[Today at 07:53:14 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by PJDunn
[Today at 07:36:37 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Darius Johnson Odom ALT Stud of Game  (Read 2296 times)

NersEllenson

• All American
Darius Johnson Odom ALT Stud of Game
« on: November 25, 2009, 02:30:56 PM »
Was a little surprised to not see a lot of chatter about the game DJO played against SD?  He was my hands down Stud of the Game receipient.  I thought he showed a TON.  Strong and powerful off the dribble.  Great vision.  Great 3-ball, and even a nice mid-range jumper.  I think he will be team's 2nd leading scorer after Hayward.  Anyone else impressed?
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Jay Bee

• All American
Re: Darius Johnson Odom ALT Stud of Game
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 02:44:21 PM »
Was a little surprised to not see a lot of chatter about the game DJO played against SD?  He was my hands down Stud of the Game receipient.  I thought he showed a TON.  Strong and powerful off the dribble.  Great vision.  Great 3-ball, and even a nice mid-range jumper.  I think he will be team's 2nd leading scorer after Hayward.  Anyone else impressed?

(the word is recipient.. receipt is a word, but not receipient..)   I'm OK with Lazar as the SD Stud based on when he did his thing during the game.. but, YES.  Very impressed with DJO. 

Like you said, the guy can make moves off the dribble and into the lane, can hit the trey, or pull up for a pretty mid-range j.. he's a baller, no doubt about it.  He will be the 'senior leader of the team' during our 2011-2012 Final Four run.  I can see why so many 'great basketball schools' were interested in the young man's services.  The most exciting scorer on this year's squad.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 02:45:53 PM »
While I was impressed and think he will be very solid by the end of the year, there is no way he will out score Butler.  DJO also struggled a little bit on defense, he seemed a little out of control at times trying to stay with his man, especially through screens.  Having said all that I'm very impressed with his jump shot, especially off the dribble like the one he took in the corner early in the first half for a long two.  I always thought he was more slasher than shooter, but he seems like he could be the best of both worlds.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Warrior97

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 02:50:47 PM »
His mid range jumper was one of the things that excited me the most about last nights game.  If he is able to regularly hit this shot I think he will have plenty of opportunities to score.  The ability to hit a mid range jumper off the dribble is a lost art form.  It seems like everyone in college basketball either takes a 3 or drives to the basket.  If DJO can periodically stop short on a drive and pull up for a jumper he will get good looks since defenders rarely see this from anyone else and help defense is most likely waiting at the basket.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 02:56:27 PM »
Lazar had 18 in the 1st half, with all 8 of his rebounds.  Had he played more in the 2nd half, it would have been no contest (for SoG).

DJO did have a really nice game.  His shot was falling and he looked a lot smoother.  There was one awkward drive that he forced, but made better moves after that.

But I think Lazar's ("don't call me laser") game was better. 

I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 02:56:48 PM »
If DJO can periodically stop short on a drive and pull up for a jumper he will get good looks since defenders rarely see this from anyone else and help defense is most likely waiting at the basket.

That's Frank Costanza's move!

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 03:11:02 PM »
  (the word is recipient.. receipt is a word, but not receipient..)   

Thanks for spelling clarification Jay Bee..I looked at it for a minute and it didn't look right, but given the forum..I was too lazy to correct! 

There was a drive DJO made in the first half from right wing to left block, where he actually lost the ball out of bounds.  Though the result wasn't there -the move completely impressed me..as he did the powerful "jump/hop/stop," and then elevated off of that (which is when he lost the ball)..that move is lethal, and I've seen very few MU players (Big 3 included use that move) and it a great way to gain an advantage over the D.

Gonna disagree with Butler being 2nd leading scorer on the team - Butler definitely is probably the most logical player, but DJO can create his own and is likely to have ball in his hands more frequently.  Anyway, just really impressed by what we saw last night - and keep in mind the guy was out for a month with the foot injury..think his game is only going to show more/improve.  GREAT JUCO recruiting by Buzz - Butler, Buycks, DJO...
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013