[Today at 02:33:33 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MUbiz
[Today at 02:30:22 PM]

Best case scenarios by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:41:30 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by Big Papi
[Today at 09:34:04 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Don't you think it is about time for Buzz to unleash Jimmy B?  (Read 3499 times)

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
Don't you think it is about time for Buzz to unleash Jimmy B?
« on: December 09, 2009, 09:23:04 AM »
I was listening to the game broadcast on ESPN radio and George Thompson said something like anyone who is 6 for 6 (i.e., 100% FG%) isn't shooting enough.  In other words, he should take more shots and be more featured in the offense at least until you start to miss.  I think he should also be taking more 3pt attempts.  JB has 10 attempts and hit 7.  Zar has had like 40 attempts and hit 10.  JB is putting up good numbers but still seems to score a lot on put backs and drives in the paint (where he often gets fouled).  

I would like to see him help stretch the defenses too by being taken seriously as a 3pt threat.  I think Zar's numbers would improve as teams won't be able to as easily double team him.

I wonder why Buzz doesn't let him rip from 3 land.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 09:25:27 AM by downtown85 »

Badgerhater

• All American
Re: Don't you think it is about time for Buzz to unleash Jimmy B?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 09:27:39 AM »
Because Butler is an offensive rebounding machine and the team needs that more than his 3 point shot.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 09:34:17 AM »
maybe his game 3 point shooting is an abberation?

downtown85

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 09:37:17 AM »
He is a an offensive rebounding machine but if you look at how he gets his rebounds he is often moving in from the perimeter and anticipating where the ball is going to be rather than fighting for position in the paint.  He passed up 3pt shots several times last night when the ball was being passed around the perimeter in our half court set.  I think if he gets the ball at the top of the key and his defender is playing off him expecting the drive he should just let it rip from 3 land.  That will free a lot of things up for him and others.  

When he passed up those shots it looks like he was told not to take them.  Buzz made a comment a few weeks back during his post game press conference to the effect that he is allowed to shoot 3s in practice but not in real game situations.  Just wondering why.  It looks like he has a nice stroke.  

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 09:38:12 AM »
Taking a good shot is what is critical.  Lazar can hit if he sets up as can Jimmy Butler.  A bad shot is a bad shot period.  Doesn't matter who takes it.  It's more critical that people take good shots, and less critical who takes them.  By just feeding Lazar or Jimmy Butler and them hoisting up shots, I guarantee we lose.  

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 09:39:36 AM »
Jimmy also loves to yell, "And one." I think I heard him yell that on each of his first 3 FGs.  And you know what, he was probably right.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

bma725

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 09:40:38 AM »
Butler has never been known as a 3 point shooter at any level.  He's always had good percentages, but limited attempts.  It was the same thing in JUCO and HS that it is at MU.  That's not something that comes from a coach holding him back, that has to do with a player only being comfortable shooting in certain situations.

Watch Butler closely next time he's on the perimeter.  His made shots have all come from the corner, and not just the corners in general but specifically either the bench corner on the MU side of the floor or the opposing corner on the other side of the floor.  Doesn't matter where the ball is or where the defense is, that's where he's comfortable.  Conversely, he's not comfortable shooting the three anywhere else.  If he gets the ball in the opposite corner, he looks to pass.  If he gets the ball on the mid wing, he looks to swing the ball.  If he gets the ball on the top of the key, he looks to drive to the basket or drive and pull up for a mid range shot.  

That should tell you, he's got his spot, and he doesn't like to deviate from it.  He's confident that he can make it from that corner area, and much less confident from the other areas.  Coaching doesn't really have an effect on that unless they instruct him to become a chucker...which is something no sane coach would do.

downtown85

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 09:53:13 AM »
Butler has never been known as a 3 point shooter at any level.  He's always had good percentages, but limited attempts.  It was the same thing in JUCO and HS that it is at MU.  That's not something that comes from a coach holding him back, that has to do with a player only being comfortable shooting in certain situations.

Watch Butler closely next time he's on the perimeter.  His made shots have all come from the corner, and not just the corners in general but specifically either the bench corner on the MU side of the floor or the opposing corner on the other side of the floor.  Doesn't matter where the ball is or where the defense is, that's where he's comfortable.  Conversely, he's not comfortable shooting the three anywhere else.  If he gets the ball in the opposite corner, he looks to pass.  If he gets the ball on the mid wing, he looks to swing the ball.  If he gets the ball on the top of the key, he looks to drive to the basket or drive and pull up for a mid range shot.  

That should tell you, he's got his spot, and he doesn't like to deviate from it.  He's confident that he can make it from that corner area, and much less confident from the other areas.  Coaching doesn't really have an effect on that unless they instruct him to become a chucker...which is something no sane coach would do.

Thanks bma.  Once again you make perfect sense.  Perhaps as his role on the team grows he will get more comfortable with other aspects of his game.  Last year he developed into a key reserve.  This year he is a key starter.  Next year the team will look to him to generate a lot of offense.  As defenses become aware of his offensive importance he will need a few more tricks to keep them off balance. 

MU_Iceman

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 11:24:24 AM »

That's a fantastic observation, BMA (as per the usual)...a related observation for me, however, is that on the few occassions that he has opted to shoot rather than drive the lane, he has shown much more comfort stepping inside the arc around the top of the key to take the long two instead of the three.  If everyone remembers back, Wade used to do that exact same thing.

Now I am by NO MEANS comparing Butler to Wade...they're not even in the same sentence, but since his days at MU, Dwyane has clearly worked hard on building up his confidence from beyond the arc and now knocks down three balls with much more regularity.  Jordan actually came into the NBA billed as a player who attacked the hoop with the best of them, but had a very average outside game...he developed it early in his career.

Right now, Butler is extremely effective around the basket and a top-flight rebounder for his size...the difference in his confidence level on offense is night and day from when he first arrived and I would be very surprised if he doesn't spend the bulk of his summer further developing his outside game next year. 

To make a long story short, Butler has already proven he's a very solid player this year...with another year of work and development, he has the potential to be a very special player in his senior season...he's an outside game away from having the kind of skill set NBA teams are looking for...

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 11:28:07 AM »

Wow,
I hope none of our opposing coaches read this board...this is a pretty thorough scouting report on jimmy.

;)

bma725

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 11:38:56 AM »
Wow,
I hope none of our opposing coaches read this board...this is a pretty thorough scouting report on jimmy.

;)

Well I'd like to think that if I can figure it out, they should be able to as well.....with the possible exception of Norm Roberts, who needs all the help he can get.

feedback