collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Twins trade Gomez to Brewers for JJ Hardy  (Read 13041 times)

Jay Bee

• All American
Twins trade Gomez to Brewers for JJ Hardy
« on: November 06, 2009, 11:42:09 AM »
I like this trade (as a Minnesota fan) and I think Milwaukee fans might as well.  Any insight from Milwaukee people -- as to what the hell Hardy's problem(s) have been lately?  Power at shortstop and the Minnesota Twins are not a normal combination. 

We've got Delmon Young, Denard Span and Cuddyer in the outfield, with Kubel as well... Gomez was expendable (although some would have voted for Young to be gone - but I like the guy's abilities).  Go Go is fast and can get to balls in the outfield... but, what a knucklehead most of the time.  I hope he does well in Milwaukee.  Fun player, but frustrating.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Twins trade Gomez to Brewers for JJ Hardy
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 11:54:22 AM »
It sounds like Gomez has high potential but has yet to live up to that potential.  It almost seems like both Hardy and Gomez have been underachieving recently and it might be the best thing for them just to be in a new setting and to get regular playing time.  I like the moves for the Brewers because it gives us some speed both in the outfield to get to balls and on the basepaths.  If he can find it at the plate he may be the perfect fit for what this team needs...a guy who will hit for average and wreak havoc on the bases.

As far as JJ Hardy goes, he has a great glove and a great arm, but below average range at shortstop.  If he can get to the ball it's as good as an out.  Offensively he is one of the most streaky hitters that I have ever seen.  The 2 seasons before this one, he would have half of a season where he was one of the best offensive players in baseball, and then half of a season where he would hit .195.  Last year he just had a full season of the bad.  If he can be consistent at the plate he is a very good player.  He won't steal any bases or stretch any singles into doubles like the Twins like to do, though.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

LON

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 11:59:27 AM »
As Wades alluded to Hardy will go off on a tear for 20 games and then his at-bats get uglier than Steve Phillips' girl for 20 games...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 12:03:40 PM »
I like the trade for many of the reasons suggested - fills needs for both teams and gets both players into new situations.

However, while I'm not a huge fan of Mike Cameron, the Brewers just got even more younger.  It would be nice if they could bring in someone with a little more experience.

groove

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 12:06:34 PM »
The move also frees up about $14mil for the brewers (assuming Cameron is now gone), which i assume they will use in trying to get more starting pitching.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 12:12:34 PM »
And the STD rate in Milwaukee just went down by 1. Tell the women in the TC to make JJ wrap it up.

JJ = Awesome Arm, Average Glove, Below Average Range. Hits like Pedro Cereno. Straight ball he hit berry berry well, but curve ball, bats afraid.

I like that this cleared up $14+ Million off the payroll.
But I like to throw handfuls...

LON

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 12:31:48 PM »
Bring back Counsell and Frankie Cat for veteran leadership

OneMadWarrior

• Team Captain
  • Wish I was at the Maui Invitational
    • The Truth
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 12:43:08 PM »
Bring back Counsell and Frankie Cat for veteran leadership

Leadership, what kind of leadership did Cat provide, besides the weird 80's song he came out to.
“When I was losing, they called me nuts. When I was winning they called me eccentric.”

~Al McGuire

Correct morals arise from knowing what man is—not what do-gooders and well-meaning old Aunt Nellies would like him to be.
~Robert Heinlein

LON

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 12:46:06 PM »
Leadership, what kind of leadership did Cat provide, besides the weird 80's song he came out to.

Ok, bring back Counsell for leadership, bring back Cat just for that awesome intro music.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 01:07:43 PM »

a guy who will hit for average and wreak havoc on the bases.

Gomez will never be that guy, but he can be a guy who plays gold glove centerfield and possibly bats .260 with a ton of speed on the bases. I just don't think he has the patience to hit for average.

For his salary (cheap young talent), he's a pretty good player... but I'm afraid that he's never going to be a professional hitter. He's never shown it at any level, so I don't know if he'll suddenly "figure it out" as they say.

With this said, he's very fun to watch and he's make the pitching staff better immediately with his defense. I think he's a big improvement over Cameron.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2009, 01:12:39 PM »
I strongly dislike this trade... that is to say I hate it.  

Gomez is worse than Cameron in every batting category and behind as a fielder.  The only positives are that they don't pay Cameron this year (hopefully?) and that Gomez is young and may benefit from Willie Randolph.

JJ Hardy had a bad year this year, but he has also had good years.  Gomez, not so much.

Now that Melvin has the money he needs to go out and get 2 great pitchers... which will be impossible since there aren't GREAT pitchers available.  He needs to decline Looper and Kendall's option and cut ties.

I am very disappointed and I feel like the Brewers are just trying to play status quo while they wait for the pitching prospects (wait, which pitching prospects?) to come up from Single A Brevard (Oh wait, Rodgers has gotten shelled in the AFL his last 3 starts... so much for our best pitching prospect!) to restock.  At which point Fielder will be in NYC with a bursting piggy bank and the Brewers will be... well... the Brewers we have seen for the last 10 years.

god dammit.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 01:31:34 PM by Hards_Alumni »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2009, 01:13:52 PM »
Gomez will never be that guy, but he can be a guy who plays gold glove centerfield and possibly bats .260 with a ton of speed on the bases. I just don't think he has the patience to hit for average.

For his salary (cheap young talent), he's a pretty good player... but I'm afraid that he's never going to be a professional hitter. He's never shown it at any level, so I don't know if he'll suddenly "figure it out" as they say.

With this said, he's very fun to watch and he's make the pitching staff better immediately with his defense. I think he's a big improvement over Cameron.

perhaps you missed all of the great catches Cam had in Center the last 10 years... you know, while he won gold gloves.

MU1984

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2009, 01:23:22 PM »
gomez is better in center than cameron, but not by much.  both are the best at their crafts.  gomez is a project at the plate where cameron will crank out 20-25 HRs/yr.

this trade makes sense with the brewers two ways.  biggest one:  they save a ton of cash.  secondly, they dont lose an edge on the defensive side in CF.  you need solid IF and CF to help out young/questionable pitching.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2009, 01:27:05 PM »
gomez is better in center than cameron, but not by much.  both are the best at their crafts.  gomez is a project at the plate where cameron will crank out 20-25 HRs/yr.

this trade makes sense with the brewers two ways.  biggest one:  they save a ton of cash.  secondly, they dont lose an edge on the defensive side in CF.  you need solid IF and CF to help out young/questionable pitching.

so, you really think the Brewers would have resigned Mike Cameron to another $10 million per year contract?

seriously, you think that?

MU1984

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2009, 01:31:10 PM »
so, you really think the Brewers would have resigned Mike Cameron to another $10 million per year contract?

seriously, you think that?

what says they wouldnt have offered him say one year for 8mil?  they sure werent going to start gerut out there with no other options...seriously

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2009, 01:31:52 PM »
What a horrible deal for the Brewers.  Sure they had to move Hardy but why fall for a crap 'toolsy' outfielder who will never end up up doing much in the majors?  The Twins foolishly fell for Gomez in that awful Santana deal  -- but to find another suitor who craved him after the season he just had is insane.

MU1984

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2009, 01:34:39 PM »
What a horrible deal for the Brewers.  Sure they had to move Hardy but why fall for a crap 'toolsy' outfielder who will never end up up doing much in the majors?  The Twins foolishly fell for Gomez in that awful Santana deal  -- but to find another suitor who craved him after the season he just had is insane.

according to melvin this deal was more attractive then any pitching he was offered which makes sense.  who is going to cough up significant pitching for a guy you know is going to be moved?  whats debatable is if adding gamel or hart to the deal to try and get a quality arm was or should have been attempted.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2009, 01:36:21 PM »
Lopez and Cam are both Type B Free Agents...meaning the compensation is less, should they decline the arbitration and go elsewhere. Today, Melvin said this trade means they ill not puruse resigning Cam. Lopez is the epitome of clubhouse cancers. Everyone hates him. It usually takes awhile for him to wear out his welcome...not in MIL though...they are already tired of his shtick.

I am a bit puzzled by this move, at least the timing of it. It is very early in the offseason, and I am just surpised that Melvin didnt want to wait to see how things played out.  It was clear that Hardy was going to get traded as soon as they sent him down. I just expected him to be used in a trade for  SP, not an underachieving OF with a .292 carrer OBP.  Hardy was their most tradable asset this offseason, and this is just not what I expected the Brewers to get for him.

In the end, there is always more to every story, beyond what is released to the media. I am confident that Melvin did his due dilliegence and determined that this was the best offer he was going to get for Hardy.  

According to Hardicourt, He said today, "...Melvin said he did explore pitching possibilities with other clubs in exchange for Hardy but wasn't offered anything tempting enough to turn down the Gomez deal."

The FA ptching market is very thin, with John Lackey leading the way. He is likely to get the Suppan treatment from some team...a big contract for a pitcher who doesnt deserve it.  I recently saw that the Dodgers declined the option on John Garland, so he is a possiblity.  As with free agency in any sport, the market sets the price, and players are usually paid more than they are worth...ESPECIALLY with Starting Pitchers.  We shall see....

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2009, 01:37:16 PM »
according to melvin this deal was more attractive then any pitching he was offered which makes sense.  who is going to cough up significant pitching for a guy you know is going to be moved?  whats debatable is if adding gamel or hart to the deal to try and get a quality arm was or should have been attempted.

Pitchers and catchers report in 105 days.  Nothing better might emerge in 105 days?  This was the best Melvin could do to fill CF and move Hardy?  sigh
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 01:40:48 PM by NYWarrior »

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2009, 01:40:27 PM »
perhaps you missed all of the great catches Cam had in Center the last 10 years... you know, while he won gold gloves.

Cameron was a great outfielder. No doubt.

But, he won a total of 3 gold gloves (impressive, but not HOF), and doesn't have the same range anymore.

Not many 37 year old CF's with a lot of range out there.

If you want to talk specifically about "great catches", Gomez was one of the tops in the league in Web Gems while getting limited playing time.

Trust me, you will love Gomez's fielding. His hitting will make you cringe, but his fielding is awesome.

MU1984

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2009, 01:41:32 PM »
Pitchers and catchers report in 105 days.  This was the best Melvin could do to fill CF and move Hardy?  sigh

Pitching, CF and C all needed to be addressed.  If Melvin wasnt going to get quality pitching, but could cross one of those off with a young player with upside who plays solid defense and move on - why not do it.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2009, 01:45:51 PM »
according to melvin this deal was more attractive then any pitching he was offered which makes sense.  who is going to cough up significant pitching for a guy you know is going to be moved?  whats debatable is if adding gamel or hart to the deal to try and get a quality arm was or should have been attempted.

according to Melvin the Brewers pitching last year was going to be pretty good.

we are talking about a man who signed Suppan to a straight retarded contract, and then turned around and gave Looper (a 5 at best) a contract of a 3rd starter!

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2009, 01:47:32 PM »
Pitching, CF and C all needed to be addressed.  If Melvin wasnt going to get quality pitching, but could cross one of those off with a young player with upside who plays solid defense and move on - why not do it.

That'd be fine if he traded for a CF with upside.  Gomez sucks....OPB of .290, horrible adjusted OPS with huge strikeout rates.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/g/gomezca01.shtml

MU1984

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2009, 01:48:37 PM »
Gomez is headed to quadruple A now...that will all go up.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2009, 01:48:54 PM »
according to Melvin the Brewers pitching last year was going to be pretty good.

we are talking about a man who signed Suppan to a straight retarded contract, and then turned around and gave Looper (a 5 at best) a contract of a 3rd starter!

The Jeff Suppan signing had as much to do with Mark A., as it did with Doug Melvin. Thats the problem with acquiring Starting Pitchers via Free Agency...you are ALWAYS going to overpay.  Just wait until John Lackey starts getting offers...