years), but at the NC State game he seemed all too willing to just bull rush under the hoop and throw up some sort of circus shot in an attempt to draw the foul/make a big play.  Like it or not (I like it), refs just aren't going to call a foul when you play that loose and with such poor positioning.  He needs to play within himself more and focus on working as a piece within the system. 

I wouldn't mind if he got the message in Madison...