[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[April 24, 2024, 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Thoughts on Maymon  (Read 3531 times)

Markusquette

• All American
Thoughts on Maymon
« on: November 27, 2009, 06:15:39 PM »
Since it's Maymon's first year it's obviously understandable that he is just getting his feet wet and getting used to things.  I suppose I expected a bit more from him at first, but it is still very early so I am sure he can turn it up as time goes by.  I think right now he is just lacking that aggressiveness and confidence at the college level.  

Once he gains that I think will be able to use his big east body to help out more on both sides of the court.  He has shown a few flashes on offense where he can finish under the basket, but overall we haven't needed his scoring so it's hard for him to get going.  I guess this early on all he really needs is the experience and get a feel for the play before he really starts to contribute.  What do all of you expect from Maymon as the year progresses?  I'm excited to see his progress

goan

• Walk-On
Re: Thoughts on Maymon
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 06:20:58 PM »

One of the beautiful thing about college basketball is to see the growth of the player over the 4 years.You want to see how good Maymon is, wait till his senior year. He will be a beast on the floor.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 06:23:45 PM »
He is playing his role and not making too many errors.  He did a great job in second half today with his defense. Observed Lazar talking to him on numerous occasions, probably helping him learn the ropes.

Only concern is lack of offense.  In three of the last four games he has only taken one shot in each game.  

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 06:37:05 PM »
His start is reminding me of Jimmy Butler's last year.  Tentative...focusing on not making mistakes...being the good role player.  But he's in the rotation late in these games...ahead of Fulce and Williams.  That means Buzz obviously likes him.

wesmat23

• Starter
  • Veezy V G.T.S.T
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 07:15:42 PM »
Exactly what I was thinking.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 07:19:27 PM »
Couldn't agree more with the last two posts.  He still looks very lost at times; however, he seems more comfortable every game.   I see his progression as being very similar to what we saw with Butler last year.  I think Buzz does a great job to not overload his players (especially those new to D1) with too many specifics.  Instead, it's very clear he wants Maymon to play solid defense and rebound.  Once he gets better in that area, then he'll begin seeing more offense go through him.  I'm very comfortable with Buzz's ability to develop Maymon, and Maymon's ability to eventually be a big time player in the BEAST.  For now, it seems they'll continue to focus on his ability to rebound and play solid defense.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 07:19:57 PM »
He's starting to get it. I think playing against this higher level of competition is making him realize that his motor needs to be going all the time.

One play stands out for me. In the second half he had Sims on the wing, who tried to cut back door. Jeronne took it away, and got great position in the post. He took away the baseline and forced Sims back inside where Jimmy helped and forced a TO. It was great footwork/recognition.

Excited to see his confidence grow!

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 07:27:10 PM »
The one thing about Maymon that is obvious is that he's busting his @ss on the floor day in and day out. The numbers aren't there yet, but he's making big steps and its only 6 games into his career. I'm not worried about him at all because it's obvious that he's doing what he needs to to improve

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2009, 07:44:36 PM »
Definitely agree, good insights.  I was also thinking he was like Butler of last year.  I can see most of his points coming from put-backs and perhaps he starts to expand his role on offense as he gets more comfortable.  He is hitting the glass better than Fulce and his size helps him match-up with their bigger forwards and centers.

classof70

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2009, 08:10:00 PM »
Since it's Maymon's first year it's obviously understandable that he is just getting his feet wet and getting used to things.

Right now the games too fast for him.  He will get there. 

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2009, 08:28:54 PM »
Of the frosh I am most excited about Maymon.  You can see the potential.  As everyone has mentioned, he will end up being this year's Butler (in terms of progression since his game is quite different).

One thing that a few people have mentioned around about him should be re-iterated:  We have enough people who are fronting the basket.  He should work to some degree with his back to the basket.  He isn't ready for the low block but should work the wide post.  He can pass out of it and he has the size to handle a forward one on one.  On the low block there is simply too many defenders for him at this point.  At the wide post we will be able to do some things.

WarriorHal

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2009, 10:34:45 PM »
Early on, he seems to have trouble finishing around the basket and doesn't elevate much at all. I'm guessing he simply overpowered kids at the high school level and was able to score inside easily. Hopefully, he has the skills and ability to improve and become a big-time player. Based on being a two-time state player of the year, I expected him to step right in and be a major force right away, and that isn't happening.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2009, 10:48:22 PM »
Way too early - the kid is averaging 5/5 and he had 2 offensive rebounds today.  In HS, he was asked to lead his team.  He is not being asked to do that for Marquette.  Lets just hope Maymon passes 1st semester and logs some good minutes and all of this will help the maturation process. Jimmy Butler became JBut after about 20 games.

Link to Jimmy Butler's 2008-09 season   http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/gamelog?playerId=41080&year=2009

« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 10:51:46 PM by mviale »
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2009, 09:11:07 AM »
Keep in mind Maymon is being asked (a lot like Lazar his freshman year) to play a bit out of his position, against bigger players in the post.  I  am pretty confident he'll be a really good player by mid-season.