Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [GoMarquette.com] Otule To Miss Remainder Of 2009-10 With Foot Injury  (Read 19679 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: [GoMarquette.com] Otule To Miss Remainder Of 2009-10 With Foot Injury
« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2009, 08:38:48 AM »
Better get those 25lbs on Mbao in the next week.

SCdem@MU

• Team Captain
« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2009, 08:46:05 AM »
Really makes you wish that Damian Saunders had the grades to be accepted by Marquette/didn't get arrested for possession of a controlled substance/former coach didn't oversign the class.

He is averaging 16.5 points per game and 17.5 rebounds per game for Duquesne this year. He would also be a Senior this year, which would have helped out in the experience/leadership department as well.  

mviale

• All American
« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2009, 09:05:42 AM »
17.5 rebounds and 210 LBs
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2009, 09:16:43 AM »
19.0 and 15.3.

but who cares, its Duquesne.

They blew out formidable Nicholls St.

They squeaked Iowa, a perennial Big 10 powerhouse

and they crushed the Mid-Major Binghamton while at home last night.

whopdie do.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2009, 09:37:19 AM »
19.0 and 15.3.

but who cares, its Duquesne.

They blew out formidable Nicholls St.

They squeaked Iowa, a perennial Big 10 powerhouse

and they crushed the Mid-Major Binghamton while at home last night.

whopdie do.

I'm not one who typically plays "what might have been" with recruits who didn't come or with players who transfer, but your post is ridiculous.  Who from our team is putting up those kind of numbers against the cupcakes we've played?  Saunders is averaging more points than anyone on Marquette and more than twice as many rebounds as anyone on Marquette.  And he's done it against a schedule that is at least comparable to the schedule we've played (and that's being generous to our schedule -- Sagarin ranks Duquesne's schedule at 299 and Marquette's at 346).  Last year Saunders averaged 13.1/7.6 (nearly a double double if we're using the same standard that resulted in Rosiak saying our most recent Stud of the Game almost had a triple double with his 10/10/7).

I'm not saying that we should have taken Saunders, but he is a hell of a player who certainly would be a contributor on this team.  And it's crazy to downplay his performance by citing Duquesne's soft schedule when no Marquette player has done nearly as well against even weaker opponents.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2009, 09:54:14 AM »
Anyone think Roseboro would be helpful in this situation, or was he a player that was at least a year away from any contribution?  I never saw him play so I have no idea.

wildbill sb

• Team Captain
« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2009, 09:59:35 AM »
I've never seen anything like this. One serious foot injury after another, Fulce with knee/foot injuries, and Liam has to quit playing basketball. Simply insane. Can't anyone on this team just twist an ankle or get say a sore quad and only miss a few games instead of nearly every injury the team has being a serious year long deal? Wow, Buzz sure can't catch a break health wise.

Some random questions: 

Does Bucky, with his collection of oversized basketball bigs, have as many foot injuries as we seem to have in the fairly recent past?

Is anyone on staff ooking expertly at our pre-practice training/taping procedures?
“I’m working as hard as I can to get my life and my cash to run out at the same time. If I can just die after lunch Tuesday, everything will be perfect.”  - Doug Sanders, professional golfer

Jam Chowder

• Team Captain
« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2009, 10:05:15 AM »
Anyone think Roseboro would be helpful in this situation, or was he a player that was at least a year away from any contribution?  I never saw him play so I have no idea.

From all reports, Roseboro was not even 4 years away from any contribution. He likely would never have seen the floor.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2009, 10:12:00 AM »
I'm not one who typically plays "what might have been" with recruits who didn't come or with players who transfer, but your post is ridiculous.  Who from our team is putting up those kind of numbers against the cupcakes we've played?  Saunders is averaging more points than anyone on Marquette and more than twice as many rebounds as anyone on Marquette.  And he's done it against a schedule that is at least comparable to the schedule we've played (and that's being generous to our schedule -- Sagarin ranks Duquesne's schedule at 299 and Marquette's at 346).  Last year Saunders averaged 13.1/7.6 (nearly a double double if we're using the same standard that resulted in Rosiak saying our most recent Stud of the Game almost had a triple double with his 10/10/7).

I'm not saying that we should have taken Saunders, but he is a hell of a player who certainly would be a contributor on this team.  And it's crazy to downplay his performance by citing Duquesne's soft schedule when no Marquette player has done nearly as well against even weaker opponents.

And actually he's had some of his best games against the best teams. 

Last year vs:
Duke: 22 pts, 10 rebounds
Pitt: 15 pts, 6 rebounds
WVU: 16 pts, 7 rebounds

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2009, 10:29:52 AM »
well we could play, "what might have been" all day with any number of players, but that doesn't change where the team is today.

for the record I will give you that Saunders has played well.

ChuckyChip

• Team Captain
« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2009, 10:43:16 AM »
for the record I will give you that Saunders has played well.

Too bad that TC pushed him out the door to make way for Mbakwe.  Not sure which of those two was the bigger character risk.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #61 on: November 24, 2009, 10:48:55 AM »
Too bad that TC pushed him out the door to make way for Mbakwe.  Not sure which of those two was the bigger character risk.

Ignorance...if it was simply a matter of "pushing him out the door," Hazel would have been the one that was pushed.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #62 on: November 24, 2009, 10:51:24 AM »
He would also be a Senior this year, which would have helped out in the experience/leadership department as well.  

He would have been a junior this year.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #63 on: November 24, 2009, 11:05:51 AM »
From all reports, Roseboro was not even 4 years away from any contribution. He likely would never have seen the floor.

Sure he would've seen the floor.

From his seat at the end of the bench.

Really though...he might have seen some minutes just to spell Mbao and/or be foul fodder.
SS Marquette

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #64 on: November 24, 2009, 11:26:20 AM »

Facts are not in your bag are they?

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #65 on: November 24, 2009, 12:02:17 PM »
On the positive side of this.  By most accounts this was going to be a rebuilding year at MU and now Erik Williams and Jeronne Maymon will be getting lots of PT which will get them better prepared for next year.

And Yous is going to have to step in and take alot more minutes...

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #66 on: November 24, 2009, 12:37:19 PM »
The floor of the AL should be evaluated in regards to having the least strain and impact on the players legs, knees, ankles, foot etc..  The AL is to get a lot of practise in and should incur the least amount of undue strain on the legs, knees, ankles and foot.  If one can't say the current floor offers that, it is painfully obvious to me it should be replace ASAP with one that is.  Unfortunately, practically that would probably be after the season.

GregClausenForever

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #67 on: November 24, 2009, 01:12:30 PM »
There's gotta be something with the floor, or the training staff, or something.  I can't believe all these practice injuries are a fluke.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #68 on: November 24, 2009, 02:15:25 PM »
Any odd-looking 7 footers on campus available as walk-ons?

I'm only 6'2", but I was leading scorer playing post for my freshman team in high school. That was only 7 years ago. Plus, I've never had a foot injury. When do I start?

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #69 on: November 24, 2009, 02:19:38 PM »
I'm only 6'2", but I was leading scorer playing post for my freshman team in high school. That was only 7 years ago. Plus, I've never had a foot injury. When do I start?

Go wait outside the all where Buzz parks.  When he shows up just box him out as well as you can.  He'll probably set up a press conference for you tonight at some point if you do a good enough job so that you can sign your liability waivers.  Then by tomorrow morning they'll have the hoops lowered at the Al so that you can have a dunk contest against Acker.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #70 on: November 24, 2009, 02:45:00 PM »
The floor of the AL should be evaluated in regards to having the least strain and impact on the players legs, knees, ankles, foot etc..

FWIW, IWB reported that Otule was injured during practice at the Bradley Center yesterday, not the AL.

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #71 on: November 24, 2009, 03:21:31 PM »
And if I do recall correctly, Otule's fractured foot last year was a product of getting stepped on - not something related to the floor of the Al

MUFC9295

• Team Captain
« Reply #72 on: November 24, 2009, 03:55:41 PM »
As pros have their acquired players pass physicals, do college programs go through the physical evaluation as well when signing a recruits?  I don't agree with the "it's the floor" camp.  Rather, I feel these players have been physically stressed for much of their young lives with limited concern for their health.  As a former MU athlete, I know any injury pre-MU was treated with tape, ibuprofen and rest.  At MU, the trainers definitely looked after you.  I stress "after" as there was not much in the way of preventative treatment.  I digress.  Are we landing soft or problematic talent that screenings would catch?  I just cant believe its shoes or a regulation hardwood court that is decimating our boys.

radome

• Team Captain
« Reply #73 on: November 24, 2009, 04:52:33 PM »
I don't know of many injuries for the women's bball or vball teams.  They use the same court and I understand that women typically have more lower extremity injuries (based on US Navy study) than men so ... odds are that the court is not the issue.

SCdem@MU

• Team Captain
« Reply #74 on: November 24, 2009, 05:24:09 PM »
He would have been a junior this year.

You are right, for some reason I thought he sat out a year.

feedback