[Today at 07:54:34 PM]

Where is Marquette? by MU Fan in Connecticut
[Today at 07:52:45 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by MarquetteVol
[Today at 07:30:33 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Goose
[Today at 07:05:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: College hoops podcasts?  (Read 6443 times)

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
College hoops podcasts?
« on: November 07, 2009, 08:54:20 AM »
Anybody know of any good ones?  ESPN's was good before last season when Glockner left, and now it's just Andy Katz interviewing coaches and players.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

wadesworld

• All American
Re: College hoops podcasts?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2023, 07:34:05 AM »
Bumping this because it’s the closest title to what I’m discussing.

But one episode in to Titus and Tate now having their own pods individually, and so far each individual pod is significantly worse than the Titus & Tate Podcast. Tate’s first new episode was a lot better than Titus’s in my opinion. I think him and producer Kyle have a lot better working relationship on the pod. Whoever Brandon Walker is was absolutely horrible as a guest on Tate’s new show.

We’ll see how they evolve, but I don’t think either will rival the Eye On College Basketball Podcast, when I thought the Titus and Tate Podcast did.

I’m personally disappointed they aren’t working together anymore. I thought they were great.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2023, 07:38:40 AM »
The first hour of 9 two noon with John Kuhn on 97.3 the game usually covers college basketball. Brian Butch former Wisconsin Badgers is actually very high on Marquette. He praises them daily and said they can make the final 4. He was actually big on Tyler Kolek before the national media starting catching on.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 07:45:54 AM by HowardsWorld »

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2023, 07:44:29 AM »
The first hour of 9 two noon with John Kahn on 97.3 the game usually covers college basketball. Brian Butch former Wisconsin Badgers is actually very high on Marquette. He praises them daily and said they can make the final 4. He was actually big on Tyler Kolek before the national media starting catching on.

I never thought I’d say this, but I’m rooting for Butch to do well. I enjoy the games he calls. He seems to have nice insights on the game.

Miss Katie’s

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2023, 08:03:35 AM »
I never thought I’d say this, but I’m rooting for Butch to do well. I enjoy the games he calls. He seems to have nice insights on the game.

I think he’s very good as well and heard him talking yesterday about he loves broadcasting and really hopes to continue.  I’ve enjoyed when he’s done MU games. 

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2023, 08:05:44 AM »
Also, a plug for Scrambled Eggs. Phil and Joe do a nice job. During the Wojo years, I wasn’t a religious listener, but it’s now appointment listening for me once it drops.

Who would have thought Optimistic Phil would have been 4 wins too low for Big East record.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2023, 09:05:57 AM »
I'm embarrassed to say, I agree.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2023, 10:49:41 AM »

But one episode in to Titus and Tate now having their own pods individually, and so far each individual pod is significantly worse than the Titus & Tate Podcast. Tate’s first new episode was a lot better than Titus’s in my opinion. I think him and producer Kyle have a lot better working relationship on the pod. Whoever Brandon Walker is was absolutely horrible as a guest on Tate’s new show.

We’ll see how they evolve, but I don’t think either will rival the Eye On College Basketball Podcast, when I thought the Titus and Tate Podcast did.

I’m personally disappointed they aren’t working together anymore. I thought they were great.

Agree with all of this.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2023, 10:54:11 AM »
The Golden Break is great too. The interview with Jerel McNeal ruled. I could listen to Rel talk hoops all day.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2023, 10:58:57 AM »
National:

Above and:

Field of 68 is good for immediate reaction to games that day, but otherwise meandering and inconsistent bc they have so many different contributors.

And Katz March Madness not great- tends to just run through his reactions to the AP poll

3 Man Weave great for Mid majors

MU centric:

Scrambled Eggs, of course.

The Golden Break (adam often does interviews-excellent Jerel interview on most recent episode; this year he has had TK, Ben Steele,  and Nevada also)

Big East centric:

Power Six Podcast BE  version - I like it.  They know the BE and focus a little bit on each team.

This Week in the Big East.  Meh- Announcer voice guy, bland info, but they get a coach for an ok interview once in a while.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2023, 11:24:47 AM »

Didn't Brian work with Luke Fischer when he was at MU?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2023, 11:43:29 AM »
National:

• Three Man Weave: They know the entire country better than anyone else and are ahead of the curve throwing love to teams that deserve it.
  • CBS Eye on CBB Podcast: Parish and Norlander are the best of the brand name pods. Great chemistry and cover the high majors well.
  • Field of 68: A bit hit or miss depending on who's in there, but the best daily option.
Marquette Specific:

• The Golden Break: I always feel like I learn something new, and Adam gets great interviews.
  • Scrambled Eggs: Love my Cracked Sidewalks brethren.
  • Real Chilly: Miss those guys, they always had a different perspective than I did, and I appreciated that.
Big East:

• Big East Barroom: Relatively new pod, but they do a decent job of running everyone down.
  • Dauster/TO/Fanta (DTF) Podcast: Not Big East specific, but Dauster is a UConn guy and Fanta is Seton Hall, so they cover the league a lot. Solid insight, though I was a bigger fan when Bobby Reags was working with Dauster.
  • This Week in the Big East: I only mention it to say DO NOT BOTHER. I can't stand McNamara, painfully stuck in the past and obnoxiously Providence partisan.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2023, 11:49:06 AM »

Was Walker on with Titus or Tate? Titus just moved to Barstool and Walker is a Barstool guy. I don't follow him closely, but seems like college football is his main focus.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2023, 11:53:24 AM »
Was Walker on with Titus or Tate? Titus just moved to Barstool and Walker is a Barstool guy. I don't follow him closely, but seems like college football is his main focus.

He is.

Titus yesterday did Big12/Acc/SEC coverage and had Walker on for SEC stuff. If someone isnt used to BW's schtick I can get the immediate hate and hes way more of a football guy. But Titus will be forced to incorporate some of the main Barstool personalities at times.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2023, 11:54:43 AM »
Barstool is too bro-ey for me

Pepe Sylvia

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2023, 12:00:08 PM »
I listen to:
Golden break: infrequent, but good. I really enjoyed Jerel saying he thought Iman Shumpert would have committed "if we weren't so unnatural carnal knowledgeing guard heavy" 

Scrambled Eggs: good stuff for MU, the best weekly pod for MU i'd say.

Real Chilly: Miss it quite a bit. How do you stop right when we hire shaka? poor decision. They do in game commentary on something called playback nowadays, which is something at least.

Big East Barroom: usually pretty enjoyable for a weekly rundown of the league.

Road to the Garden: These guys are solid too, think I like the barroom just a smidge better.

The Power Six Big East Basketball show: infrequent and short eps sometimes, only heard 2 eps so far, seems ok. All of these seem at least ok when they mostly are talking about how good marquette is tbh.

Eye on College Basketball: I like this one even when they are not talking marquette or big east. My fave national CBB pod for sure. Parrish and norlander both  hit the spot for me.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 12:02:59 PM by Pepe Sylvia »
twitterx: @HBOCEOofTits

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2023, 12:02:52 PM »
Barstool is too bro-ey for me
I'm neither a hater or a lover of Barstool, all depends on what you're looking for. But yeah it's definitely for laughs as opposed to enlightening analysis.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2023, 12:06:22 PM »
Field of 68 is great if you get Dauster, Fanta, and Oglesby. 

Goodman sucks.

I didn't like LaVall Jordan as a coach but I like him on here.  Could be because he's always talking up Marquette.  So much so I'm convinced he wants a spot on the MU coaching staff.   On the flip side, I liked Chris Mack as a coach but don't like him on here.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2023, 02:36:26 PM »

Goodman sucks.

I didn't like LaVall Jordan as a coach but I like him on here.  Could be because he's always talking up Marquette.  So much so I'm convinced he wants a spot on the MU coaching staff.   On the flip side, I liked Chris Mack as a coach but don't like him on here.

Generally agree, especially on Goodman, Jordan, and Mack. Their former players are very hit-or-miss. Too many ACC guys that can't understand why ACC teams don't get more respect while simultaneously seeming to acknowledge the league isn't that good. And for some reason, the UNC guys cannot pronounce names (Hansbrough and Henson never get Tshiebwe right).

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2023, 03:26:00 PM »

Yeah sorry, he was on Titus's podcast.  He seemed like a total wannabe hardo, came on the Podcast and basically said, "I'm the football version of Titus, except I never played college football and don't know as much about football as Titus knows about basketball."  Then he continued to interrupt and talk over Titus about college basketball the entire time.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 03:28:41 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU_B

• Walk-On
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2023, 03:48:15 PM »
I think Titus will get better, as I imagine going from a 2 man to 1 man show is tough.  But the first episode he did was awkward, he dropped about 465 "ums and uhs".  Tate is fine, I just hope he dials back the UNC content a bit. I'm going to listen to him more for the occasional Tomshady3000 sound bites.
Willfully misinformed.

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2023, 04:02:37 PM »
Goodman is so annoying and now that his daughter is in broadcasting at IU, he continually tweets about all things IU.  Ready to unfollow.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2023, 04:19:36 PM »
Dauster has such a hard on for UConn it’s over the top.
Calhoun is the greatest coach ever.
Compares best player to Kemba Walker.
Any of his pod mates mention UConn and he feels he must chime in.

panda

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2023, 04:20:01 PM »
I think Titus will get better, as I imagine going from a 2 man to 1 man show is tough.  But the first episode he did was awkward, he dropped about 465 "ums and uhs".  Tate is fine, I just hope he dials back the UNC content a bit. I'm going to listen to him more for the occasional Tomshady3000 sound bites.

Titus will be great. He was a one man show for years, blogging, writing a book and making videos. He'll be awesome once he finds his groove.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2023, 04:58:43 PM »
Titus will be great. He was a one man show for years, blogging, writing a book and making videos. He'll be awesome once he finds his groove.

Possibly.  But Barstool will make him have hosts from their other podcasts on.  I think he's better with a co-host and they may have a guest on 10% of the time than he will be having a rotating group of guests each episode.

genious expert

• Team Captain
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2023, 05:02:38 PM »

Goodman sucks.

Yep I agree

panda

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2023, 05:40:34 PM »
Possibly.  But Barstool will make him have hosts from their other podcasts on.  I think he's better with a co-host and they may have a guest on 10% of the time than he will be having a rotating group of guests each episode.

A guy like Titus at barstool calls his own shots.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2023, 08:49:07 PM »

I think majority of the time he will have Jake Marsh on. May do Rico a bit too, who while obnoxious knows college bball.

I think he will also do a blend of what the first show was. ONe guest was a barstool personality. But he also got Fran and his own connection with that louisville guy he will mix it up. Hes got options.

Big Cat and PFT will probably pop in again at some point. They are great quests even if their knowledge on college basketball will be surface level at best.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2023, 08:52:15 PM »
Eye on College bball Preview debating the possibility that MY could be a one seed if a few things broke its way and it wins the BET. Acknowledging unlikely.  But giving them a 2 / maybe the highest - if they win the BET.

panda

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2023, 09:20:22 PM »
I think majority of the time he will have Jake Marsh on. May do Rico a bit too, who while obnoxious knows college bball.

I think he will also do a blend of what the first show was. ONe guest was a barstool personality. But he also got Fran and his own connection with that louisville guy he will mix it up. Hes got options.

Big Cat and PFT will probably pop in again at some point. They are great quests even if their knowledge on college basketball will be surface level at best.

I doubt he’ll go to the barstool well a ton. My guess is they hire someone else to co host. Dark horse is Johnny Fanta

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2023, 09:28:18 PM »
I doubt he’ll go to the barstool well a ton. My guess is they hire someone else to co host. Dark horse is Johnny Fanta

I'd be stunned if its Fanta.

That guy looks like hes ready to jump off a bridge anytime TO and Dauster make minor inneundo jokes his way on the pod.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2023, 09:45:54 PM »

That guy looks like hes ready to jump off a bridge anytime TO and Dauster make minor inneundo jokes his way on the pod.

Yeah. I couldn’t think of a worse fit.

I don’t know if Marsh will be a good guest on Titus’s podcast. He’s too buttoned up, which is why he fits well with PMT. He’s the opposite of the rest of the pod and it leads to some good comedy. With Titus he’ll just try to be this professional broadcast type.

panda

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2023, 09:50:42 PM »

That’s why he’s a dark horse

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2023, 09:56:25 PM »
I'm biased, but I like Goodman and Hummel.  I agree with everyone on Goodman, but Rob is excellent.  Probably more on the B10 than any other conference.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2023, 10:19:23 PM »

He's already jumped in on multiple Barstool Twitter spaces and seems happy to loan himself out to whomever. Not sure Fo68 would prevent him from working elsewhere.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2023, 06:34:14 AM »
https://open.spotify.com/episode/4z1NwODLVpQzhE8cCCWc8B?si=Aw4_7dabQDGvD7tdG7tXJw&context=spotify%3Ashow%3A33wCvEW8lhzsrBqTNQKwV8

Some good talk about MU starting at 5min.

Field of 68 does a great job. If you listen to the pods in the whole, they mention MU frequently, sometimes just for a min or so but still good to have your the MU name out there

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2023, 07:47:57 AM »
He's already jumped in on multiple Barstool Twitter spaces and seems happy to loan himself out to whomever. Not sure Fo68 would prevent him from working elsewhere.

He is the BE rep with Titus today on his show. Which I did expect.

I just dont see him going full time there with the vibe. Also Titus will be working out of Chicago so Fanta would have to move.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2023, 08:36:25 AM »
The Journey House College Sports Show on 97.3FM on Saturday mornings. Two hour show.

They cover everything local. D1 to D3. All local D1 beat writers and/or coaches are on.

Refreshing to have something local!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2023, 08:38:13 AM by Mr. Nielsen »
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

i71_dawg

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2023, 08:55:59 AM »
Titus had Fanta on to preview the Big East tourney in his latest podcast....Titus said he learned a lot about Marquette, including that we have a top 15-20 basketball budget in the country.

Titus also mentioned he's moving to Chicago with Barstool and needs to adopt a Chicago college basketball team to follow.

MU fans, you know what to do....time to blow up his Twitter with recommendations that he adopt Marquette as his Chicago team (we may have more fans in Chicagoland than local teams like DePaul & Northwestern).
MUBB fan for nearly 30 years

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2023, 10:16:25 AM »
Titus and Fanta did have a good rapport.

He was loving Fanta's obscure analogies. Good deep dive on the league. Titus knows a lot on it too.

Gave us a lot of love. But like most had the defense reservation, which we all know is not as real as most seem to latch on to.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2023, 12:36:33 PM »
My favorite college basketball one is Three Man Weave.

Road To The Garden is a great Big East only podcast

fjm

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2023, 07:04:52 AM »
https://open.spotify.com/episode/2qXE2S9TlVr2RbRQUUitHU?si=P1Kk_7uyQqeC_87JWFlqHQ

Mu content at 17:30, with a kolek interview at about 22ish min.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2023, 04:59:55 PM »
So far I'm completely underwhelmed by both Titus's and Tate's new podcasts.  Titus's guests have been largely boring.  Tate's been getting the bigger names but he might as well just be the college basketball version of Jim Rome.  Just a straight up interviewer with no real equal discussion, which is what made Titus and Tate so good together.  They'd just talk basketball and have a good time doing it.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2023, 02:48:13 PM »
Kyle Man >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jake Marsh as a CBB podcast co-host.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2023, 03:26:18 PM »
Bumping this now that there's been more time for Titus and Tate to have their own shows separate from one another.  My God is Titus's show bad.  If you want your college basketball podcast to say, "Well the Draft was already 5 days ago, so I'm not going to discuss that at all and instead I'm going to spend a podcast talking about how to be the best +1 at a wedding" Titus's show is for you.

Tate's is really solid.  Him and Kyle Mann are great together, and his guests have been great as well.

MU_B

• Walk-On
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2023, 09:40:46 PM »
I'm really disappointed in the Titus show.  I always enjoyed him as spot guests on other podcasts, and with Tate.  But on his own he STRUGGLES.  "Um, uh, ummm"  I always assumed he was the one Carrying OSP / Titus and Tate, but maybe it was just Nephew Kyle.
Willfully misinformed.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2023, 05:45:22 AM »

I think Brew, Tower and TAMU should start a podcast with Scoopers calling in.

zcg2013

• Team Captain
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2023, 10:59:20 AM »
I was an avid fan of Titus and Tate and I also enjoy a few Barstool podcasts, so I was curious as to how Titus would do on his own.

Struggle is an understatement. It might get better as we get closer to Fall, but right now it's rough.

However, I've thoroughly enjoyed the locked on college basketball podcast. Daily, roughly a half hour, and gets through the top topics.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2023, 11:26:14 AM »
I'm really disappointed in the Titus show.  I always enjoyed him as spot guests on other podcasts, and with Tate.  But on his own he STRUGGLES.  "Um, uh, ummm"  I always assumed he was the one Carrying OSP / Titus and Tate, but maybe it was just Nephew Kyle.

Agreed.  But I really like what Tate is doing so to me it's pretty clear Tate was the one carrying those podcasts.  I love his interviews with BJ Amrstrong, and really enjoy when Michael Lombardi is on.

I was an avid fan of Titus and Tate and I also enjoy a few Barstool podcasts, so I was curious as to how Titus would do on his own.

Struggle is an understatement. It might get better as we get closer to Fall, but right now it's rough.

However, I've thoroughly enjoyed the locked on college basketball podcast. Daily, roughly a half hour, and gets through the top topics.

That's good to know.  I'll have to check it out.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2023, 11:46:30 AM »
Agreed.  But I really like what Tate is doing so to me it's pretty clear Tate was the one carrying those podcasts.  I love his interviews with BJ Amrstrong, and really enjoy when Michael Lombardi is on.

That's good to know.  I'll have to check it out.

Parrish and Norlander are great together
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2023, 11:46:59 AM »
Parrish and Norlander are great together

Obsoletely.  Eye on CBB is definitely my favorite college hoops podcast.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2023, 12:02:29 PM »
Titus show should only be during college bball season.

I think his biggest issue is hes also not even super knowledgeable about college basketball. Like he obviously knows the game but hes far from an encyclopedia.

I love the barstool trivia show because well trivia. And hes average at best at the college bball trivia. And honestly pretty poor relative to his job if the question isnt around his playing days.

MurphysTillClose

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2023, 12:30:04 PM »
Titus show should only be during college bball season.

I think his biggest issue is hes also not even super knowledgeable about college basketball. Like he obviously knows the game but hes far from an encyclopedia.

I love the barstool trivia show because well trivia. And hes average at best at the college bball trivia. And honestly pretty poor relative to his job if the question isnt around his playing days.

My fiancé started watching the Dozen with me solely for the Celebrity Mashup rounds. It's a fun watch.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2023, 12:31:55 PM »
My fiancé started watching the Dozen with me solely for the Celebrity Mashup rounds. It's a fun watch.

It really is. Lot of fun categories. The mash ups are great sometimes really easy other times mind bending.

Im near automatic in CBB/MLB/Movies/TV.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2023, 04:35:33 AM »
Obsoletely.  Eye on CBB is definitely my favorite college hoops podcast.

Eye on CBB is the most entertaining, 3MW is the most wide ranging and informative, Fo68 is best for daily updates. Those and the MU specific pods are enough for me. I tried to get in on T&T but never enjoyed either enough to keep following them post breakup.