[Today at 01:04:10 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Uncle Rico
[Today at 01:03:27 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: E. Williams  (Read 14832 times)

schubert33

• Starter
E. Williams
« on: November 17, 2009, 09:04:53 PM »
Is he really that burried on the bench.  Can they still redshirt him?  I thought as long as a player doesn't play after the 8 game they can still redshirt.

HoopDreams

• Starter
erik williams riding the bench
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 09:05:27 PM »
Frozena in before williams. Wow. Any ideas why?
Tradition Never Graduates..

Markusquette

• All American
Re: E. Williams
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 09:08:35 PM »
I'm confused as well

schubert33

• Starter
Re: erik williams riding the bench
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 09:08:57 PM »
Frozena in before williams. Wow. Any ideas why?

Something has got to be up...

chapman

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 09:11:04 PM »
They can take some time to see what they have before deciding on the redshirt.  But even then you'd think he would get on the floor while he still can.  Very strange.  Also strange how little we seem to hear from Buzz about him.  If he just needs work, I think he gets redshirted.  Buzz seemed to indicate it was a waste not to redshirt Fulce and Otule last year.  Considering the depth we can afford to save a year of eligibility if it helps EWill realize his potential.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 09:19:47 PM by chapman »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 09:11:55 PM »
speculation:

doesnt get the offense, doesnt work in practice...

/speculation

he is a freshman and fro is a senior IIRC.

I wouldnt read too much into it.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 09:13:47 PM »
E Will is Buzz's guy.   He's probably not going to play him until he's good and ready, is a soft spoken kid maybe he doesn't want to play him until he feels he ready to have some success.   Judging by his limited play I'd say he's good enough to be getting some time in these non conference games so it is a little interesting. 

Golden Avalanche

• All American
Re: erik williams riding the bench
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 09:14:25 PM »
Something has got to be up...

If Tom Crean was still here, this would be the point where we would start the "run-off" conversation, right?

The Williams's's's's's's's's go back a long time. Many would have you believe that Erik stayed with MU rather then Indiana because of Buzz. It's very, very early but if no playing time by the end of the South Dakota game there could be something to it.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 09:14:35 PM »
I also thought it was weird that the broadcast had the "New Faces of Marquette" and failed to mentioned EWill.  Not reading anything into it but for a Top 100 recruit you think they could put his name up there at least.

Hopefully he will get some minutes as the season progresses.  Fortunately we are stacked at forward right now so we can wait for him to be ready.

Boone

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 09:18:56 PM »
How "good and ready" does he have to be to play the last couple minutes in a blowout vs. UMES? If he's not good and ready for that, then he's in trouble. More likely, he isn't playing him b/c he's not practicing like Buzz wants him to.

schubert33

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 09:19:55 PM »
How "good and ready" does he have to be to play the last couple minutes in a blowout vs. UMES? If he's not good and ready for that, then he's in trouble. More likely, he isn't playing him b/c he's not practicing like Buzz wants him to.

I couldn't agree more!!!

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2009, 09:21:57 PM »
I don't think a lot of you posters understand how strong the relationship is between Buzz Williams and Erik Williams. 

HoopDreams

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2009, 09:22:33 PM »
Gotta be tough to see a walk on get in before you. Why not just put him in for a few minutes and let him try and get comfortable out there?
Tradition Never Graduates..

Boone

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2009, 09:28:20 PM »
So, top 100 recruit Erik's not "ready to have success" vs. UMES, but walk-on Frozena is?  ::)

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2009, 09:29:11 PM »
Gotta be tough to see a walk on get in before you. Why not just put him in for a few minutes and let him try and get comfortable out there?

to send a message?

E Will is going to be fine, as well as a productive member of the team before the season is over. 
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2009, 09:31:04 PM »
I'm not sure the reason you'd have to ask Buzz.  But those suggesting that E Will is getting ready to transfer obviously don't know what's going on.  

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2009, 09:50:20 PM »
I want to see Erick succeed, but if he has some business to take care of during practice, he'd better get on it now...so he can play in the OOC games.

I don't foresee Buzz holding him out too long.

I predict Erik's playing in the next game...
SS Marquette

vacinator

• Walk-On
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2009, 10:29:16 PM »
Has Buzz been asked / addressed this question - He played in the last game - so I don't think redshirting is an option. 

He is a top 100 kid who seems to have tons of upside but he has played less than RF in the last two games - its not like Maymon and Fulce are tearing things up out there - but they are being allowed to play through their mistakes.  It would be nice to see EW get that chance.

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2009, 10:53:16 PM »
I find it concerning to the say the least.

Having a walk-on play while you sit on the bench is a slap in the face, to say the least. Unless, of course, there is something else there....

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2009, 10:54:04 PM »
Is he really that burried on the bench.  Can they still redshirt him?  I thought as long as a player doesn't play after the 8 game they can still redshirt.

If they play in ANY game, they can't redshirt.  Football is a little different, but not hoops.

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2009, 10:59:35 PM »
Chicos is right, barring an injury there will be no redshirts

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/ncaa?ContentID=420

"Each student is allowed no more than four seasons of competition per sport. If you were not a qualifier, you may have fewer seasons of competition available to you. You should know that NCAA rules indicate that any competition, regardless of time, during a season counts as one of your seasons of competition in that sport. It does not matter how long you were involved in a particular competition (for example, one play in a football game, one point in a volleyball match); you will be charged with one season of competition."

I think the 8 game thing applies to injuries

Shack

• Starter
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2009, 07:05:44 AM »
I find it concerning to the say the least.

Having a walk-on play while you sit on the bench is a slap in the face, to say the least. Unless, of course, there is something else there....

I agree.  Didn't the same thing happen with Hazel last year in a couple of games early on?

nyg

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2009, 07:46:43 AM »
I agree.  Didn't the same thing happen with Hazel last year in a couple of games early on?

And that Hazel situation really worked out great last year....... I hope EWill sticks around, must be tough for a Top 100 player to sit in a blow-out, very tough. 

dsfire

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2009, 09:17:56 AM »
Hazel actually played a lot last year early.  It wasn't until we started getting into the BE season that he was having trouble finding court time.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2009, 09:24:09 AM »
Hazel actually played a lot last year early.  It wasn't until we started getting into the BE season that he was having trouble finding court time.
Actually he was playing weel in the BE season; but, then fell into Buzz's doghouse for whatever reason and never played after that prior to announcing his transfer.