[Today at 08:18:48 AM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

Who is most responsible for the Packers dismal start and has to go?

Ted Thompson
10 (13.2%)
Mike McCarthy
25 (32.9%)
Can 'em both before my heartburn gets any worse
29 (38.2%)
Who cares? Thank God for Badger Women's Hockey!
12 (15.8%)

Total Members Voted: 76

Author Topic: Heads must roll!  (Read 8577 times)

ATWizJr

• All American
Heads must roll!
« on: November 08, 2009, 06:06:34 PM »
After today's dismal performance whaddya' think?

MUeng

• All American
Re: Heads must roll!
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 06:16:31 PM »
seeing kampman drop back in coverage is embarrassing

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 10:01:33 PM »
agree totally.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 08:12:22 AM »
seeing kampman drop back in coverage is embarrassing

+74

They get no pass rush, and the best pass rusher on the team out guarding a tight end.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 09:44:23 AM »
Shouldn't the D-Coordinator be put on that poll as well?  I guess it wasn't his fault he was hired to bring in the 3-4, but you could at least utilize the players to their complete efficiency.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 11:09:50 AM »
Shouldn't the D-Coordinator be put on that poll as well?  I guess it wasn't his fault he was hired to bring in the 3-4, but you could at least utilize the players to their complete efficiency.

The word is that McCarthy is insisting on the 3-4.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 11:18:29 AM »

The word is that McCarthy is insisting on the 3-4.

Interesting, I remember reading an article about it after their 2nd loss to the Vikings where McCarthy was saying they are about the team, not getting individuals to the Pro Bowl and such.  I guess I just thought that was more of a defense of his D-Coordinator than it was of the system itself.  I think after two games in a row where they have allowed massive amounts of points, it's safe to say there should be some reconsidering as to whether the 3-4 is even good for the team as a whole.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 11:24:01 AM »
Interesting, I remember reading an article about it after their 2nd loss to the Vikings where McCarthy was saying they are about the team, not getting individuals to the Pro Bowl and such.  I guess I just thought that was more of a defense of his D-Coordinator than it was of the system itself.  I think after two games in a row where they have allowed massive amounts of points, it's safe to say there should be some reconsidering as to whether the 3-4 is even good for the team as a whole.

the players were also commenting that they need to be more uncorked, and there are a lot more plays that they can run that are more aggressive.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 01:00:57 PM »
While the D hasn't been world-beating, the offense and special teams haven't exactly put the Defense in position to be successful.

Yesterday, the Bucs scored touchdowns on drives of 8, 17 and 72 yards, one on a blocked punt and one on an INT.
Last week, the Vikings scored touchdowns on drives of 14, 51, 63, 38 and 59 yards.

In 2 weeks, the defense has allowed 1 touchdown on drives of 70 yards or more. I don't know the stats on that sort of thing league-wide, but given this admittedly-small sample size, it seems that, given decent field position, the defense can actually do its job. The last couple of weeks, special teams have been terrible, and the offense (through three-and-outs last week, and interceptions on Sunday) hasn't been much better.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 03:48:46 PM »
Good points, all.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 04:43:06 PM »
My initial thought is McCarthy has to go, and he does, but I have probably been giving Thompson the benefit of the doubt a little too much (this is likely an overreaction reaction to all the Favre stuff...he got a bad rap on that, and it is incredibly unimportant and overblown).

The more I think about it, he has done a terrible job. I have previously referenced his inability to draft o-linemen, but the reality is, he has shown an inability to draft period. He has done a nice job with WRs and not much else. I know this, if you have a well known philosophy of building through the draft, your special teams cannot suck. On the contrary, if you are assembling your talent through the draft, you should have special teams players coming out of your ears. The Packers don't.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 05:40:28 PM »
You guys can have Wade Phillips.   Look, all this stuff can turn on a dime.  4 weeks ago, hell, 1 week ago, every Cowboys fan wanted Phillips gone.  I still want him gone, but he could be the guy.

Two years ago, McCarthy was the greatest GBP coach since Holmgren.  The margin of error is so very small.  I don't see what he's lost the team.  It's just a talent issue from my perspective.  The offensive line has issues as does the defense, but it wouldn't surprise me to see you beat my boys this weekend.  Dallas secondary sucks, should be a high scoring affair.

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2009, 06:55:29 PM »
You guys can have Wade Phillips.   Look, all this stuff can turn on a dime.  4 weeks ago, hell, 1 week ago, every Cowboys fan wanted Phillips gone.  I still want him gone, but he could be the guy.

Two years ago, McCarthy was the greatest GBP coach since Holmgren.  The margin of error is so very small.  I don't see what he's lost the team.  It's just a talent issue from my perspective.  The offensive line has issues as does the defense, but it wouldn't surprise me to see you beat my boys this weekend.  Dallas secondary sucks, should be a high scoring affair.

High scoring for Dallas.  Ware will have 5 sacks. Take that to the bank.

EDIT: And I'll take your trade.  Phillips saw issues four weeks ago, hell, one week ago, and he fixed them. You're 6-2.  If the trend continues, he'll finish his third straight winning season in a brutal division since becoming Cowboys coach.  He's 25 games over .500 as a head coach in his career, to McCarthy's 6 (mostly because of a cushion built on one seemingly lucky season).  What respect has McCarthy earned at this point?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 07:01:58 PM by PXILibero2 »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2009, 08:53:07 PM »
Two years ago, McCarthy was the greatest GBP coach since Holmgren. 

Talk about damning with feint praise.

I mean, considering the alternatives are Ray Rhodes and Mike Sherman...

LON

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2009, 10:02:01 AM »
McCarthy needs to go just because his press conferences can be predicted two weeks in advance...

"We need to work on that, we'll go through that this week."
"Our pad level wasn't sufficient."
"We've identified that as a problem, we'll go to work this week."
"Pad level, rabble, rabble, sharpie marker, rabble rabble, I'm overrated.  Rabble!"

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2009, 01:07:37 PM »
McCarthy needs to go just because his press conferences can be predicted two weeks in advance...

"We need to work on that, we'll go through that this week."
"Our pad level wasn't sufficient."
"We've identified that as a problem, we'll go to work this week."
"Pad level, rabble, rabble, sharpie marker, rabble rabble, I'm overrated.  Rabble!"

+1 it drives me nuts.

you've identified the problem.  now change something.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2009, 02:38:23 PM »

EDIT: And I'll take your trade.  Phillips saw issues four weeks ago, hell, one week ago, and he fixed them. You're 6-2.  If the trend continues, he'll finish his third straight winning season in a brutal division since becoming Cowboys coach.  He's 25 games over .500 as a head coach in his career, to McCarthy's 6 (mostly because of a cushion built on one seemingly lucky season).  What respect has McCarthy earned at this point?

We look at things differently as Cowboys fans, much like the Yankees fans.  Don't care about the regular season, it's about the rings and playing for the rings.  He has 0 playoff wins and couldn't even get to the playoffs last year.  His December records are abysmal. 

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2009, 05:08:37 PM »
We look at things differently as Cowboys fans, much like the Yankees fans.  Don't care about the regular season, it's about the rings and playing for the rings.  He has 0 playoff wins and couldn't even get to the playoffs last year.  His December records are abysmal. 

Believe me, things aren't much different in this part of the football world.  One playoff appearance and one blowout win against a fringe playoff team in four years aren't enough to justify keeping McCarthy around, especially given his lack of previous success.  I'd take my chances with Wade Phillips getting over the hump eventually versus McCarthy.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2009, 05:26:11 PM »
Believe me, things aren't much different in this part of the football world.  One playoff appearance and one blowout win against a fringe playoff team in four years aren't enough to justify keeping McCarthy around, especially given his lack of previous success.  I'd take my chances with Wade Phillips getting over the hump eventually versus McCarthy.

It's been more than a DECADE since we've won a playoff game.....people are not happy with Mr. Phillips.  Nice man, but he hasn't won a playoff game ever, anywhere, as a head coach.  He better this year or you can have him because he won't be the Cowboys coach.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2009, 06:28:05 PM »

The Yankees are by far the most dominant team in the history of baseball.  I don't think that's a very apt comparison or is the fanbase that delusional, especially considering how much more parity there has historically been in football as compared to baseball?

Jugdish

• Walk-On
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2009, 07:26:48 PM »
The Yankees are by far the most dominant team in the history of baseball.  I don't think that's a very apt comparison or is the fanbase that delusional, especially considering how much more parity there has historically been in football as compared to baseball?

Matters more in GB than Dalls. We do have league most 12 NFL titles after all. Titletown USA.

McCarthy has to go. This is not a well coached team. Sloppy every week and keep making the same mistakes each week. No improvement.
Thompson has his issues but he has brought in some talent. Jennings, Collins, Rodgers... Just no offensive lineman

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2009, 07:51:30 PM »

Talk about damning with feint praise.

I mean, considering the alternatives are Ray Rhodes and Mike Sherman...

True...then again I remember the days when Packers fans thought Lindy Infante walked on water because they went 10-6.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2009, 07:56:12 PM »

I think most Dallas fans look at football since the merger or since the Super Bowl, when all the world's best players were in one league and not scattered about or in a league where teams were playing Beloit, Ft. Wayne, etc.

To your point, the Yankees have won roughly 25% of all the world championships and played in about 40% of them.   Post merger, the Cowboys have played in 21% of the World Championships and won 12% of them.  The Steelers have won more.  I'm not saying their outlook is correct, it most certainly is delusional, but the thinking is championships and anything short of that is a failure.  Consider that at the end of 1996, the Cowboys had played for the Super Bowl title 31% of the time...it was fairly routine that basically 1 of every 3 years they were in it.  So people are very antsy...delusional or not....they are very antsy.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2009, 07:58:23 PM »
Matters more in GB than Dalls. We do have league most 12 NFL titles after all. Titletown USA.

McCarthy has to go. This is not a well coached team. Sloppy every week and keep making the same mistakes each week. No improvement.
Thompson has his issues but he has brought in some talent. Jennings, Collins, Rodgers... Just no offensive lineman

Yes, you will always have the most because you've played forever.  No one is denying that.  Dallas has been in the most in the modern era, won the second most, still the NFL's most popular team, etc, etc....you guys have at least made the playoffs and won some games...played in the NFC title just a few years ago (under McCarthy I might add).  Dallas hasn't even won a playoff game in over a decade....people are pissed and antsy. 

You can have Wade!

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2009, 09:02:13 PM »
I think most Dallas fans look at football since the merger or since the Super Bowl, when all the world's best players were in one league and not scattered about or in a league where teams were playing Beloit, Ft. Wayne, etc.

To your point, the Yankees have won roughly 25% of all the world championships and played in about 40% of them.   Post merger, the Cowboys have played in 21% of the World Championships and won 12% of them.  The Steelers have won more.  I'm not saying their outlook is correct, it most certainly is delusional, but the thinking is championships and anything short of that is a failure.  Consider that at the end of 1996, the Cowboys had played for the Super Bowl title 31% of the time...it was fairly routine that basically 1 of every 3 years they were in it.  So people are very antsy...delusional or not....they are very antsy.

Cop out...

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2009, 09:07:13 PM »
Cop out...

That's fine...but how are teams that didn't even start until 1960 or 1977 or 1998 supposed to react?  They weren't even around when the Packers or Bears were playing.  So you can only control what you've done since you've been around.  How you compare to other teams when you were actually playing.

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2009, 09:29:41 PM »
That's fine...but how are teams that didn't even start until 1960 or 1977 or 1998 supposed to react?  They weren't even around when the Packers or Bears were playing.  So you can only control what you've done since you've been around.  How you compare to other teams when you were actually playing.

That's fair I suppose.  On the other hand, you can't discount championships because of who people were playing.  You beat who is put in front of you.  The Packers have done that 12 times in 90 chances.  The Cowboys have done it 5 times in 49 chances.  I'll let you do the math.

You can make arguments about the best players in the world since the merger or whatever, but some of the old guys who played every minute of every game both ways and didn't have the luxury of top notch protective gear or rules against excessively dirty play might disagree with the Cowboys fans who feel that way.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2009, 10:13:06 PM »

I agree that the Packers are a team that has a rich history, but 1 title in 30 years doesn't really match the attitude of "Win a title or you're gone"

The Packers were in the dark for 2 decades... so let's not leave that part of the history out.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2009, 11:06:55 PM »
That's fair I suppose.  On the other hand, you can't discount championships because of who people were playing.  You beat who is put in front of you.  The Packers have done that 12 times in 90 chances.  The Cowboys have done it 5 times in 49 chances.  I'll let you do the math.

You can make arguments about the best players in the world since the merger or whatever, but some of the old guys who played every minute of every game both ways and didn't have the luxury of top notch protective gear or rules against excessively dirty play might disagree with the Cowboys fans who feel that way.

Right, and for 49 of those years we competed against each other.  That's kind of my point.  What happened the previous 49 years one team can't even talk about because they didn't exist.  I also don't think you can ignore that there were two leagues going on at the same time for some of those years.  Or in the old years such teams as the Akron Pro, Canton Bulldogs, Frankford Yellow Jackets, Cleveland Bulldogs, Chicago Cardinals and Providence Steam Roller were NFL champions.  Back then there wasn't even a championship game in some of those years, simply the team with the best record was crowned champion.  I'm not taking away from it, but much like Madison winning their NCAA basketball title when there were only 8 teams invited...well it's a bit different than winning one in the last 3 decades, I think you would agree.  You still have 12 titles, most ever.  Unlikely to be passed because it's so damn hard to win one now.

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2009, 11:30:06 PM »
Right, and for 49 of those years we competed against each other.  That's kind of my point.  What happened the previous 49 years one team can't even talk about because they didn't exist.  I also don't think you can ignore that there were two leagues going on at the same time for some of those years.  Or in the old years such teams as the Akron Pro, Canton Bulldogs, Frankford Yellow Jackets, Cleveland Bulldogs, Chicago Cardinals and Providence Steam Roller were NFL champions.  Back then there wasn't even a championship game in some of those years, simply the team with the best record was crowned champion.  I'm not taking away from it, but much like Madison winning their NCAA basketball title when there were only 8 teams invited...well it's a bit different than winning one in the last 3 decades, I think you would agree.  You still have 12 titles, most ever.  Unlikely to be passed because it's so damn hard to win one now.

I do agree. And Dallas is right in the mix with SF as the second best franchise since the merger, behind Pittsburgh, of course.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2009, 05:34:22 PM »

LOL.  Again, this is why we would love to get rid of Wade Phillips.  He's a complete joke.  I don't know if Dallas will end up winning this game, I doubt it, but he's a complete joke of a football coach.  The sooner the Cowboys get rid of him and his soft pillow coaching, the better they will be.  LOL, called this one all week.  Dallas is so soft, just another fraud again this year with Phillips and Jerry running the show.  LOL

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2009, 06:44:37 PM »

LOL.  Again, this is why we would love to get rid of Wade Phillips.  He's a complete joke.  I don't know if Dallas will end up winning this game, I doubt it, but he's a complete joke of a football coach.  The sooner the Cowboys get rid of him and his soft pillow coaching, the better they will be.  LOL, called this one all week.  Dallas is so soft, just another fraud again this year with Phillips and Jerry running the show.  LOL

That's an awful lot of LOLing

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2009, 06:46:11 PM »

Kinda the way I felt with Crean as our coach from the FF on, JD. The only difference is Phillips seems likable, not always hyping himself when selling yesterday's fish.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2009, 07:30:30 PM »

Kinda the way I felt with Crean as our coach from the FF on, JD. The only difference is Phillips seems likable, not always hyping himself when selling yesterday's fish.

Totally different....Crean actually won in the post season....Wade hasn't...EVER...ANYWHERE.  His teams are soft and they don't come ready to play.  I don't think Crean's teams were EVER soft.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2009, 07:32:57 PM »

That's an awful lot of LOLing

Yeah, you should have heard me during the game.  I was honestly laughing through most of it.  My fellow Cowboys friends thought this team was legit and I've told them all year they are fraud.  I'm glad they get it out of the way now, makes my life easier when the collapse comes....and it always comes in December with Wade.  I just hope this will finally be the year they can him, but Jerry can control Wade and that's why he keeps him around. 

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2009, 08:15:42 PM »
Packers have 3 NFL championships since the merger. Cowboys, 5. 49ers, 5. Steelers, 6. Patriots 4?

The packers also won football championships during eras of other leagues, the Second World War.

It's just not the same as, say, the 49ers doing 2 back-to-back championships in the 1980's with 28 or so teams.

feedback