[Today at 03:52:54 PM]

Marquette Football Update by TallTitan34
[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Simple game plan  (Read 1600 times)

NotAnAlum

• All American
Simple game plan
« on: November 27, 2009, 07:05:21 PM »
Great win today.  This team is really fun to watch on both ends of the floor.  I particularly liked how we attacked regardless of what defense Mich was in.  After the game, DJO made a very telling comment.  He said something to the effect “its pretty simple, we come down, try to get a paint touch and look for an open teammate”.  The key word here is simple.  There is no way Crean could have had this many new guys playing this well together this early.  They’d still be trying to memorize all the set plays, they’d be thinking and not reacting.  In my mind this is the way basketball is meant to be played.  It’s a flow game, not like football.  Last year you could attribute the offensive success to the fact that the big 3 knew each other so well.  But maybe the offensive scheme should get more of the credit, at least its more evident this year.  And these guys should get better as the year goes on and they play together more.  I’m enjoying the ride.   

Markusquette

• All American
Re: Simple game plan
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 07:48:32 PM »
Good post, I agree.  With a little discipline and a lot of trust in the guys the team can function well.  All of our guys seem to know their role and how to play as a team which is a good sign.  Size and strength doesn't matter as much when we function as a team and play smart; and that is exactly what we have been doing these last 2 tournament games.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 07:58:12 PM »
But this simple offense won't get them drafted...or included in namedrops.

Because it's not too complex.
Though it's a "winning offense."
SS Marquette

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 08:47:49 PM »
I think there's also one other simple element:  don't turn the ball over. 

Thru today, we've produced 119 assists against 69 turnovers. About 1.72:1 turnover:assist ratio.  That's excellent thus far, especially considering how freaked out we were after Cadougan went down regarding our lack of a true point guard.
The General has taken on a new command.

krocheck

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 11:04:38 PM »
The guys are definitely playing like a team, and it is that simple.  I look at one single, solitary fact; each game at least 3 guys score 10+ points (generally 4) and there's usually one or two with 8/9.  While I appreciate someone putting in a good effort (20+ points), I know its not going to be the same guy every game and I know he is not by himself.  They don't care who puts the shot up so long as it goes through the hoop.

That is what's simple.

Keith

BTW ... I know what I pointed is out is not all that un-common or extremely impressive, but their attitude and court-presence is what sells it.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 11:15:35 PM by krocheck »

feedback